Author Topic: Do you name your fish?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Do you name your fish?
« on: September 12, 2007, 06:10:32 PM »
  I know it's kinda silly, but with only 6 fish I do name mine.
  2  goldies, Carole (Burnette) and Lucy (Ball), 2 comets , Spot and Creamcicle (orange head and tail, creamy center)and 2 shubunkens  Shubby Checkers and Bunkin.
  And yours?
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do you name your fish?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 06:24:58 PM »
The 3 Koi have names, Big black and white one is "MiniMo" it is a food aggessive monster just like my dog Moana, so got named after her!!
  Orange one named "Zoe" and Orange and black one named "Nemo" my grandsons picked out these two so they got to name them.

The 6 Shubunkins are not named, but after today I could be calling them names I can not say on this website!!!  {:-P;;
 I found all 3 Living a good life in the Skimmer!!! And took forever to get them out!!  o( Lets just say I dont think they like me anymore!! o(
Lori TX

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 06:30:08 PM »
I definitely name mine:
Huge one-eyed Black Moor-Bitsy
Huge Calico Fantail-Oscar
3 Fantails-Hot Lips, Rosie, Baby
Comets-Michael, Janet, Latoya
My volunteer Goldie-Squirt
Koi-Ghost, Joe, Harley, Davidson, Goldie, Pony Boy, Angel, Mason, Moon, Crystal, Patches, Joy, Pumpkin Head and Carrot

Otherwise it would be hard to talk with them.
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 07:06:08 PM »
Not all of our fish are named...some are generic, can't-tell-them-apart common goldies.  But Mario has kept his cute little black mustache.  Muji is lemon yellow as opposed to organge red.  Tuna is a large comet with long, long flowing white fins.  Twila is a huge bronze goldfish.  Cow Koi is a black and white koi...his name descibes his appetite and his coloration.  Cali-koi is a tricolor koi (a play on calico.)  Our golden butterfly koi is Captain Jack.  The shubunkins are Rose and Sonic.  We have Rufus, a bicolor comet.  The bluegill is just The Bluegill.  We should call her something interesting, she has such personality.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 07:27:13 PM »
Most of the fish we have are named.  Lots are named for their appearance or actions.
Koi: Tangy, Shoji, Tiger, Jack (lost twin Jill), Oscar.
GF: Chuck, Sharky, Preggie, Houdini, Ebony, Ivory
Wakins: Christopher Wakin, Lola, Preshus, and Joaquin
Shubunkins: Black Eye Jack, Gilbert, Emo, James Bond (wears tuxedo), Chili, FloJo, and Bono.

Thanks for looking!  8-)~ o(

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 07:54:41 PM »
Christopher Wakin...too funny!!! ;D

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 09:00:52 PM »

Nope.  No names at my place.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 09:03:41 PM »
I have a few that has names.

Black/White Koi....names lucky. 

One reason :for me rescuing him from a pet shop.

Second reason: I had just moved two of them over into the new pond.  I had checked many, many times through out the day.  Had a momma instinct to check one more time before going to get the kids at the bus stop, they were pretty small at the time ( my kids ).  Well, I couldn't find but one of them.   Then I saw my lab messing with something, sure enough it had jumped out of the pond.  Had flopped over about 4 feet away from the pond and was covered in dirt.  If it wasn't for my lab, messing with him and making him move I wouldn't have saw him.   He was pretty dried out, but he recovered.  So, he's double lucky.

Then I have a big Plantium Koi, dh calls him Jaws because he's so much bigger than the other 3 I got at the same time, but were all the same size when put into the pond.

I have a Butterfly that is a suvivor from a spawn in the pond.  She's white with just a little creamy orange here and there.  I think she looks like and angel.  Hmmm, that would be a good name.  She does have large flowy fins.

Then there is a black/greyish butterfly.  The ends of his fins are a silvery white and look like wings.  Kids say he reminds them of a grim reaper  costume at Halloween time or from Harry potter, with the cape all spread out.  I've never really called him that.   Would love to get a pic of him, but his color makes it so hard.

There are many other fish out there, but these are the only few to have a name.

Kim
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:47:43 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 03:59:19 PM »
We have a few with names, and many without.  A light gold longfin goes by the name "Ladyfish" after the new underwater love interest of Don Knotts, in the movie "The incredible Mr. Limpet".  (Her voice was done by Elizabeth MacRae).

Another is called "Greedy" for obvious reasons.   

Then there is "Jay" who took several years to learn to eat at the water surface, and remained a "bottom feeder" until finally figuring it out.  Jay was named after an attorney that my wife once worked for.  (Do ya get it???) @O@ @O@ @O@

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 04:52:27 PM »
Only one of mine are named and that is Nemo, one of the baby koi.

I'll say the same here as I said at GW. Why do you name your fish? So you can put there names on little grave stones after a predator gets them? ::)

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 05:37:21 PM »
  Well, if the preditors get them there's no body to bury! >:(-
  I often get the same kind of fish I have lost and give them the same name. Saves some of the memory cells! :o  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:01:11 PM »
LOL@ Johns & Nancy

I don't like naming them because it's almost like a curse.  They grow and develop their personalities and final color and it seems like then when I name them they end up a floater in a week or two....  Names have been the kiss of death with the exception of a koi named by the fetching one.  She named him Gary, don't ask me why, and that koi has managed to avoid the kiss of death by being named.  He's been Gary for at least 4 or 5 years.  Just a moment...  okay, I'm back.  Had to make sure Gary was still alive and well....  None of our other fish have names.........and I think they want it that way for obvious reason....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 07:28:33 PM »
I 've got one called " ugly duckling"  because nobody seem's to know what kind of fish she is & she is just plain UGLY !

I don't have any name's for the other's.

bonnie

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 08:44:02 AM »
Yeah, one of the checkers at our local PetSmart said she used to name the fish people bought.  But she says she had to stop that, because every fish she named came back to the store - dead.

Perhaps Mikey has a point.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 12:56:06 PM »
I have sat out there and sat out there trying to get a pic of the greyish/black butterfly with no luck.  I take his pic and he doesn't show up.  One of these days I'll get one of him.

Kim

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 05:08:04 PM »
Kim, all of mine are camera shy. I have to trick them to get a pic. ::)

Happy ponding,
Scott
o( o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 06:12:41 PM »
There not so much as camera shy, its just his color.  He blends in too much.  If there is any kind of shadow, you will not see him.  You take a pic, he's in it but you can barely tell he's there.  When I cut the hardy pads back for winter, I should be able to get one of him (fingers crossed).

Kim

Offline tizzylizzy

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 10:02:36 AM »
Absolutely!!
My domestic koi is OJ (for orange juice color) and my butterfly koi is Nike like the sneaker.
My shubbys are Cee cee, Paulie and Gizmo.
I have some pearly white fish called Big white, pearl and lace, snowflake.
And some of my other fish are named Rudy, smidge, lily.
tizzylizzy

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 12:11:28 PM »
Sure I do. My three fancy goldies are Finley (red cap Oranda), Jade (black moor) and Pearl (pearlscale).
One of two koi out in the big pool is named Sunkist. The other one hasn't been named yet because I haven't thought of a good one for him.
My bettas are Zorro, Trash Can Man and Smokey.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 05:12:34 PM »
Here a somewhat pic of that greyish/black butterfly koi.  He just don't stand out in a pic.  Gonna try again after we cut the pads back for the winter.  Also a bad pic of my favorite baby Butterfly. 

Kim

Look how the water distorted that one koi, looks like a fun house mirror.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 05:20:26 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 05:17:57 PM »
I thought maybe that was Gumby.    ::)

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 05:21:20 PM »
That's a good one Julles.

Kim

Offline PondFish

• Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 01:07:19 PM »
Yes I name my fish -- Fat Boy, Greedy, Mr. Orange, The Ghost and the two newest, the Mermaid Twins, who will get permanent names when I get to know them better.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 10:33:11 AM »
Haven't you heard the phrase, "If you name they, they will die."

Mine are Tiger (gold with black stripe like blotches), Blue (mostly a blackish navy blue), Pearl (all white butterfly, no scales), Spooky (blotchy black and orange), Lucy (red head), Fedorah (black spot on his head.  Fedora being a hat), Sunshine (all gold butterfly), Lemon (small yellow butterfly) and I don't remember the rest.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 11:52:52 AM »
We also have names for most, just a few goldfish don't, but even most of them you can tell apart.  Heck even my aquarium fish have names.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline jax

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 05:42:28 PM »
Yes, I name my fish.  The shubunkin is Sierra.  3 comets are Oscar, Tango and Whiskey.  The sarrassa are Charlie and Echo.  The two babies from this years hatchlings are Romeo and Juliet.  As you can tell this is the alphabetical names used by pilots, police, military, etc.  We have a bed and breakfast here at our home, and this spring and fall we had many pilots come here for glider compititions and they taught us the alphabet they use.  Also, being a paramedic, I was use to that in our call signs so I  O0chose the names from that.  I call the two green frogs Milo and Fergie.  Everything around here gets a name, right down to the oppusums, skunks, groundhogs and stray cats that come in to eat our cats food on the back porch eat night. 
Jax

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 05:46:21 PM »
Smart thinking Jax!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"