Author Topic: A weekend away  (Read 2975 times)

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
A weekend away
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »
Pete and I are going to Seattle this weekend for a break. This is only the second time we have managed to get away together in since our youngest child was born (20 years). It's been very hard to find people to care for him and have only managed to take separate short vacations. One of my younger sisters has been coming over from Victoria every second weekend for the last few months to do respite and we have really enjoyed getting out for the day and dinners out. She's now ready to be alone with him and we are very excited about our weekend away.
We plan to visit the glass museum and some black smithing galleries. Pete has been getting into artistic black smith lately and we hope to incorporate some of it in our next house.
Any of you know about good places to eat? We like just about any thing especially good seafood.

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: A weekend away
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 05:44:41 PM »
Take a break, you both deserve it.  And props to your sister  @O@

In Seattle for lunch or dinner try Mike's in Pike Place Market.  My favorite dish if I have to choose one?  The Po Boy Sandwiches with oysters!  It's a small place but rich with character.  The Market is famous for all the rich array of Seafood - watch out for flying fish!!! - and other things.

If I remember correctly the first Starbucks is in that neighborhood, good to visit even though their coffee is not my favorite.

Hope you enjoy yourselves!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 05:47:30 PM »
Best wishes to you guys on your getaway. You certainly deserve it. Kudos to you both for your faithfulness where you are needed. Oh and KUDOS to your sister too. Better take her a nice "goodie".

Offline Krista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 12:21:57 AM »
oh wow! I am so excited for you and Pete! What a gift your sister is able to give you. I hope things go smoothly for both of them and that you are able to relax and enjoy the weekend.

Sorry, no advice on Seattle area......
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 01:48:04 PM »
Hi Maryvonne:

I hope you and Pete have a good time.  I don't remember the name of the place, but we had some good seafood Pike Place Market,  so it may be best to just follow your nose or crowds.  However, it is a beautiful city and I'm sure you will have fun.  I hope the pup is still doing well!

Best wishes,

Gary

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 03:44:36 PM »
Take a break, you both deserve it.  And props to your sister  @O@

In Seattle for lunch or dinner try Mike's in Pike Place Market.  My favorite dish if I have to choose one?  The Po Boy Sandwiches with oysters!  It's a small place but rich with character.  The Market is famous for all the rich array of Seafood - watch out for flying fish!!! - and other things.

If I remember correctly the first Starbucks is in that neighborhood, good to visit even though their coffee is not my favorite.

Hope you enjoy yourselves!

That sounds yummy. Pike Place Market is on our list so will to be there at lunch time. We don't like Starbucks coffee either so will get coffee else where.
We are very lucky to have wonderful family on both sides and that's why we want to move back there as soon as possible. They have always tried to help when possible.

Thanks
Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »
Best wishes to you guys on your getaway. You certainly deserve it. Kudos to you both for your faithfulness where you are needed. Oh and KUDOS to your sister too. Better take her a nice "goodie".

Thanks Ester,

We are packed and ready to leave first thing tomorrow morning. Hope the lines up aren't too bad at the border. I will be bringing something nice back for my sister. I'm lucky to have people like her in my life.

maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 03:47:06 PM »
oh wow! I am so excited for you and Pete! What a gift your sister is able to give you. I hope things go smoothly for both of them and that you are able to relax and enjoy the weekend.

Sorry, no advice on Seattle area......

Thanks Krista!
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 03:48:42 PM »
We are very lucky to have wonderful family on both sides and that's why we want to move back there as soon as possible. They have always tried to help when possible.
Are you planning to move to Seattle?

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 03:54:38 PM »
Hi Maryvonne:

I hope you and Pete have a good time.  I don't remember the name of the place, but we had some good seafood Pike Place Market,  so it may be best to just follow your nose or crowds.  However, it is a beautiful city and I'm sure you will have fun.  I hope the pup is still doing well!

Best wishes,

Gary
Thanks Gary,
I'm sure we will find something. The weather is so nice right now, sunny and warm and it's suppose to hold out for the weekend so we should have a great time.
The pup is doing very well. Thanks for asking about her. She's 4 1/2 months old now, growing like a weed and still a wonderful pup with lots of energy and just great fun. She loves her daily walk in the off leash park close to home where she has lots of doggy friends to play with. We like the fact that she's tired and ready for a nice nap afterwards.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 03:55:28 PM »
Are you planning to move to Seattle?

We plan to move to Victoria where most of our family lives now.

maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 04:15:03 PM »
Victoria is such a beautiful island.  I've only been there twice and can only wish I could live there too.  I'm happy to hear your family is there and able to help you.

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 05:18:37 PM »
Victoria is such a beautiful island.  I've only been there twice and can only wish I could live there too.  I'm happy to hear your family is there and able to help you.

We both grew up in Victoria and left in our early 20's. It was a wonderful city then and still is today in spite of the growth. You will have to come and visit when we get moved and settled in.

Maryvonne

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 10:18:09 AM »
I hope you had a great weekend!!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 09:12:50 AM »
Just checking to see how your weekend went and if you are back yet.

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 02:31:01 PM »
We just got back a couple hours ago. We had a very nice weekend. The weather was wonderful, sunny and warm with some morning fog. It started to rain about half way home so that was perfect. We packed a lot into our two days and really enjoyed every moment except when we were lost early Sunday morning.
We stopped at our post box in Blaine on the way down to pick parts Pete had ordered for his 1947 Dodge truck he's working on and as we were going trough the boxes to check them it turns out one of them had a macro lens for my camera. Pete had bought it for me as a surprise so that was very nice.
We spent Saturday in Seattle, and Sunday in Tacoma. The highlight was definitely at the Museum of Glass watching Lino Tagliapietra work. He a visiting glass blower from Italy and really was fascinating to watch. Here's a link to his website for any one interested: http://www.museumofglass.org/exhibitions/lino/
It was nice to get away and we are happy to be back home again. My sister did very well with our son, the pup and two cats. All were happy to see us again. I will post a few photos in the photo gallery shortly.

Thank you for your good wishes.
Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 06:59:05 PM »
Good, good, good. So glad to hear you enjoyed your getaway. And glad to hear that sis was successful with her responsibilities while you were gone.

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 07:16:15 PM »
Glad you got to getaway! I wish Seattle was a weekend trip away for me!!! Did you go to the Space Needle? IF you happened to watch Twin Peaks in the early '90s, most of it was filmed in the area. We thouroughly enjoyed Snoqualmie falls and the wineries up near Woodinville. We didn't get a summer vacation this year due to taking care of my grandmother-in-law, and hope to make up for it next summer with a week or so in Seattle and a week or so up in Alaska with my dad, who is a fishing guide in the middle of nowhere Alaska every summer. I also hope to meet LeeAnne this time, as well as any other NW ponders!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 08:27:30 PM »
Jessica,
We didn't get to the space needle this time but since Seattle is so close to us and a perfect getaway we hope to get back there again soon. I never watched Twin Peaks but did know it was shot there. I would like to visit wineries if we go back in the summer.
If you ever get over this way let me know. I'd love to meet up with you.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Krista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 09:18:47 PM »
So glad you had a great time away! And congrats on your new lense! I just got one too..lol.

Jessica, it sounds like you want to organize the semi annual North West Pond Partay for next year??? :D
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 09:26:46 AM »
Dang, I didn't read this thread in time. I have been trying to spend less time online to work more.

I love the Crab Pot down on the wharf for seafood. It is very casual but delicious. They dump it on the table and you wear a bib. Salty's is much more elegant but expensive for what you get but they have a great brunch on the weekends. Has the best view in town too.

Glad you had fun. I was in Seattle yesterday for work. Drove up Monday. Just missed you!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 09:56:43 AM »
Thanks LeeAnne. We will keep that info for our next trip. We are actually thinking we may go down as far as Portland next time so maybe if you are in town we could meet up with you and Bob for coffee, lunch or dinner. I spend too much time at the computer too these days. I need to start focusing on my indoor projects such as cleaning and organizing this house etc. Hope your trip was profitable.
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 10:15:43 AM »
Sounds like a great time was had - but it is also always good to be home again.

When the sun is shining, Seattle is one of the nicest places to be I think.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"