Author Topic: Transferring GF to Winter Indoor Tank  (Read 1420 times)

Offline GarryT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Zone 2b
  • With us since: 21/08/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Transferring GF to Winter Indoor Tank
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:21:59 PM »
I am planning to transfer my goldfish (4 of them approx. 4-5" in length) from the pond to an indoor tank of about 70 gallons. I plan to fill the tank with water transferred from the pond just prior to moving the fish to keep the water temperatures the same. The pond temperature is around 38F. I would guess that the tank water temperature would take a 3 - 4 hours to reach the indoor ambient temperature. Is this too much and rapid a temperature change for the fish? I've only had experience with tropicals which are not tolerant of any wide excursions of water temperature.

....Garry

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring GF to Winter Indoor Tank
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 09:15:21 PM »
It should not hurt them.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 03:28:02 PM »
That's what I do every year, but won't be this year being my vacuum I use isn't working well.  >:(-

It shouldn't hurt them, but next year I would get them in earlier before the water gets that cold. Your biobugs are probably compromised at such a cold temp. I try to bring them in when the water gets down into the low to mid 50's. Now I don't know if there is a right or wrong temp, I'm saying that is what I do.  o(

Good Luck!!!!

Offline GarryT

• Members
  • Zone 2b
  • With us since: 21/08/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:35:34 PM »
Well, everybody was successfully moved indoors a couple of weeks ago. As a first timer I noted my mistake not to be repeated in the future .....move all plants and large rocks out of the pond a day or two BEFORE transferring the fish. Way too much debris gets stirred up making seeing the little beasties difficult.

Once inside it took over 24 hours for the temperature in the 70 gallon wintering tank to reach room temperature from the initial 38F. I also transferred my potted hardy lilies which had gone inert in the cold water and were trimmed back. They are growing like weeds under the influence of two 40W flourescent Grow bulbs and are now developing flower buds! If they bloom I'll take some pics.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:59:27 PM »
That's good to hear. They should be much happier in the warm house.  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"