Author Topic: What Valentine's day means to me....  (Read 1175 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What Valentine's day means to me....
« on: February 14, 2008, 06:43:07 PM »
Most people see Valentine's as a day of romance, but for me it means something else.  When I was a kid, my mother would pick us up on Saturdays and take us to her parent's house for the day, that was her visitation with us pending the divorce from my father.  The Saturday after my 15th birthday, we were going to celebrate at grandma & grandpa's house.  Grandpa had been sick for about two years, and when he had just started showing signs of his illness he had said some things to me that were a little hurtful about my father.  They were true, but I was just a scared kid with lots of responsibilities and I didn't want to admit he was right.  I had to care for my three younger siblings during the week, cooking, cleaning, changing diapers...your basic mr. mom stuff.

After grandpa had said what he did, I was pretty mad at him and I can't remember why.  I didn't talk to him for a while, and I stopped going out there on Saturdays.  When asked why, I told my mother that grandpa said some things that had upset me.  When grandma confronted him, he said he didn't remember saying any of it, and not much else became of it.  A few weeks later, grandpa was starting to lose his vision and had to be helped around the house, and eventually he would black out.  It turned out that he had a brain tumor, and was later diagnosed with cancer.  His tumor was causing him to say things he didn't mean to say, and then forget that he said them, and he began the long battle for two years that followed.  After a couple years I was told that I should forgive my grandfather for what he had said, and I, still too young to understand what a tumor and cancer was all about, finally conceded and went to see him in the hospital. 

Grandpa was skinny, and I would have thought he looked sick except for the beam of light that seemed to emanate from his eyes as he gleamed a huge smile when I came into the room.  I asked him if he was still mad at me, and you know grandparents and their unconditional love - he told me he never was mad at me, but asked if I had forgiven him for what he had said to me.  We made up, and I had my grandfather back...and we all hoped he would get better. 

He spent those two years in and out of the hospital, never quite beating the cancer...or the tumor.  His health continued to fail, but it was always back and forth.  We never knew what to expect, and I can remember grandma thinking the charges for small things, like disposable slippers and cotton balls were ridiculous, so she would buy them from a local medical supply to save on medical costs.  My grandparents were the couple to beat all couples...they loved each other passionately and spent their vacations overseas, and sending us cassette tapes so we could hear their voices.  Grandpa was a retired Rear Admiral in the US Navy, then worked for the US Government for 20 years and retired from there too.  I always did my science fair projects on the Hawker-Siddeley Harrier, a project with the government that grandpa worked on.  They were the jets that would eventually be used by our US Marines; capable of vertical/short take off/landing (VSTOL) and hardly anyone knew about them so all were fascinated with their abilities.  They lived in England for five years at a time, twice, while he worked for the government, and grandma loved her garden there, and they both enjoyed their love of birds, members of the Audobon society.  Interestingly enough, I would end up owning a bird as a pet, and have had Rocky now for almost 16 years.

I remember grandpa showing off to us kids at his brother-in-law’s home in Annapolis, Md., just off the Chesapeake Bay.  He was showing us how he could ride a bicycle backwards; he lasted a few feet, then fell over and cut his elbow on the pavement.  I remember him laughing as he took a handkerchief from his pocket to wipe up the blood, how he seemed so invulnerable to pain or injury.  When we went back to the house to clean up his wound, grandma lectured him about "showing off to the boys" again, and he just laughed.   Nothing could take that laugh away from him or the smile that he always gave me when I saw him.

That Saturday in 1976, my mother picked us up and told me that we would have my party at Grandma's house, and that Saturday was Valentine's day.  When we pulled up to the house, there were lots of cars parked out front and I remember thinking to myself how kewl it was that I was going to have a big birthday party with so many people.  When we got out of the car, I rushed into the house to see who came for my party, and there were lots of older people, and older faces, that I didn't recognize.  Then I noticed grandma sitting on the couch and she was crying, so I asked her what was wrong but she just asked for my mother.  When my mother walked in, I guess she knew, and I would soon find out that grandpa had lost his 2-year battle with cancer that morning.  Since then, I rarely ever celebrate my birthday, and I have a very hard time thinking about anyone other than grandpa, a man who was taken from us...from me... before I was old enough to appreciate him for the man he was.  I often feel guilty for being mad at him when he was sick, nobody had ever died in my life before him and I never thought he would be taken from me before I got to know him better, as a young man.

My grandmother loved him so much, and she stayed in that house until about 1993 when she fell and broke her hip.  She knew then that she had to find someplace to live where she wasn't alone.  She never remarried, I think, because her heart still belonged to grandpa.  She passed away a couple years ago, just shy of her 96th birthday, coincidentally, right after Thanksgiving.  They were an amazing couple, and I miss them separately - as well as together.

Years later, I wrote this about grandpa:

I Remember...
...you taught me about jets, they were my science project that year.
...you taught me about cars, how they'd coast without being in gear.
...you tried to ride a bike sitting backwards, you skinned your arm.
...you taught me about automatic milking machines on that dairy farm.
...visiting you on weekends, I felt I was the reason you smiled a lot.
...some of the funnier things you said, that you claimed you forgot.
...the riding mower you purchased, how I'd help you mow the lawn.
...I grew up scared, but when I was with you all my fears were gone.
...seeing interesting things that without you I may have never seen.
...when I was 13 you became ill, you said things you didn't mean.
...that I was hurt by what you said to me, for months I stayed away.
...you had cancer, and a tumor, and they were counting down the day.
...you forgave me when I visited you, you said that you weren't mad.
...how you looked so pale and thin, you lost all the weight you had.
...visiting Grandma on Valentine's Day, that morning you had died.
...going to the funeral, I couldn't move so I sat there and I cried.
...missing you because I hadn't seen you in so many lonely years.
...I dreamt I saw you, I asked where you were and I woke up in tears.
...what you look like Grandpa, because I've got a lot of your genes.
...a lot of things about you, and I remember what unconditional means.

I found this picture of him one day a few years before grandma moved out of the house, and it really moved me.  Although the bird grandpa is holding isn't a cockatoo, like Rocky, it was very significant to me that the only picture I could find of him holding a bird was with a white bird...like Rocky.

Charles "Dean" Smith

I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What Valentine's day means to me....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
He was everything a grandparent should be--an escape from everyday living with your parents.      (8:-)    They teach you things your parents don't have time for, do things and make things that your parents didn't think of.  Grandparents usually don't have to worry about 'getting things just right'--they've already done that (or not done that) with their own kids and don't want to have to worry about that with the grandkids, they do the things "in between the lines" that kids need to know. That's what I remember about my wonderful grandparents, and what I'm teaching to my granddaughters   o(:-)  Happy Valentine's Day!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 07:35:01 PM »
Your Grandparents left a great mark on your life as should all our elders.  When they passed away I'm sure they didn't expect you to put everything aside.  When my father died 20 years ago still young but ill he knew he wouldn't have the chance to experience all that life could present.  To this day my husband and I always remember him when we travel, because he was a traveling man if only in his heart; when we find a great deal in wine, he would have been the first one to exclaims its wonders; eat a delicious steak, he always had that special expression you could feel throughout your being when he bit into a bite of rare charbroiled beef.  I smile remembering.  I promised him in my heart that I would not let him down.  I will enjoy my life and make sure my family and friends all around do the same.  Within the law ( {:-P;;) I will do my best.

Blind'Too make Valentine's Day and every day a day to celebrate!  You've made it this far and looks like you've done well for yourself on your own two feet....enjoy the rest of your life!

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 04:22:46 AM »
And there was your letter, a letter to Grandpa. On the letters to Momma thread you felt like you had no letter to write. After reading your story, I understood.

But, your Grandfather touched your life and left good footprints in your heart. I like the theme that you used, "I remember". In the letters to Momma thread, thats what everyone is saying.

I believe that I just read a "Letter to Grandpa" that you wrote long ago. They are not gone, just in another place. I believe that they can see and know when you miss and talk to or about them, as you just did.

After living the hard life that you did, I'm really glad to know that you had a man who touched your life. a man that loved you and you still love. It's those little things that we never forget like seeing Grandpa riding a bicycle backwards and falling off.

Think about it, he probably would not have done that if you were not there to see it. Now that simple act is forever frozen in time and tied to your memory of him.

I think that you should write him a letter. You don't have to post it here unless you want to, I would love to read it as you have a way with words.

The written word is strong. Once I was struggling with a problem and a friend told me to write a letter to myself about it. I thought that was one of the stupidist things that I had ever heard. She insisted that it worked.

I thought and told her that "I live inside this skull every day, how will writing myself change that?"

"Just try it." She said.

So at work one night I penned a letter to myself. I looked back two paragraphs and was stunned. It was a simple line or two and i can't put my finger on the exact words or thoughts right now but in essence, it said this.

At the time that I was born there were no blacks in our part of town. I was a Spaniard and very swarthy. I never knew this until I enrolled in school. The kids treated me different and the parents did too, this was 1961.

The prejudice that I experienced at the hands of some of the students but much more so from their parents gave me an inferiority complex. I grew up feeling that I had done something wrong. That I was not equal and did not deserve the same things that the richer white kids got.

I learned to settle for less. Even in my first marriage. I settled for someone that I really didn't trust and turned out to be unfaithfull. All because I felt that I did not deserve any better, because I wasborn dark skinned.

I actually never realized this until i sat and wrote a letter. a letter to myself. the actual act of putting the thoughts into text makes you look at them from a different perspective.

Blind Too, write a letter to Grandpa, he is listening.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Bartender

• Members
  • With us since: 10/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Texas Wildcatters Booster Club
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 10:14:06 AM »
Blind'Too, what a wonderful tribute to your grandparents. It sounds as if they were truly "Grand Parents".

I never had grandparents. My mother was 49 years old when she got me. My daddy was 64. I was adopted. I don't mean ancestors, I mean grandparents.

My daddy immigrated from Scotland, and his parents died when he was very young. My mother's father died years before I was born. My grandmother was alive, but had a stroke when I was 3 or 4 and lived with us for a short time, then went to live with other relatives, then back on her own for awhile, then eventually to a nursing home, where she finally died.

I never had that "going to grandma's house" experience. I would so envy my friends when they would come back to school or vacations, telling about their time at Grandma and Grampa's house, or what Grandma and Grampa got them for this gift or that.

My daddy died when I was 8, then my mother died when my oldest son was almost 2. Obviously, he doesn't remember her. His other grandparents are still alive, but are not much more than drunks, and certainly aren't very "grandparently".  My twins were born six years later; different father, different set of "un-grandparently" issues.

When I remarried again (yes, that makes three) I married a wonderful man with no children of his own, but outstanding parents. Nana and Pawpaw immediately accepted my children from the first time they met.

I am in NO hurry, but I can say I am looking forward to the day that I can be THE grandparent that I never had.

Blind, you were given such a wonderful gift. Cherish the memories. Good and bad. They are part of who you are today.

((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))
I shall pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now...for I shall not pass this way again. --William Penn
[IMG]

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 11:01:32 AM »
BT your stories never ciece to amaise me. I love the way you tell them, your so open and honest. I'm so thrilled you had such a wonderful granddad that loved you so much. Thank You for sharing that touching memorie o(:-)
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"