Author Topic: Neighborhood watch program...  (Read 3015 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Neighborhood watch program...
« on: November 02, 2007, 08:50:20 PM »
I went outside the other day and my ten year old neighbor says, "Michael, look!  A stork!" as she points off in the distance.  So I grabbed the camera and snapped a couple pics.  I've seen this guy or his twin (sorry, they all look the same) on the fence in my yard, and also on my roof.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Neighborhood watch program...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 07:56:41 AM »
Oh man. And he's still living??  :o  I know, but a little pellet in his butt wouldn't hurt would it? What about a paint ball?

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 08:13:01 AM »
That's not a loose shingle I'm seeing is it?

Oh yeah, the bird's a threat too.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 07:46:35 AM »
Aim and "PULL!!!"

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 05:45:49 PM »
Great Pix Michael, but now that you have them I agree. don't blink just pull the trigger!  O0
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 05:41:17 AM »
While I am probably stating the obvious, that is a Blue heron, and he has found a new fishin' hole... Namely your pond. make sure your fish have someplace to hide.

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:27:47 AM »
Aim and "PULL!!!"

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
That's not as easy as ya think.....I know a few people who've tryed it several time's & still missed .
The darn birds are just too skinny .

So far none has ever stopped by for a fish snack ....here. They do fly over all the time tho & one of these day's I expect they'll stop for a visit.....hopefully that won't be too soon .

bonnie

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 04:42:38 PM »
Well, being an animal lover and especially a bird lover, I have a hard time thinking about 'killing' a heron who is just out doing what he does to survive.  I don't think he wants to get too close to the pond because it's so close to the house, and there really isn't any place for a heron to stand and get to the fish (steep sides)  Plus the fish have plenty of places to hide down pretty deep.

The heron has been here a couple times, but those pics were about five houses down, and there's a lake about a half a mile away so it's not like he's without food.  I figure he just sees my pond as the proverbial "hole in the wall (ground) restaurant and wants to try it out.

Of course, I say all this having not lost a fish to one of these winged snakes...should I see him with one of my scaly children in his beak he will surely get pelted with rocks!!  lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 05:00:27 AM »
Aim and "PULL!!!"

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
That's not as easy as ya think.....I know a few people who've tryed it several time's & still missed .
The darn birds are just too skinny .

So far none has ever stopped by for a fish snack ....here. They do fly over all the time tho & one of these day's I expect they'll stop for a visit.....hopefully that won't be too soon .

bonnie
That's where shot guns come in handy! lol lol
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 06:21:34 AM »
He's very pretty, or should I say handsome?  I wouldn't shoot him either, but I'd do my best to scare the feathers off his backside.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 10:18:35 AM »
That's where shot guns come in handy! lol lol

um, did you happen to see those other things in the background...like my neighbors homes?  LOL!!   I don't think they'd take too kindly to me shooting in their direction...but if I can take out that annoying 24-hour barking dog on the hill they might let it slide!  hahaha

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 12:48:14 PM »
Actually your local farm supply center (or on the net) may have exactly what you need, an electric fence.... Place it all around the pond and charge it up. he will get the idea after the first poke..... I accidently peed on one when I was a kid on my uncles farm  :o I wasn't happy but no real harm done  >:(- I learned my lesson I am sure he will learn his.... lol

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 01:13:11 PM »
Actually your local farm supply center (or on the net) may have exactly what you need, an electric fence.... Place it all around the pond and charge it up. he will get the idea after the first poke..... I accidently peed on one when I was a kid on my uncles farm  :o I wasn't happy but no real harm done  >:(- I learned my lesson I am sure he will learn his.... lol

Andy
but then I'd have to try to get the heron to pee on it...and if I could teach him that I could teach him not to eat my fishies!   lol lol lol lol

I've only seen a heron about four times in two years, and if I'm not out there chasing him off the three dogs barking at him do.  My neighbors dog has barked at him  when he's been on my roof or the back fence, and that dog doesn't normally bark like that during the day so he alerts me pretty good.  I may try to a mesh net or something if the threat presents itself, so far he's just been window shopping.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 06:46:55 PM »
Sure glad he's watching your neighborhood and not mine! ;)

We had one visit but luckily it's not been here for over a year now... :)

Offline dapperponds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/10/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 06:17:38 AM »
check out www.scarecrowinfo.com and no one gets hurt.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 09:30:17 AM »
check out www.scarecrowinfo.com and no one gets hurt.

LOL...that almost sounds like a threat!

"gimme the loot and no one gets hurt!"    lol

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 06:07:52 PM »
I know that alot of you might not want to hear this but you best check with state and federal laws before harming any native birds. There are herons and egrets all around our new place. I've even seen what I thought was either a heron or turkey buzzard in the back yard.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 06:44:38 PM »
I know that alot of you might not want to hear this but you best check with state and federal laws before harming any native birds. There are herons and egrets all around our new place. I've even seen what I thought was either a heron or turkey buzzard in the back yard.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(

OOOH Darn ! U just spoiled all our fun .... A 1,000 & 1 way's on "How to get rid of of that Darn Bird"...... {:-P;;   

lol lol lol

bonnie

Offline Don

• Members
  • With us since: 29/09/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 07:39:36 PM »
I know that alot of you might not want to hear this but you best check with state and federal laws before harming any native birds.

True, migratory birds such as the great blue heron are protected under Federal Law by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act enacted in 1918.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/intrnltr/mbta/mbtandx.html#h

I have not had the consternation of a heron visitor, but a fellow ponder of mine has. When asked what he did to solve the problem, his only response was “Current law does not allow me to disclose that information.”  :o

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 01:11:24 PM »

I have not had the consternation of a heron visitor, but a fellow ponder of mine has. When asked what he did to solve the problem, his only response was “Current law does not allow me to disclose that information.”  :o

[/quote]

Sound's like a good answer to me . .....  ;) It's sad but sometime's ya have to do what ya have to do .
I think they are Beautiful bird's , myself !

bonnie

Offline Don

• Members
  • With us since: 29/09/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 03:56:23 PM »
Sound's like a good answer to me . .....  ;) It's sad but sometime's ya have to do what ya have to do .
I think they are Beautiful bird's , myself !

bonnie

Can't argue with that. I'm not sure how I would deal with a heron, hope I never have to, and I agree they are beautiful birds.  :-\

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 04:44:52 AM »
Don't count on the fact your pond is next to the house. Mine is within 3' and the river with an attached swamp is about 1/4 mile away. Every summer he manages to take or try to take some of my fish. I put the lilies on plant stands. He landed on the pot. So it's not true they always walk in from far out. He is usually seen a few times/days scoping out the pond before he actually makes a hit. So next year the lilies go down to the bottom of the pond sooner. I have a little rope fence around the pond and lots of plantings too that make it hard for him to get to the water.

And we know those darn birds are protected. That is why I was suggesting something to sting his butt and scare him away. But like the rest have said, they are very smart and elusive.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 07:15:05 PM »
So, Michael,

How do they taste?

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 07:49:10 PM »
So, Michael,

How do they taste?

Steve

Well, they're kind of a cross between a bald eagle and a spotted owl.  lol

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 04:30:14 AM »
Whoo whoo. and just in time for Thanksgiving dinner! Be sure and set and extra plate! lol
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"