Author Topic: Swimming with Turtles  (Read 2028 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Swimming with Turtles
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:24:09 PM »

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Swimming with Turtles
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »
Wow! that's down right scarry!!  :o I didn't even know the little buggers had been ban :-\
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:56:10 PM »
I've read many years ago red ear sliders were banned, especially the baby quarter-sized ones but I still see them for sale everywhere, definitely under 4".  The big franchise pet stores also sell them, also under 4". 

Almost 3 years ago my mother bought 8 baby red ear sliders, quarter sized!!  Guess who she passed them onto  >:(-  I try to be careful about keeping my hands clean after taking care of the turtles but it always think about the possibilities of getting sick.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »
Good grief  >:(-  Yes, turtles carry salmonella. Humans carry all kinds of bacteria and viruses. I've kept tortoises and turtles my entire life and I've never gotten a salmonella infection even as a child. There is more risk of getting salmonella from your food and the ever present salad bar. The four inch rule is a joke. They can be sold to anyone certifying that the turtles are for educational use. I'm more worried about getting a potentially fatal antibiotic resistant bacteria like MRSA or VRE carried by humans. Keep an eye on the kids around the turtles, make sure everyone washes their hands, uses some common sense and relax.
Kay
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 09:24:29 PM by Kay »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 08:44:52 AM »
Keep an eye on the kids around the turtles, make sure everyone washes their hands, uses some common sense and relax.
Kay

I'm with Kay!  O0

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »
Good grief  >:(-  Yes, turtles carry salmonella. Humans carry all kinds of bacteria and viruses. I've kept tortoises and turtles my entire life and I've never gotten a salmonella infection even as a child. There is more risk of getting salmonella from your food and the ever present salad bar. The four inch rule is a joke. They can be sold to anyone certifying that the turtles are for educational use. I'm more worried about getting a potentially fatal antibiotic resistant bacteria like MRSA or VRE carried by humans. Keep an eye on the kids around the turtles, make sure everyone washes their hands, uses some common sense and relax.
Kay

So true. What I don't get from the article is why it is small turtles that are of concern (and banned)? What about Large ones?
I see small turtles for sale around here all the time. Strange.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 11:26:29 AM »
Karen, I read somewhere there are kids who will put anything into their mouths, including small turtles.  Small turtles have a double whammy in that they can cause choking and salmonella poisoning.

Can you believe that?  All I can say is keep anything small away from your child!

Although it was a nightmare when my mom dropped 8 turtles into my hands I do love them.  The nightmare was trying to figure out how to house them properly.

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 11:47:08 AM »
Tutles have always carried Salmonella. WASH YOUR HANDS WELL! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 02:22:32 PM »
Karen, I read somewhere there are kids who will put anything into their mouths, including small turtles.  Small turtles have a double whammy in that they can cause choking and salmonella poisoning.
Can you believe that?  All I can say is keep anything small away from your child!

The good old FDA at work for you. {:-P;; They will allow Ecoli Spinach, (among many other things) to kill you but will hunt down and prosecute the hobbiest that wants to sell a clutch of turtles. So the hobbiest with no outlet for his pet RES's turns them loose in the local pond disrupting the local ecosystem, displacing and outcompeting our native turtles. But Johnny and Janie are safe from the evil, diseased baby turtle.

How about parental supervision or perhaps not buying small turtles for children. How about the FDA pulling their heads out of their ....Nah..that won't happen..

Here's a copy of their "policy".
The sale or commercial distribution of viable turtle eggs and small turtles (carapace length less than 4 inches) for use as pets is banned under 21 CFR 1240.62. The ban is based on the Public Health Service Act (section 361, 58 Stat. 703) and therefore applies to both intrastate and interstate sale and distribution. Exceptions to the ban under 21 CFR 1240.62 permit sales of turtles and turtle eggs for use in bona fide scientific, educational, or exhibitional purposes other than as pets and of marine (ocean) turtles. Other exceptions to the ban are the sale of turtles and turtle eggs not in connection with a business (e.g., limited sales between turtle fanciers have been permitted) or that are intended only for export. The ban applies to small turtles (under 4 inch carapace length) because these are most likely to be held for sale as children's pets, and the purpose of the ban is to protect children from turtle-born salmonellosis.
Kay

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 03:15:44 PM »
Keep an eye on the kids around the turtles, make sure everyone washes their hands, uses some common sense and relax.
Kay

I'm with Kay!  O0

Double ditto!
Mary

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 03:17:32 PM »

How about parental supervision or perhaps not buying small turtles for children. How about the FDA pulling their heads out of their ....Nah..that won't happen..

Shells...I know you were gonna say shell..right??

lol  lol
Mary

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 06:43:57 PM »
Kay,

You rock. O0

How about the FDA pulling their heads out of their ....Nah..that won't happen..

O0
I feel the same way about the FDA, USDA, AMA, ADA, CDC, NIH.... I'm sure I missed one.

>:(- Maddening!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 11:12:37 PM »
Of course I meant shells..yeah..shells.. lol
Kay

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 08:50:16 AM »
 lol Shell...very appropriate  lol lol lol

FDA need to get their priorities in order.  Turtles only a few want or food everyone needs.  Which is more important to protect the people?  I've had many experiences dealing with the FDA and they don't know their shells from their *@!$&^.  :)  They even admit to me that they don't have uniform guidelines to follow.  But are we surprised?  Not a bit.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 06:22:09 PM »
I've had salmonella but I didn't get it from a turtle. I got it from poorly cooked chicken. I use to catch box turtles all of the time and have had a couple of aquatics. I've got one right now that I think might be a map turtle.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 06:32:08 AM »
Salmanella can also be caught from both wild and pet lizards and as well as birds  :(, not to mention salad bars and turtles lol .............

what about produce departments, and raw meat :-\?

maybe we should all climb into that plastic bubble, and lead dull boring lives....... I for one would rather take the chance............

vicky

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
Me too Vicky :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"