Author Topic: Question about feeding...  (Read 735 times)

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Question about feeding...
« on: March 14, 2008, 03:40:31 PM »
The temps here have been up in the 60's and low 70's during the day, and dipping down into the mid to high 40's at night. This has been going on for over a week, and looks to continue, with temps increasing as the season progresses......

Heres my question.....
The water in the pond is reading in the low 50's, and I've noticed the goldfish following  o( o( o(me as I work around the pond. Is it safe to start feeding them yet? :-\

I also have 5 new goldies that have wintered over inside, how warm should I let the pond water get before adding them?

Thank you in advance......

Vicky
 o( o( o( o( o(

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Question about feeding...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 03:43:07 PM »
Mine are doing the same thing.  I havent feed yet cause it still get ting pretty cold at times.  When I do start mine, I start very very slow.  I like for it to warm up enuff for me to be able to get in and do the maintenance cleaning before they starting eatting alot and get alot of water problems. 

tinkster

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Question about feeding...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 04:52:35 PM »
You want your water to be a fairly consistant 50/55 or above.
Don't know your location but it sounds like feeding them alittle would be perfectly okay.. just know they CAN go without food though! ;)
A wheat germ food is very good to use for this time of the year.

As far as the goldfish indoors, either wait until the pond temp is the same as the indoor aquarium? or you can slowly start cooling down the aquarium until it gets to the pond temp. and release them..

I'd wait until your pond temp is at least a steady temp of 60.

Good luck,
Bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"