Author Topic: Rugby World Cup Finals  (Read 1012 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Rugby World Cup Finals
« on: October 14, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
It is England vs South Africa next Saturday in Paris.

In the semi finals England beat France (the host country) and South Africa just finished beating Argentina.
This tournement has had strange and unexpected twists. That New Zealand and Australia (rugby power houses) could have been eliminated so early is unusual, and in the quarter finals for South Africa to have trouble squeaking by Fiji just is not on.

I must phone the South African consulate here in Beverly Hills, and find out if there is an "official pub" to go watch the game and cheer on the Springboks.

England is the defending champion, but last time these two teams met, South Africa wiped the field with them, with an almost embarrasing 36 - 0 victory, so should make a very interesting match.

Go Boks!

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Rugby World Cup Finals
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 03:39:29 PM »
Nice to see you "Stoked" on Rugby!  Nice sport indeed!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 05:58:13 PM »
  My BIL is an international Rugby Ref!
  DH and 2 brothers went to school in Scotland (with Tony Blair), played a bunch of rugby, had a bunch of broken noses!
  2 of my BIL's became coaches on the college level, and 1 became something like in charge of the referees of the Western Region and travels the world reffing!
  I'm one of few US people who kind of understand rugby (note KIND OF) Though it is getting more popular!  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 06:57:55 PM »
Hey Jerry and Nancy -
Rugby is a religion in South Africa. If we lost an international match, we would call out the Air Force.

Today, we are out of the international boycott that apartheid brought down on us, and once again can dominate the world of rugby and cricket - as we can - but will my face be red if England beats us next Saturday.

South Africa of my youth was split between English and Dutch (Afrikaans) speaking. We English dominated the world of international cricket, and the Afrikaaners ruled the rugby world.

Big surprize in the early 90's when the blacks took over the country, and were interested in soccer - and that is not the main reason why we fled to California.

Anyway - will not get into a political dicussion here, but I invite all (who do not currently live in England) to support the South African Springboks next Saturday

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 08:57:36 PM »
Next time we get together you are going to have to explain rugby to me.  I've watched that sport on T.V. a few times and I couldn't figure out what was going on or why...

And Cricket.....that's another one I don't understand....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"