Author Topic: Looking for tool to remove lily pads for winter cleanup  (Read 1114 times)

Offline suzy-q

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Looking for tool to remove lily pads for winter cleanup
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:18:03 AM »
As the temps here in Michigan have dipped into the 40's, I've begun to think about cleaning up the pond. I would love to find something that would allow me to remove the lily pads without getting into the pond. My pond is about 20ft x 20ft and 3ft deep. I bought a tool from a company a few years back that had piece of metal on a pole, but was never able to get it to work right. Anyone have something that works? Thanks.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for tool to remove lily pads for winter cleanup
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:56:17 AM »
Esther had a pole with a hook at the end of it to retrieve pots, in the DIY column.  I made something similar to pull off spent lily blooms and yellow pads.  But my pond is way smaller than yours.  You probably can do this with a long metal pole and a sharp hook at the end.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 09:03:33 AM by miguynmkoi »

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »
I use chestwadders and my fingers, or pruners.  I'd rather be in then reach from shore.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 05:07:22 PM »
I was going to be a smart alec and tell you to look at the end of your thumb (thumbnail). But I won't. Johns had a DIY pruner I think on his site. I'll look and get the link. Phooey, the link I had on my bookmarks didn't work. I then did a Google on DIY pond lily pruner and here's some links.  http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ponds/msg0820350723072.html 

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors

Offline Cindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 06:45:36 AM »
I purchased a long handle pruner last year and that worked great for me.  This year I had to repot my lilies so I took advantage of the warm weather we had a couple weeks ago and got in the pond and took care of everything then.  Funny thing is that we had that warm spell last week and one lily sent up two pads.  Michigan weather has been wonderful this year!   o(:-)
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 09:00:09 AM »
I made Johns pruner too, works well, but using chest hi waders is easier for me. At least if there is a lot of clean-up.  The water is pretty cool here too, no, mot like MI.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"