Author Topic: In-pond pump location  (Read 644 times)

Offline Cypress Point Pond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
In-pond pump location
« on: November 14, 2007, 08:59:01 AM »
Is it best to place an in-pond pump in the deepest area of the pond or at the location that is the furtherest away from where water returns into the pond?

cp
Louisp

Offline crazyfishlady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: In-pond pump location
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 12:38:28 PM »
I have a 2500 to 3000 gal pond with 2 4500g/hr underwater pumps. They are in my skimmer box and sit probably 2/3 of the depth of the pond. They pump the water up about 4 feet and out over 20' to my bog. From there into a stream that splits into each end of the pond. The skimmer is on the opposite the side of the pond from the streams.

I am a novice at this pond business and have no idea what is right. But the guy who put mine in is very experienced and everything works. I have no filtration other than the rock bog and add no chemicals, only bacteria. All I know is I have very clear water and my fish seem happy. Guess I'm not much help.

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: In-pond pump location
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:52:21 PM »
I put mine as far away from the point where the water reenters as I could. logic just seemed to suggest this would be the best way to make sure the whole pond was cycled, and not leave 'dead spots'.

If that is also the deepest spot, a good idae is to put the pump up on something, off of the the bottom. In the event the worst happens - a band of raccoons amuse themselves with your plumbing eg - the pump will not completely drain your pond, as there will always be water below the level of the pump.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"