Author Topic: Pond temps up and down  (Read 1082 times)

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond temps up and down
« on: November 13, 2007, 06:17:10 PM »
  Well, here in No CA (North of San Francisco, zone 8ish), we get days that can go from the mid to upper 70s, then drop into the 30s!
  I checked the water temps a couple of days ago, 50*! Today, 60*!
   I have a really hard time NOT feeding the fish, but know from reading that I should stop at about 50*.
  How do you handle this kind of fluctuation in temps? Just see how active the fish are?
  TIA   Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond temps up and down
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 07:57:17 AM »
Here in North Texas, Temps are going up and down alot.  Some nights 35' others are 65' with daytime 60'-85'.  So far my water temps are arround 55'-60' so I just go by if the fish are active and begging, feed them a little!
Lori TX

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 04:35:37 AM »
There should be pleanty for them to nibble on in the pond. I wouldn't feed them!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 08:18:38 AM »
Temp's are going carzy here too , 60's yesterday , today 40's & spitting snow .
By Saturday in the 50's again....I wish it would just stay in the 50 -60's...... ::)
bonnie

Ooooop's , I thought the title said " temp's up & down" . I didn't see the word pond in front of it all..... :redface:

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 08:21:40 PM »
There should be pleanty for them to nibble on in the pond. I wouldn't feed them!

Totally agree. They don't need the food, and intermittent fasting has been proven to extend longevity in animals.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Rocmon

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 01:33:33 PM »
I'm a little So. of SF and we're having the same kind of fluctuations. This is the first year I actually fed the fish, so when temps in the water hit about 60 I stopped feeding them. A while back I had water temps of near 50. They have slowed considerably and also stopped begging for food. As I'm rapidly losing lily pad cover, as the pond get little sun these days, I've added some duckweed which they went wild over, and recently some azolla. They seem content munching on whatever they find on the liner, but they aren't aggressively feeding.

Currently it's 58 but we've had a few warm days...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"