Author Topic: Interesting article on climate change  (Read 859 times)

Offline goldenangel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Interesting article on climate change
« on: January 27, 2008, 11:36:47 AM »
This article was in our paper this morning.

http://www.herald-review.com/articles/2008/01/27/columnists/hawbaker/1029587.txt

I think it is common sense that the weather has been changing but it was still a good read.  I decided to go check out the arbor day website and they list us as zone 6.  The USDA shows us as Zone 5b.  I think the zone 6 might actually be a little closer to what it actually is.  I have plants survive outside that have never survived before.  Even our growing season seems to be getting longer.  Last year I still had tomatoes and peppers growing clear up to Late October/First part of November.  My pepper plants were even still sending out new buds. 
Central IL zone 5

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting article on climate change
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 01:39:59 PM »
It's interesting to read a gardening column from another different zone.  I've noticed the longer warm weather season too.  Or should  say the plants in my yard have noticed the warmer weather.  My pear tomatoes are still producing leaves and flowers and fruit since last spring.  Who would have predicted that I would have to thin out my tomato plant?!

Many of the delicate bulb plants already blossomed before Christmas and spring blossoms on trees are on their last wave of blooms already.  Fruit trees have buds ready to flower.  I haven't even trimmed my roses back yet and they are still blooming too.  With all the needed rain we have been experiencing is probably going to hurry the process of spring already.  Don't enjoy gardening all year round.

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 02:39:29 AM »
Everyone talks about the air pollution causing the greenhouse effect thats changing our climate  :'(.
That our climate is getting warmer, growing seasons lasting longer, etc.........

I sometimes wonder if its not just air pollution........How many more roads and parking lots have been built since 1990? (asphalt retains heat.) How many fewer trees? Its not just the rainforests we're losing..........

I live near Branson, Missouri, and every year I see more, and more trees cut down to make condos they can't sell and time shares that are never full............. I watched as they removed beautiful old growth oak trees (and everything else in there path) to clear a whole mountain to 'build' Indian Ridge.  :'( :'( :'(

As a people we only have ourselfs to blame, and unfortunately too many of us shrug our shoulders and turn away :(

vicky

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 09:09:11 AM »
The L.A. basin area is a massive concrete jungle that absorbs and reflects a lot of heat.  On the other hand this area and what is referred to as the Inland Empire area are basically desert and yet we have transformed that desert with the planting of billions and billions of shrubs, trees and lawns. 

All I know for certain is that if the poles melt, Realtors will go crazy selling lots there and I will have sea-front property :D ;D
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"