Author Topic: The pond is a bloody mess, but...  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
The pond is a bloody mess, but...
« on: October 23, 2007, 07:07:58 AM »
Here in the "flats" we are safe and sound.  My canopy net that has been so good (Herons) is ripped asunder.
The debris I can remove.  The evaporation rate is sky hi and keeping topped off is a top priority.

Many have lost homes and all their possesions.  So we are fortunate,
Hearts go out to those less fortunate. :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The pond is a bloody mess, but...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 07:40:49 AM »
It's really scarey to think about those fires.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 08:29:52 AM »
I've been fortunate this time around, so far just wind and dust but today it's calm and clear.  There are some fires within a half hour of me, but nothing that would casue alarm here.  No smell of smoke, no ashes...but San Diego has had 300,000 evacuations and has lost about 5,000 homes.   So far, I haven't heard anything about containment, which means these will keep going as long as the wind keeps up in those areas.  It's all very sad

I take that back...just went outside and there's a faint smell of smoke in the air.

It's hard to work here from home when I know that all my co-workers/friends are evacuated and are losing their homes.  Our building has been evacuated since yesterday just after lunch, I'm an hour north of SD. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 09:11:58 AM by Blind 'Too »
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 08:38:53 AM »
So far we are safe and very lucky.  I know there is alot of ash in my neighborhood and it's mess outside.  My trees are clean with all the wind we have.  But the debris is all over the ground and most likely the ponds  :(

Praying this nightmare goes away......

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:19:02 AM »
I am glad to hear that you are all ok. most of my inlaws  and close friends live in San Diego. Poway, Escondido, Ranch Bernardo, Ramona, Vista and Oceanside, some have had to do a mandatory evacuation others are on standby to do so. My uncle is a Lt. in the Fire Department, not only did he have to do a mandatory evac but all Fireman and policeman have been recalled, no one is off the clock. He is busy putting out fires in his own neighborhood trying to keep in his neighbors houses from burning down while his wife is evacuating the animals and the irreplaceables in his own. Still have been unable to reach one of my close friends who lived on the canyon. Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 01:22:25 PM »
A close friend lives in a small mountain community called Green Valley Lake which is located between Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead.  All personnel, including firefighters, evacuated last night so that they wouldn't get trapped as fire came into that community.  As I write this she may or may not have a home to return to.  To make matters worse, she spends the weekends at her elderly parents home in the La Canada/Flintridge area and does shopping for them.  She was there yesterday as well taking her mom to a doctor's appointment.  Thus she was not able to grab stuff from her house.  She's a writer and may loose all her work....  I just hope she took her laptop with her when she went down to her parents home.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 02:07:14 PM »
Those fires are the closest to me, but still 40+ minutes away.  I was watching the news...they evacuated more people from San Diego than the entire population of San Francisco.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 03:32:03 PM »
Glad you hear you all are safe, but it sounds like a mess.  I hope the weather conditions get better so they can get it contained.  Shame we couldn't blow some of our rains out there.  My heart goes out to those families that are loosing everything.

After a long severe summer drought, were now non-stop rain.  Its rained straight for 2 days now, were up to over 7 inches in the past two days.  The weather, natural disasters are horrible.  Its every where you look or hear. 

Keep safe you all.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:13:50 PM »
Thinking of those of you in SoCal from down here in the Yucatan.  I've been watching it on the Seattle news (we have it on satellite) and the LA stations on line.  It's horrible.  I grew up in Santa Barbara and lived through several huge fires but this is like nothing I've seen before.  Just wanted to send my thoughts and hopes that none of you are personally effected.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 07:46:52 AM »
Well said Jonna.
here is my formerly lush pond.  The photo is a bit small, but see the netting and lotus.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:53:30 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 11:50:50 AM »
Jerry your pond still looks pretty good to me! Hopefully you won't have too much damage.
What a horrible situation for so many people. The pictures look like Hell, no other way to describe it.
Thoughts and prayers to everyone out there.
Kathy

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 11:55:12 AM »
 Thanks Perplexed.  We are fine, the pond will be fine.
For some reason I can't post a larger photo.  OOoppps I did,  Same effort as before. Computers will always be a mysterey.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:55:11 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"