Author Topic: Pond Mishap... safety issues I had not thought of before......  (Read 2544 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond Mishap... safety issues I had not thought of before......
« on: January 24, 2008, 10:22:27 AM »
Today my doxie decided he could walk on water... well ice... I never thought about dogs that dont normally get in the pond trying to when its frozen.  If I had not been right there he would have been dead in minutes.  He still is stunned and cold.  I will definatley be more watcheful when I left them out now....

tinkster

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond Mishap... safety issues I had not thought of before......
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:21:05 AM »
How scary for your pup and you!  Thankfully you were watching out for him.

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 02:15:32 PM »
So glad you were there to fish him back out.  Things to think about.. fence maybe?

as long as my frozen pond had snow on it the dog would run over it..but as soon as the ice/snow didn't look like snow anymore he didn't try.  Then again when I did have ice it was 8-10" thick and not a hazard for a 30lb dog..I could have probably walked on it.  Once it started to thaw and was wet on top he didn't go on it.
Mary

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 02:35:56 PM »
I'm so glad you were there to save him. @O@  When I was a kid we lost a poodle that drowned after apparently stepping onto the flimsy pool cover.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 03:47:38 PM »
Thank god you were there he could have been dead fast.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 05:24:10 PM »
Tink to the rescue!!! @O@ TG you were right there! That poor little bugger! :'( I'll just bet he-she never goes near it again with or with out the ice. :-\
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
It's a good thing u were there tink ! He almost was a doggie popcicle...He has a sweet face   8).

bonnie

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 06:50:44 PM »
Yup, I think about that with Smokey too. Our pond is right beside the front porch where I let him out at times. One time a couple of years ago, he did fall in when it was cold. He managed to get out by himself and we didn't know it until he barked to come in. He was all soaking wet.

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:50:14 PM »
Glad you were there to rescue him. Such a cute little face. When I had a dog she never went out on ice. She never attempted to get in pond either as she hated water. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 09:23:14 PM »
Good to hear that you rescued him Tink, but that wouldn't have happened in my pond.
I would guess that the ice is a good foot thick. Probably more.
I'll go and drill a hole tomorrow. I want to take a pic of one of my ice augers anyway.
I noticed as I'm posting this that it is -8 deg.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 05:06:11 AM »
Wow, how scarey!  I have 3 dogs and have thought about them possibly falling in.  Glad he's ok.
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 05:08:20 AM »
That was close!  It's a big fear of mine with the cats.  I have a little wire fence around it that keeps my dogs and my 4 year old out, (of course I ALWAYS watch the 4 year old anyway) but the cats are another story.  They like to lean over and drink from the pond.  I'm afraid they will walk out onto the ice one day, and fall in.   :(

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 05:41:53 AM »
Glad you found him in time. 

Last year my little boy pug did that.  Except we didn't know the kids had let him out.  DH happened to go out back to smoke and saw something move out by the swimming pool.  Poor thing already had ice in his fur, and were his nose was running it was froze too.  We put him in a very cool bath and kept gradually warming it.  I kept putting wet towels over him, and raising the temp of the water trying to get him to quit shivering.  DH called the vet and they told us to give him 2 teaspoons of kyro syrup, kind of like glucose.  To this day, I still don't know how he got himself back out of the pond.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 07:25:46 AM »
WoW!! That was a close call. My Doxie isn't allowed near the pond all year long, and she knows it so she doesn't bother it, I'm always out with her anyhow.

A few years ago I don't remember who it was had one of those white Westie dogs, cutest little thing drown after if fell thru the ice. It was so sad.

Have to watch a pond all year long. I would think kids would find the ice tempting to play on as well.

Glad you pup is o.k.

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 08:23:26 AM »
Whew Tink, scary time. What a face on the little guy though, just gotta love 'em.

My Siamese fell in a few years back (never thought of cats as clumsy before). She was out before all the splash had even landed. Talk about the speed of greased lightning!

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 09:45:14 AM »
tinkster, That's scary. I hope your cute little doxie recovers fully. The pic is adorable.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 11:06:05 AM »
Reminds me of when I was a kid living in Michigan. My brother and I were walking across spring lake after it had frozen over. As we approached the shore I heard the Ice crack and felt it give way (We were standing over a fast moving section of the stream that fed the lake) as it gave way all I could think of was my little brother falling in so I pushed him hard and he ended up on the shoreline, however it forced me through the ice, in about 5 foot of water I hit the bottom and pushed off hard, shot right back up through the hole and got enough of my body out of the water to distribute my weight, Ice kept cracking but  my little brother got a BIG  branch and lid it out to me,  we used it to get me out but since I was wearing  snowsuit and snowmobile boots I was pretty water logged. I got home  moving pretty slow but y mom and Dad had me warmed up in no time. I feel for your Doxie, been there done that and got the t-shirt. (and the Cold)

Andy
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:36:48 PM by El Jefe »
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 11:14:02 AM »
Andy, what a story!  I'm so glad it had a happy ending.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 04:12:45 PM »
wow, sorry to hear that....glad you were there to save him!  Poor guy...probably doesn't understand the concept of frozen water just yet!  lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 01:24:32 PM »
What a sweet face.  Glad to hear you were able to rescue him.
These storys about falling through the ice are scary and especially disturbing today.  Hubby is headed out on our pond to go fishing for the first time this year.  It always makes me a nervous wreck.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 08:50:07 AM »
Tink glad your doggie did not get hurt....I can't count the number of times that the dogs have fallen into the little pond in the gh...since it stays covered with either lettuce or azolla....they think its just part of the ground and walk right off into it....good thing it is less than a foot deep and they get out easily....of course it never fails that when I put the leaf nets on the outside ponds they get the idea that they can now walk on the pond....just to discover they are too heavy and soon sink into the pond.....dumb dogs ::) the cats don't seem to be much smarter either ::) one of ours actually lays on top of the shade cover(which is only just about a foot from the water) on our asagi's pond....over time he stretches the fabric and I have to go out and pull it tight again...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 08:57:49 AM »

I thought it was just hamsters that didn't realize there wasn't something under their feet (they walk off tabletops and sofas all the time!).  Dogs and cats, too?!  Cheesh!

Andy - wow, what a story!  So glad your brother was able to find a branch and pull you out.  Not many people have that experience, that's for sure.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 07:26:29 AM »
I've always worried about that. When Buckley was a pup I worried and watched constantly. He did get  his front end in once and seemed to learn he couldn't go there in winter. He fishes from the edge all summer. This year we got another pup just when everything froze over. She runs accross the pond all the time. I keep wondering when she's going to fall in as eventually it will thaw enough!! Now Buckley is following her out there too!
Kathy

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 02:22:15 PM »
Glad he's okay Tink!

DD's dog started walking out in the pond last week but luckily I was outside and saw her immediately. 

Kinda makes us wonder if we should train them to stay completely away from the pond at all times, she's so used to the pond being her 'water bowl' when she's outside.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 04:37:19 PM »
Glad he's ok also Tink.  Had the same thing happen to our shepard, as she was older and could not see well and fell in twice.  Once DH left her out and I didn't know, he forgot, we went grocery shopping and on returning heard her barking, she was half in half out, but couldn't get all the way out, her fur on top was all frosty and frozen, I was so glad she warmed up fast, and didn't have problems because of it.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"