Author Topic: What does this look like to you? (Pics)  (Read 2160 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What does this look like to you? (Pics)
« on: November 11, 2007, 02:06:05 PM »
I just noticed this on the back of a koi today, not sure what it is so if there are any ideas I would appreciate it.  Not sure if it's just an injury or what...

thanks....
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What does this look like to you? (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »
It's hard to tell by the pix but it looks like either the beginning stages of an ulcer or possibly it's a small wound from rubbing against a rock in the pond?

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 03:04:13 PM »
that's kind of what I was thinking...that he injured himself.  one of the koi always does a splash of his tail when they eat and all three koi scatter like it was a threat, and I think that's when it happened.  I didn't notice it before, but did notice right after they all high-tailed it under a rock...hopefully that's all it is.  he's not acting any different...but I wouldn't know what to look for.

thanks....
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 06:03:25 PM »
You hate to see things like this when winter season comes around due to the fact that they're metabolism is slower but luckily your temps aren't as cold as some of us.

In the meantime until someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I'd just t keep an eye on it and hopefully it will heal on it's own.
If it doesn't go away you can do several things such as Iodine treatment, a salt or PP paste.
 ( warning PP can be dangerous to you)

Good luck,
Bonnie

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 06:28:25 PM »
thanks...I looked at it today and it didn't look too much worse, and his behaviour hasn't changed...so I'll keep my fingers crossed.  thanks for the info.

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 06:46:02 PM »
Two years ago about this time of year one of my koi had a couple of scratches which luckily healed without any med's.   
(Not the best pix)

Don't know if you do water changes but keeping your water in very good condition will definately help!

Again, good luck with it...

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 07:15:04 PM »
I actually just tested it the other day, and it tests exactly the same as it always has, and I've seen a couple other fish get scratches and such, so I'll see what happens.  I have a flat rock across the shallow channel and they hide under that rock when they eat, and when the one flopped and the all took off, there's a good chance that this one hit the underside of the rock.  he also nosed himself pretty hard into an area where there isn't any passage, so I'm surprised he didn't get a fat lip as well. 

Looks like I picked a bad week to stop feeding my fish cocaine!  lol

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 06:17:45 PM »
well...the good news is that whatever it was is completely gone, so it must have been an injury or something like that. 

all better! o(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 07:23:54 PM »
That's good to know.  It amazing how many cuts my fishies get from the stone tile I put in the pond as their hideaway too.  Better cuts than dinner for uninvited visitors.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"