Author Topic: Looking for opuntia cactus  (Read 1481 times)

Offline patsy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Looking for opuntia cactus
« on: October 03, 2007, 02:42:11 PM »
Hi folks,

I am currently trying to create a cactus and succulent garden in my yard. Something a  little different from the ponds and bog areas!
 I need plants that are zone 5 hardy. So far, I have located a nice yellow flowered variety of Opuntia named "Humifusa". But, I would also like to have The Beaver Tail cactus "Opuntia Basilaris," which is a pink flowered variety. I have searched the web to no avail for a source for this cactus. I would really appreciate any help you could give me. I did find seeds for the Basilaris but would of course prefer a live plant, or just a pad from one. Surely, there must be one available somewhere.... These cactus are native to the U.S.

Thanks for any help you can offer.....Patsy
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for opuntia cactus
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:24:51 AM »
I looked on-line at a couple of the better local cactus nurseries I use and didn't see your cactus listed.  Since you are looking for a specific cactus, I suggest sending e-mails to various cactus societies requesting their assistance. 

Here's a link to a list of some California cactus societies: http://www.cactuscenter.com/societies.htm
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 08:47:02 AM »
Patsy,

I have an opuntia collected wild in North Carolina that grows about 3-4 feet high with pads 3-4 inches wide and 6-8 inches long that roots easily and blooms with a pretty yellow flower.  I have enough of this plant to supply you with all you could ever want.  Will be glad to mail pads to you for postage.  Warning! handle with pliers only!

On  a plant 10 years old, I have counted 230 blooms at one time.

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 08:57:01 PM »
Mikey, thanks for your suggestions! Actually, I finally got smart and posted in a "Cactus Forum". And I have gotten an offer for a trade. So, hopefully, I will be able to get the cactus before the snow flies. We already have fresh snow on the mountain tops. YUK! :(

Johns, Gees, I hope you don't want to send the whole plant!  ;D  Actually, I am looking for one that will be hardy to zone 5. because I live in northwestern Montana. I don't think one native to N.C. would be quite tough enough.
 I already do have one that blooms yellow flowers and is hardy to zone 4. It is a low grower, AND spineless, as is the pink flowered O. Basilaris that I'm looking for. I have four dogs and lots of grandkids. So don't want one that is going to tear up the kids and critters.
Thanks so much for your kind offer.

Patsy 
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 11:42:51 AM »
I never realized that cactus were that cold hardy until someone told me that there is a native cactus up in our local mountains that lives at the 8,000 foot level.

I swear that John Johns has to be one of the most generous people out there.  He's always offering up plants and such and his website is full of usefull DIY information. 

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 04:21:34 PM »
Be aware that spineless cacti often have little fuzzy hairs instead that are very painful and itchy and hard to get out of your skin. Duct tape works well. Just don't think they are cute and pet them.  {:-P;;
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 08:22:38 PM »
Thanks LeeAnne,
 Oh yeah! I've had house plant cacti for many years. I know all about those LITTLE guys. I have more of a problem though with the little buggars in larch fire wood. They get ya when ya ain't expenting it. I think they're more irritating too.

Mostly I don't want the LONG spines tearing up the kids and animals.

But, I'll tell ya what, I'll think of you and reach for the duct tape whenever I forget and start petting them little guys.

Thanks Patsy
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 09:23:41 AM »
Duct tape works well
LOL  LeeAnne; you advice came in too late for me....  I used to have some bunny-ear cactus in my little cactus garden.  It has very fine needles, almost fur-like.  They are so fine that when the cactus is disturbed the smaller fine needles even become airborne.  The cactus was very interesting looking but after several years of getting those tiny little needles in my hands/arms every time I worked around the darn thing I finally decided to remove it.  Even though I wore long-sleeves and leather gloves those darn things go into my fingers, hands and arms.  I wore a painters filter over my mouth so at least I didn't inhale them.  In any event, I then spent the next several days being irritated by those tiny little needles.  I used a magnifying glass and tweezers but even so they were very difficult to see.  I wish I had known about the duct tape advice then :D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"