Author Topic: Tropical lily question.. elfe here she is. ......Thanks Bunnie. she is stunning  (Read 889 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Not a good shot and she is getting ready to close for the day but I am in a mega hurry.  This is a red flare night bloomer that bunnie sent me and she is stunning and bloomed her head off.. I just cant let her die for winter. 

My question is I am shutting down my pond today &  tomorrow leaving for Florida for my cruise.  I will be gone two weeks and am afriad it will frost etc when I am gone so I want to get the pond covered and everything out so I dont come home to a mess of dead plants and leaves.

I tried to show how big she is.. I think there is 2 or maybe 3 plants down in there.  I would like to devide it and send the bigger part to El jefe to try to winter over in florida, but I would like to devide and save part of it to see if I can winter it over here.

Not sure how to do this as we dont have a frost yet and I have no clue if there is tubers in there etc?  If I take it out to devide, what do I do with the part I am wanting to keep here?  IS it to warm to pull her out of the pond, still in the 80's, do I need to leave that in there till frost hits, which will probalby happen while I am gone on the cruise.    Should I try to winter over in the frig or I have an empty equarium but have no idea or the time to set it up before I leave.  ANy recommendations greatly appreciated.

tinkster

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Sean?? Timgod??? Ideas?
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
Tinkster , WOW , it really got nice & big for u ! It look's Great !

Divideing a tropical waterlily........hmmmm....well ..ahhhh , U don't actually divide it .
They're not like the hardy kind. What you'll have to do is take it out of the pot & rinse all
 the dirt off until all the nice white root's show. Look in the root's real good & maybe they'll be some
small tuber's hidden in them....babie's....atleast that's been happening to me . Been finding so many
babies (?) in the root's ....new plant's for next year.... @O@ .

I take the smaller tuber's & put them in a 10 gal. aquaium with a grow light  .

I hope this help's ya,
bonnie

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
yes it did!  Thank you.. I would have taken the thing out and chopped it up like do hardies and probalby killed the whole thingy.

So I should take it out.. wash it off.. harvest my baby, then wrap the lily in wet newspaper and send to el jefe?? or does he has to have a "baby" left in there also or will it just keep growing in his pond?

tinkster

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
yes it did!  Thank you.. I would have taken the thing out and chopped it up like do hardies and probalby killed the whole thingy.

So I should take it out.. wash it off.. harvest my baby, then wrap the lily in wet newspaper and send to el jefe?? or does he has to have a "baby" left in there also or will it just keep growing in his pond?

tinkster

Wash off all the dirt , check in the root's for smaller tuber's , wrap in wet newspaper ( big lily) & send to El Jefe .

bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"