Author Topic: As Requested, Pix More Pix,  (Read 3111 times)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
As Requested, Pix More Pix,
« on: October 02, 2007, 05:37:49 PM »
Mcp and Tinkster, Here is a couple of pix I took this year, but please keep in mind I didn't do much with the pond this year. Mostly just what had to be done. :redface: I did get some more plants on the banks like I said but don't have new pix.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 03:56:35 PM by happyoutsidegirl »
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: As Requested, Pix
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 05:43:27 PM »
I'm not Tinkster or MCP but had to comment on your pond. It's beautiful!! Thanks for sharing pics.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Sandyd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 06:42:56 PM »
You have a very beautiful pond.

I love your dropping waterfall.  I have always wanted a high one that just dropped but do not have the inginuity to build one.  Mine always seem to just cascade.

Love the plantings also.

Offline TerryB

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 06:50:28 PM »
   Wow really nice looking pond and clear water. Really like the large leaves on your water plant. Missed it at first then noticed them above the other lilly leaves....nice.

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 08:43:10 PM »
Debbie, Thanks so much for posting beautiful pictures of your pond. @O@ You waterfall is really nice like how you have landscaped the bank. You don't have to apoligize for the way your plantings are. They are gorgeous. Love how nice and clear your water is. You can see koi on the bottom. Must be doing something right. Whats your secret? :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 09:54:37 PM »
Thanks everyone, :redface:it is a work in progress.
Cath I'm sorry I didn't realise tell now how rude that was. I didn't me to make it sound like it wasent meant for all. They had asked me the other night in the chatt room to post some.
Sandy, I didn't either,LOL! I just started digging tell I couldn't dig no more and that's what I got!
Terry Those big leaves are my Lotus I got from Johns this spring. It got even bigger and bloomed wonderfully. I just love it. o(:-)
MCP, Most of the plants on the bank havent filled out yet. First year sleepers, second year creepers, third year leapers, and most are only going on 2nd year. Secret?? I just use Microb lift products and clean the filter daily and the bio falls about everyother week? It's not always that clear belive me. I got the greenest watter award last year on the AQS forum last year. check it out lol
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 07:18:08 AM »
Happy I just love it!!!  I feel like a kindred spirit with you as our banks are so simliar and planting is so difficult.  I am finding with some of my 3 year leapers they are starting to get huge but they are starting that leaning forward from being planted on a sharp bank... so maybe back to the drawing board for me and to smaller plants that dont get so tall and "crocked" looking.

So enjoyed the chat the other night.  I have been soooo extremely busy this summer I havent even had time to post or do pictures and I needed that "ponding" time :)

thanks!

tinkster

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 07:45:15 AM »
Happy, Love your waterfall and pond.  Not too sure about the green water photo with the water chair.  Chair is inviting....Green water  :o

;D Nice chatting with you the other day too!

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 08:40:08 AM »
Tink, the banks are a challange arent they! :D This year I found some sweet little Plumbago plants. Nice shinney green with all summer and fall blooms. Sweet little blue ones. Then as the weather turns they start to turn red. Now they are full of red leaves and tons of blue little flowers. 1' tall and about the same spread. I had bouth 3 1 gal pots to start with then went back and she had the smaller pots so I bought 4 more! LOL! I'm thinking I even have a few more places that one would fit right in. I'll try and get out there today and get a pix of them for ya. Don't for get me this spring at divission time!
No That green shi~ isn't to cool! but what can I say. Yes that chatt room is fun. I get a bit confused :D tho when there are 3 or more in there. I'm a slow reader.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 08:58:33 AM »
Now THAT'S what I call a waterfall!  I wish I had the elevation in my yard to have been able to do a waterfall like that.  Very nice pond. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 09:05:05 AM »
Thanks Mikey, When I was digging it out I was wishing it wasen't so steep but now I'm happy
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
Re: As Requested, Pix More Pix,
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 04:06:11 PM »
Here are a few of the plumbeagos I planted. Enjoy them!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 08:23:47 PM »
Wow, that's incredible.  I really love your falls, the flowers, the lilies, your koi.  Espically the red, white and black one.  Ummm, did I say I loved your falls, flowers, lilies and koi.  I just can't say enough about it.  Its all so beautiful.

hey, how come your not in that chair?

Kim
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:32:15 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 04:53:06 AM »
Debbie, hi as always yours is one of the prettiest settings.  Was surprised though I never saw the pond from the first view, always thought your house was on top of the hill not the bottom, but I like it better now that it's on the bottom, what a fantastic view you have O0
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 06:55:46 PM »
Hi Marla! where the heck ya been? Thank You. I miss chatting with ya. How are you? OTG it's not at the top I would hate to treck up and down that hill with arms full of what ever. Did ya read I'm going to NYC for christmas? o(:-) I'm pumped  @O@ The thought of it has given me so much more motivation. I have really been lacking in that this year a lot.  :( How's your new pond doing? I never did git my little pond with the sistern finished. Lack of motivation again, but I hope to nest year. I'm thinking of selling and moveing closer to my kids? Still in the thinking stages tho? To maney what if's? Have you learned any more about going to your daughters place? Or when. Oh dear, I hope it's not when I'm in NY? :( I'd die knowing we got that close and didn't get together! :'(
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline mcp

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 06:37:13 AM »
Debbie Love your additioinal photos of Plumbo. They are very beautiful and really set your pond off. Thanks foe sharing.Tell us a little bit more about this plant. Is it a anual ? Makes me wonder about for next year. {:-P;;
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »
Hi Kim, LOL, since I was by myself that day I had no one to take the pix and I did try to set it  on the auto but I fell in trying to get in the da#^&* chair in like 8 seconds lol That great looking koi you mentioned was Dragon Head :'( He's the one I lost this summer? Not sure that he didn't just jump out on his own? I found him when I got home after being gone for 3 1/2 days :'( and thank you for the good words.
MCP, Hi,Plumbago is a perennial Hardy to -20 yes -20. It grows in Sun to part sade 18" tall and about 24" wide. It emerges late and blooms all summer and fall. We have had to good frosts now and there still going strong! @O@ That's my favorite kind of plant. I don't know if you can really see them much but in that set of pix at the top of the bank on the right next to a piese of wood there is a tufft of grass. It's a Tufted Hair Grass, Deschampsia, Northern Lights. But any way I got them at the same time and they have 3 colors. Green, yellow, and red. When the sun shines in them they just glow. I guess that's why Northern lights? Anyways They grow 12" tall and about the same wide. And hardy to -20 also. Now that I re look I missinformed about the plumbeagos in my first post of them? I said they were that size but actually a bit bigger.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 03:37:40 AM »
Beautiful pond and waterfall. Keep up the good work.

Joann

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 04:35:46 AM »
Thank you Joann, Say did you see that I'm comming to NY for the holidays? I know Dec and Jan arent the best times to show off ponds but maybe we can get together while I'm there for lunch or coctails or???and just meet.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 10:20:24 AM »
That is a great waterfall!

My plumbago is 4' wide after ten years. It spreads by underground runners but is not terribly invasive.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 11:16:13 AM »
Debbie,
  I didn't think you were rude. I didn't sound like the post was only for a couple so no worry, ok? Love all the pics.
  I hope your trip is a blast. You deserve something really special.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 05:54:20 PM »
Well I guess if I'm still here in 10 years it may look good? As long as it doesent take over everything? :D
Thank You Cath, your a doll! :hug:
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline jatfla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 07:13:22 PM »

Here's mine.  It's been neglected this summer, but has done pretty good on it's own.  It's app. 9' x 6'.  The fish have been food for the raccoons and the owl; or maybe it has been me.   :'(

But I love it.  I did the Fall cleaning up & out...getting ready for some cooler weather so we can enjoy the outside.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 04:28:50 AM »
Wow so plush and green! What is that you have around the border?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline jatfla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 06:14:30 AM »
We call it 'border grass' but I think it's real name is Liriope.  Easiest thing in the world to grow.  I liked it because it soften the edge of my bricks and covers a lot of *designer* flaws.  ;)  And another of it's intentions was to mark off how close the grandchildren could get to the water.  The observation point for them is suppose to be at that one end.  It's worked fairly well. 

OR are you talking about the moss that's covered most of the bricks?  If so, it did that all by itself.  I like it because it holds my brick edging together....sort a'.

Glad you thought it was nice.  It's mostly a shady one; but in Florida that's not a bad thing.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 06:31:56 AM »
Jatfla,
    I knew when I saw your pond I knew that I was seeing a local thing. Almost forgot that there was a board member in my neighborhood. (Need to post more.. ;D ) I have Lirope all around my pond, there are several types. I have both the Varigated (some call it aztec grass) and the dark green kind. I must admit yours is making a much nicer boarder than mine at this point. My Mom calls it monkey grass for some reason (I have no idea why). Lirope loves the water and it does well in well drained soil  as well great border accent. Home Depot sells it for a $1.99 for a decent sized plant. I have spent the last two weekends replacing the few that did not do well (my fault actually) with fresh troops.

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »
Giving me ideas again.... :D

I have Lirope all around my pond, there are several types. I have both the Varigated (some call it aztec grass) and the dark green kind.

I like!  O0

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 02:39:10 PM »
I bet that is not one though that would be a perenial in the frozen tundra (zone 4) :(
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 03:02:34 PM »

I think "lirope" refers to the taller variety, with thicker fronds.  It gets to about 12" tall.  There is also a giant version, which gets over 2' tall.  Both are available in solid colors or varigated.  I have some that is dark purple; showy, but it is v-e-r-y slow growing.

"Monkey grass" refers to the shorter variety with fine, thin, silky leaves, maybe 4"-6" long.  It's also called mondo grass, which may be where the nick name comes from.  Otherwise, put your mind in the gutter and you'll see where that name could also have come from.... {:-P;;

There is a very short one that is nice inbetween stepping stones, but it is pretty slow growing, too.

It's easy to divide - just dig it up and pull the chunks apart.  Most varieties grow so quickly they fill in in less than a month, and you never knew you chopped it up.  You can hardly kill the stuff!

Funny, lirope and monkey grass are so common down here in the coastal south, as a border and ground cover plant, it never occurred to me that other parts of the country might not be familiar.  Y'all should get some!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"