Author Topic: Can algae cause a problem in January  (Read 982 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Can algae cause a problem in January
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:23:53 AM »
YES, it can.  I still have my falls running, so far its be a mild winter here.  Right now, like alot of you all its really warm here, it was around 65 here. Monday was beautiful, felt like a spring day.  Good thing, with me working both jobs and being the ugly months I hadn't paid any attention to the ponds much.  The normal peak out the window, yeah everything looks fine. 

Not the case this past Monday morning.  My daughter was eating her breakfast and looked out the window, and all I heard was MOM, MOM, MOM.  The pond doesn't have any water.  MOM, MOM hurry, the fish.  She was out the door before I could put on a pair of sweat pants.  When she came back in all out of breath, she said you know that thing that the water comes from for the waterfall.  I said yes, its flowing out the back.  I went out, sure enough a blob of algae growing in the skippy and blocked one of the pipes going to the falls.  Pumps out of water, still plenty for the fish though.  Because they're not sitting on the bottom.  (THIS summer, I am going to get those valves for the pumps, because I just heard them grinding when I walked out the door) (no ifs, ands or buts about it, its going to get done)  So, I grabbed the waterhose, dechlor started filling and relaxed on the swing.  Kassidy sitting with me on the swing, I looked at her and said good save.  It felt kind of weird sitting on the swing in January, with just a light jacket on, a pair of sweats.  I could get use to this kind of winter. 

Oh, btw on Sunday the street behind us had a water main break and we were on a boil water advisory.  It hadn't been lifted as of Monday.  I just filled and crossed my fingers anyway.  They're all fine today.  The goldies are out sunning, the koi still hanging low.

I decided with not being home as much I gave the kids a pop quiz.  If you came home from school, and noticed the pond was draining......What would you do?  One of my boys said, throw the water hose in and turn on the water.  I said wrong answer, you didn't mention dechlor.  I then told them, if that ever happens when I'm not home, just to unplug all the pumps.  That way they would get the right one, then call me.  This summer they will get a pond filling lesson 101.  Not that I really want them to do it, would be afraid of not using dechlor or fogetting its running and overflow and kill the fish........but I guess in a severe crunch.  I'll just show or teach them to rubberband the declor to their wrist so they don't forget the pond is filling or tell them to stay with the pond until your finished filling.  Do not go in the house for any reason, unless you shut the water off while you go in.  I don't care if its for 1 minute. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:30:14 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Can algae cause a problem in January
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 02:47:12 PM »
I'm glad to hear everything turned out OK.  Good to know we raised kids to think....some of the times  ;)

My pond has only emptied out maybe three times that I wasn't home.  Luckily, my daughter loves the fish enough to check them out a few times a day.  Both times she called me, while I'm on vacation, TG for cell phones, and I walked her through both incidents.  Third time, Both daughter and son were home and able to do the water and dechlor themselves.  I know you can never make sure accidents do not happen.  They always catch you off guard.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 02:49:36 PM »
Good observation by your daughter.  I'm glad your fish seem to be okay.  That was a wise thought to give your kids some basic pond emergency instructions.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Cindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:51:02 AM »
Wow Kim, glad to hear a possible tragedy was avoided.  I'm so glad that Esther really preached to me about getting a shut off on my pump.  I'm gone all day for work so if something happened I wouldn't be there to catch it.  I had never thought about having a lesson for my family members about the "ifs" of ponding.  Good thought to have a plan in place for your children. 
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 05:58:05 PM »
That could've been pretty bad tragedy,  if your daughter hadn't looked out the window .
I'm glad your fish are ok .
bonnie

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:25:14 AM »
good save by DD!!

Give instructions verbally, take them through step by step... The have written back up directions so if they panic they can have the written directions in hand

My pond is set that it cannot ever drain totally.  There would always be 2.5 feet or so of water in the pond. It may burn up a pump (hard to burn up a wave pump..I've already tried!!) but the fish will never be without water.
Mary

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 12:49:07 AM »
That's the way I have my pond too.  No way it would ever empty out all the way, just fry the pumps.  But, that will be taken care of this summer.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 01:52:31 PM »
Here just north of Dallas, the daytime temps go from 40 to 80. Up and down and Up and down.  I was out cleaning stray leaves out of the waterfall and stream and got a LARGE handfull of String Algae!!  So Kept Pulling and Pulling.

I too am a peek out the window person. I can see the waterfall from inside the kitchen -dont even have to go out in the sunroom. As I am getting my coffee I look to see if water is still running in the waterfall.  I just looked a few minutes ago and realized the pond needs about 2 inches of water -but that is normal evaporation. So making a mental note to top it off in the next day or so.

Both my pumps are in the Skimmer so Pumps would burn out, but fish would be fine. At least 18 inches of water would still be in the pond.

I dont like to go out and mess with the pond much....the fish are begging too much and I feel guilty for not feeding them in the winter.  Water temp is 60 on really warm days.....but I have seen it less than 50 during really cold spells.
Lori TX

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"