Author Topic: A heads up on the new Savio uv bulbs  (Read 1292 times)

Offline cindy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
A heads up on the new Savio uv bulbs
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:11:07 AM »
From a member at KP:

I purchased 7 Savio 50w uvinex units for our pond project about a month and a half ago. They came in and I was taking a look at the instructions and the unit and noticed the bulb had a shrink wrap around it. I didn't know what to think and didn't see anything in the instructions about it.(leave it on/take it off?) I thought it was to keep the glass from shattering all over the place if it was broken in the shipment. I also didn't think it would be good up close to the glass while it was on and if it was important there would be something said about it. So......I took them off. In about a week they ALL stopped working

Long story short, the "shrink wrap" is the coating.  It had no instructions on the bulb or in the directions and the customer service said its happened before.  Savio as of now won't replace.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70173  Several people were getting ready to do the same thing thinking it was a packing shipping for protection.  Pictures on the thread of the bulbs  out of the box.

He's out $1200 and I wanted to save this group some grief also.  I would have peeled it off also.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: A heads up on the new Savio uv bulbs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:20:12 PM »
That is on heck of a problem.  It does not speak well for savio.  Even replacing at cost would be a nice gesture.
I keep preaching Skippy because no UV s needed.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline cindy

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 11:15:41 AM »
I love my skippy too but I have a Savio skimmer/filter and uvs.

And yes they need to back their customers.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 02:33:50 PM »
I too sent them an e-mail asking they reconsider their earlier decision.  A bad reputation is bad for business. 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 04:53:41 PM »
Cindy, what happens if you don't use the UVs?  Simplistic question I know, but if you can do without................
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline cindy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 06:47:05 PM »
I use my uv and it helps kill the floating algae. If I don't, the water gets cloudy.  After the bio/skippy kicks in, I probably don't need them but I have more koi than I should have.  I also put a buffer pad in my filter basket (doesn't clog as fast as quilt batting)

Savio signed up and posted they are replacing the 7 bulbs and putting warnings on the units. Thats great if you haven't bought one yet.  If you have, hopefully you'll see this and not remove the shrink wrap.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 06:58:34 AM »
Jerry,

The "Skippy" has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not a uv is called for in an application.   Skippys are biofilters and as such have zero effect on planktonian algea (The "pea soup algea").  Such algea appears or disappears without regard to biofilter function.   In fact, an efficient biofilter produces nitrates, which are seen as food by planktonian algea.  As I have noted before, EVERY pond is different, with regard to sunlight, nutrients, etc, and also the anti-algea components produced by algea itself.  For many years I maintained two plant propagation ponds side by side, no filtering whatsoever, same water volume, same dimensions, just a few goldfish in each to keep down mosquitoes, and often one would be "pea soup" while the other would be "gin clear".  The Skippy is a great biofilter and has been an easily constructed low maintenance answer to many watergardeners, but there is no "algea magic" going on in them.  Some ponds need uv's, due to larger fish loads, more sunlight, less plant use of nitrates, etc, etc.

Love your Skippy, but don't blame it if your pond turns green, and don't credit it if it remains clear either.  The Skippy does a fair job of converting ammonia into nitrates.  As noted above, nitrates are algea food. Whether your pond remains clear depends on factors other than the Skippy.

For a very incisive discussion on the causes of green water, there is a paper written by Norm Meck, published on the internet by the Koi Club of San Diego.  Everyone who is interested in planktonian algea should read it. 
See it at http://koiclubsandiego.org/library/green_water.php

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"