Author Topic: Another winterizing question  (Read 762 times)

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Another winterizing question
« on: October 14, 2007, 08:56:50 PM »
I cut all of my hardy lilies back and lowerer them to the bottom of the pond and removed all of the water hyacinth and water lettuce from the ponds.  Am going to TRY overwintering some tropicals in the garage.

What should I do with the parrot feather and the elodea in my ponds in coldest part of zone 6?  Do I leave it in the pond or remove it all?  Is either hardy enough to survive under the ice?

Thanks, Ruth
Ruth

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Another winterizing question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:11:15 AM »
I have overwintered Parrot's Feather in the house in a planter of water. It because somewhat leggy but lived. I also overwintered it in a minnow trap laying on the bottom of the pond. Some survived but I won't do either again.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Another winterizing question
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:47:04 AM »
You can leave the parrots feather in the pond. If its potted (which is best) sink it to the deepest part. If its floating, gather it up, tie it together and sink it to the bottom and place a large rock or a brick on it to hold it down.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"