Author Topic: ~Another pond redesign on a rainy, sleepy, December day in SA, Tex (pics)  (Read 1040 times)

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
Hey all,....  Thought I'ld share some pics of a pond that I've finally conviced the owners to redo.  Pump was locked up, no check valve, skimmer way to low and not leveled, pond liner on the sides leaking from philadendum roots, too many rocks inside the pond.

Was able to lock the skimmer in place with 120lbs of mortar, lift up the perimeter liner and lock into place properly with mortar, install a energy efficent pump with control valve and check,  clean out all the rocks in the bottom of the pond and install a correctly opperating float valve.

New look to a neglected, non functioning pond ;)

Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: ~Another pond redesign on a rainy, sleepy, December day in SA, Tex (pics)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 05:56:59 PM »
Naturally Nice...but the bird looks more alive than the tree  ;D  I like the tropical plants.

Offline Cypress Point Pond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 05:52:08 AM »
Very nice job!  I've temporarily stopped my pond work due to the very cold rainy weather here in Dallas County.  By the way, what is the gallon capacity of the pictured pond and what pump did you install?

Lp
Louisp

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »
Beautiful job.  I know the home owners are enjoying it.

What was the philodendrum doing that was causing the liner to leak?  Did the roots actually poke through the liner?  Or were they somehow "wicking" water from the pond? 

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 07:56:16 AM »
JULLES --- the roots on those philadendrums are like stong, ropey, runners that span out from the main plant.  They were seeking water, growing across the top edges of the perimeter lining and squishing it down. What once was above water level was now well beneath.  I took the liner and pulled it back up into a vertical orientation. I then took the rock and moratared on both sides of the liner, "sandwiching" the liner between the moratred rocks to the inside and outside.
  Also, correctly setting the skimmer to the recommended height with a footer of mortar and block as well as it's sides will keep it level and in place for years and years to come.  Before, it was severly tilted and WAY to low. The pull on that skimmer before was weak as it was drawing in way to low in the water column.
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"