Author Topic: Remember when I asked about Barbie dolls?  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Remember when I asked about Barbie dolls?
« on: October 03, 2007, 02:50:52 PM »
Well I purchased a few odds and ends from Ebay and dressed the 6 of them. I also Googled "curling Barbie's hair" and set about styling their hair. A couple of them already had nice hair but the hair on the rest was just straight and real thick.

Karen J had told me she had a bunch of things I could have, including a horse. One of the Barbies had real long straight white hair. I had joked that she would be Lady Godiva Barbie and I wouldn't need clothes for her. So I had dressed her in white trimmed with black from the first set of clothes from Ebay. The horse came and his mane and tail were the same straight white hair as Barbie. His sadle and bridal were hot pink so I put a hot pink barrette in Barbie's hair and one in Horsie Barbie's tail. They are perfect together, look like a purchased set. Karen had included several pairs of shoes and I didn't have any. There were just the right shoes to match the clothes I had already dressed the dolls in. RAH!! Here's the 6 after I put the curlers in one of their hair and before Karen's gift arrived. By the way, to get the hair to curl, you dip it in boiling water a moment and then take the curlers out and it is curled. You let it dry and then style it. Here's the doll with the perm. I know it's a bad picture but you can see how curly it turned out. If it is beyond styling, I'll just dip it in boiling water again and it'll straighten out I guess.

Thanks so much Karen.

Do I sound like a 65 (tomorrow) year old lady who never had much in the way of dolls/toys, least of all Barbies? LOL
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 05:16:37 PM by Esther »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Remember when I asked about Barbie dolls?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 04:31:41 PM »
Happy Birthday Tomorrow Esther!!  I hope you enjoy yourself!

You did a fab job on the Barbies!  Very talented.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 05:53:31 PM »
Esther, I love the barbie & the white horse .... o(:-)..... They go so well together , like they were made & sold as a pair. U did a Great job on all of them.

OH , by the way I never had a barbie when I was a little girl either..... ;D

Happy Birthday tomarrow .

bonnie

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »
You did a great job Esther and Happy Birthday @O@ hope it is a very happy one!! o(:-)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 08:08:58 PM »
You are so talented and always amaize me! they look great! [Happy Birthday for tomarrow.[/[/size]color]I hope you have a wonderful day!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 08:25:38 PM »
What a great job you did on them.  Hmmm, that hair turned out great.  My daughter was walking through earlier when I was looking at them.  She said, can we do that to my barbies hair.  LoL, looks like I'm going to have to work on some of hers.  The white horse and barbie are the perfect match.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 05:54:13 AM »
Thanks for the birthday wishes guys.

Kim, google "curling Barbie hair". People use straws or doweling. I tried straws and stuck a quilting pin through it into Barbie's head  (OW) or the straw above. But it was horribly hard to get the ends to wrap around. Another thought. Use perm papers or what about tape? I didn't do that. They say to shampoo the hair and then use conditioner or fabric softener. Rinse it out and then put hair on curlers. Dip the curlers in boiling water a few moments and remove the curlers. Let the doll sit until the hair is dry. I don't know if I'm happy with the results or not. I can always take the curl out by dipping it in boiling water again. Barbie has more hair than any three women.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 07:35:19 AM »
Esther, they look great!

The one with the perm rods is especially funny.  I still have my original Barbie and Midge, they are very old and in sad shape.  The fourth one from the left in your group picture has the same eyes as mine.  I sure don't remember mine having such tiny waists and long necks!  I'll have to get them mine out and take another look at them, I have quite a few clothes and a nice case too.  I kept mine thinking I would have daughters, but had sons.  Now I'm waiting for granddaughters.

Happy Birthday!!!

Karen

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 08:32:11 AM »
Happy Birthday Esther!  Will be in Grand Rapids by the end of next week!  Going to be at the De Vos center showing rabbits there.

I had a Midge doll too!
Mary

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 08:58:46 AM »
Mary, end of next week. Don't be surprised if I show up. How will I know you?

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 09:50:41 AM »
Wow, Esther!! They look wonderful!! O0 O0

Yes, the doll fourth from the left is possibly an old doll. I can't tell from the picture. Mattel has made some reproductions of the old dolls in the last several years so it could be a repro. The vinyl of the old dolls is kind of a beige color. The repros are a light peachy color in order to be able to easily recognize them as a new doll.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 10:42:31 AM »
Yes, I still have my Midge, too!  Well, it was actually my mom's who passed it down to me.  I did lose her head, but I bought another one on eBay.  Esther, you did a fabulous job!  And one of those Barbies is indeed old.  I can't remember her name, though.  I used to sell old things like Barbies on eBay, but I am out of touch, it's been awhile.

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 10:42:53 AM »
I mean I lost the doll's head, not my mom's.   lol

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 11:24:19 AM »
I'm not sure it is an old one, it maybe one of the reproductions of the old Barbies.

That one looks so funny with all the perm rods on her head. lol
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 08:13:14 PM »
Esther, I love the barbie & the white horse .... o(:-)..... They go so well together , like they were made & sold as a pair. U did a Great job on all of them.

OH , by the way I never had a barbie when I was a little girl either..... ;D

Happy Birthday tomarrow .

bonnie

That is so sad  :'(.  Maybe you will have some granddaughters to play dolls with one of these days  :).

Monica
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 08:21:01 PM »
Esther, The Barbies look fantastic! The hair is really amazing. They all look picture perfect. I'm so glad you like the horse.

I'm just shocked at that hair... I may have to try that. Wish it were that easy for human hair.  ;D

BTW, Happy Birthday!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 11:31:21 PM »
Mary, end of next week. Don't be surprised if I show up. How will I know you?

Well normally at a local show I'd say just ask someone...but here..  It's a slightly different story!!  At home shows may have 700-200 rabbits, our biggest being the state convention where there is usually 2000!  However this show in GR...try 22,000!!!

Maybe easiest to give me a call?? 509-930-1421

Esther there is a botanical garden now in GR that wasn't there when I lived there eons ago..is it worth seeing??

Mary
Mary

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 08:27:32 AM »
Thanks for the #. I will try to contact you somewhere along the line. 22,000 RABBITS???? Hardly imagineable!!

I suspect you are referring to Meijer Gardens on M37, sometimes called the Beltline across from Cornerstone College, the old Baptist college, between Michigan street and Leonard on the east side. This time of year the botanical stuff is pretty sparse. It costs maybe $12 to get in but they have lots of stuff. I haven't been there in several years. But it is very well done and they are expanding all the time. They have several water features, areas for children to do hands on learning, historical farm buildings, lots of sculptures, an inside rain forrest area where they have butterflies at times, not now. There are other displays of succulents, paintings, a lunch room and boutique. You don't get through it in a hurry. There are paved paths that go on and on. They have a little train that a person can ride to get from one area to another if they can't take the walking.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 02:22:23 PM »
Esther, those are great.  You are an endlessly resourceful woman!  :thumbup:  I admire your many, many talents.  Happy belated birthday.  emm

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"