Author Topic: Sad day.. lost our Bunny  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Sad day.. lost our Bunny
« on: January 30, 2008, 07:17:37 PM »
It was VERY windy last night and the temps dropped rapidly..
Went outside before evening to move the rabbit cage inside the garage because we're getting into the single digits again and the cage was on it's side!

Looked thru the straw cause I thought that Bunny was hiding but I couldn't find him.. went into the woods and couldn't find him so gave DD a call to tell her to come and help me look for him.  As I went back outside the garage, there he was laying beside the house.... unfortunately DEAD. :'( :'( :'(

I am now feeling so terrible because I didn't think to check on him before then and the thought of him freezing to death is a horrible thought. :'(

DD bought him when he was a baby and we'd had him for about 6 years now, he was a type of miniature......
Everytime in the summer when I would pass his cage he would get excited because he was waiting for his clover..

I'll miss him.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Sad day.. lost our Bunny
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:23:36 PM »
It's always sad to lose a pet, especially if you 2nd guess what you woulda/coulda/shoulda done. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:21:08 PM »
So sorry Bonnie.  :'(
Mary

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:54:48 AM »
I'm so sorry Bonnie :'( Don't be hard on your self,
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 05:53:49 AM »
Awwww. Sorry.

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 07:19:47 AM »
Thanks friends.. feeling alittle better today about this.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 09:49:04 AM »
My bunny stays outside in his hutch. And he will not leave straw in it to keep his warm he throws it out. He is fine even though it was 3*F this year. So maybe you bunnie died from something else. Either way I am sorry about your bunny.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 11:09:27 AM »
OH Bonnie, I'm sooooo sorry.  I do know how your feeling been there before a couple times with different pets.  The first winter we had our bunnies we kept the hutch in the garage.  It was Christmas and we were in a hurry, when the kids fed the bunnies the one female jumped to the other side of the divided hutch.  We told the kids just leave her for now, we were running so late.  Came home very late and put the kids to bed and went out to get her back to the right side and found a litter of new babies in her side all frozen.....didn't know they were there didn't know she was old enough even to have them, I felt bad for days.  You can't always be there at the right moments, and those furry kritters get into your hearts as much as people.  It sounds like he had a good life, and 6 is getting old for a rabbit.  Hugs to you and don't beat yourself up to bad.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 01:21:36 PM »
I'm so sorry about your bunny!  Your story is sad too, Marla.    :'(  My dd has a six year old bunny in her room, they are wonderful pets.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 04:59:12 PM »
So sorry Bonnie to hear about your rabbit. 
I had a hard time last week, our sweet little cat Pinckley died.  I am having the same feelings about it being my fault.  She had hidden up under our car while it was parked in the garage, she managed to hold on for about eight miles until we picked up speed when we pulled out onto the highway. 
I'm not sure of the life expectancy of a rabbit, but it sounds like he lived a good long life.  I'm sure you'll feel better in a week or so, I know I do.  I couldn't even tell anyone about it at first.

Karen

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 09:29:59 AM »
Bonnie,

I am sorry for your loss.  While we have none right now, My wife and I have had many rabbit pets over the years:  Rabbit 1 (New Zealand), Rabbit II (Black Satin),  Little One ( New Zealand),  Peter, (Flemish Giant),
Zorro (New Zealand), Ciarro,  (Himalayan) and last, but not in the least, Chester, (Brown Dutch).   The average life span of pet rabbits is 6 to 8 years, depending on breed.  Chester, beat the odds, living to the ripe old age of 13 years 9 months.  The longest record of longevity for rabbits of any breed is 15 years.  Chester was a real exceptional rabbit.

For the record, here is a picture of Peter, the Flemish Giant (25 pounds) with my wife, Karen taken in spring, 1969.

Our interest in rabbits extended to collectable rabbit figurines, of which we have many.

Once the subject of rabbits is brought up, I must relate two true stories, hopefully one will make you feel a little better in this time of your loss.

Story number one (True). 

Around 1969 the following news item I personally heard on WLS radio out of Chicago (I was then living in Champaign, Illinois):  " An employee of Argonne National Laboratories, where experiments were being made with growth hormones on rabbits, transporting a specimen rabbit on which studies had been completed to the Brookfield zoo, was injured when the rabbit he was carrying in his lap was startled by a backfireing truck and began kicking him.  The rabbit weighed 48 pounds."

Story number 2: (I swear it to be true).

A friend related this story to me:

The neighbors had a pet rabbit, Muffins, upon which they doted, especially their 10 year old daughter.  One day, while these neighbors were away, my friend noticed their dog Buster playing with something.  A closer inspection revealed to their aghast that their dog's plaything was MUFFIN!   Muffin had undeniably seen the "black rabbit of Inle and had crossed over ( see Watership Down).  What to do?!!!  Thoughts of the neighbor's 10 year old daughter blaming buster for her pet rabbit's demise clouded his thought process.  Regaining coherence, he carefully cleaned up and replaced Muffin in her hutch, and tied up Buster, hoping the neighbor would assume Muffin had died of natural causes.

All was well..... until, upon his neighbor's return, he got a knock on the door.  You guessed.. the neighbor.

"Bob", the neighbor began, "I've got the most amazing mystery, regarding Muffin!"  Bob's heart sank.  Before he could begin to apologise, his neighbor continued....  "Muffin died last week.  We buried her in the woods .  But she has reappeared in her hutch, all cleaned up...  What on earth could account for this?????????
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:38:53 AM by Johns »

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 12:17:20 PM »
Marla, We (my brother was the owner) had them when I was growing up and I recall many times coming home and the babies would be half eaten by their mother... :(

Barb, We would bring Bunny inside at times and it took him no time before he started going in his litter box, Easily like a cat!

Karen, I am very sorry to hear this.. Hugs.   

Johns, always enjoy your wisdom and stories.... Thanks for sharing them.
Wow, Peter was a big guy!

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 12:22:12 PM »
Here is a pix of Bunny and Phoebe our cat when we first got her, a second pix with the tennis shoe so you can compare for size.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 02:45:38 PM »
Bonnie I'm so sorry reading the sad news of your dear pet.  I've read all the posts here and it's amazing how wonderful everyone is responding to this occasion.

But I have to say Johns made me LOL with the story of his dog and the neighbors pet.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 12:20:59 PM »
Bonnie, I'm really very sorry about your rabbit.
I know its difficult when you feel that you are somewhat responsible for what happened.
We do our best. ;)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »
Very sorry about bunny.....and kitty too.....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"