Author Topic: Koi Becoming Gravid  (Read 614 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Koi Becoming Gravid
« on: February 13, 2008, 07:30:42 AM »
The fish can tell it's close to spring time here in South Texas... my larger females are noticably plump with eggs.

I know I don't need any new fish, but I sure hope I can catch some eggs and save some eggs this year - Previously, when I've watched them spawn, the males follow the females, doing the fertilizing bit, and then the mass of other fish follow in their wake, eating the eggs as soon as they're laid.  My spawning mat had never trapped a one.

It would be fun to have some hatch, though, and to raise them to adulthood.  Wonder what colors and patterns my fishies would produce...

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Koi Becoming Gravid
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 09:12:30 AM »
Got any anachris you could toss in....that stuff gets full of eggs....so does hornwort...and I think both are o.k. to have in Texas...I use hyacinth and lettuce for spawing plants...but, so far they are still legal here in Oklahoma....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"