Author Topic: PetSmart Closing Out Orandas - $3!!!  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
PetSmart Closing Out Orandas - $3!!!
« on: February 25, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »
I was only going to buy fish food and cat litter, I swear!

But I walked past the for-adoption kitties, as usual, and then I took a detour past the fish tanks.  PetSmart - at least the one in my neighborhood in Houston - is not going to carry these particular fish any more (don't know if that means the type, size, or what....evidentally they are not big sellers ?? ). 

Anyway, I couldn't believe when I saw the large (2"-3") orandas and several other types of goldfish, at big mark-downs.  They had red-and-white, red-and-black, and calico orandas, for $3-$3.50, and other types and sizes of goldfish, all really marked down.  Some of the more expensive were $7-$12, but that's still a savings over their regular price.  They even had some of those goggle-eyed ones that look like they have sacks of water around their eyes - for $2! 

I didn't get one of those - didn't seem like it would be hardy in my pond, trying to keep up with the less-emcumbered fishies, and dodging 'coons and cats.  But I did get a couple of orandas.  They're about as big as some I've had for a couple of years!

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: PetSmart Closing Out Orandas - $3!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »
Wow , what a find ! U don't get those kind of deal's at our Petsmart . The one in cincy that is .

bonnie

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:47:24 AM »
When we had a petsmart close by, their Oranda's were always so pretty.  But you buy them and with in a week, they were a floating.  I never had any luck with fish from there for some reason.  But I had bought them from another petsmart and they did fine.  Maybe that's is one of the reasons why this petsmart went out of business.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 11:36:59 AM »
I can't keep any fish from our Petsmart alive. :(
I was in there the other day and they had some pretty nice really large orandas but they were $29.99 each. ::)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:26:56 PM »
i've bought all my fantail's from Petsmart ( in cincy ) . They're all alive & well . All are out in the pond too & few are getting pretty big , I've had them so long.

bonnie

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 05:57:59 PM »
I can't keep any fish from our Petsmart alive. :(
I was in there the other day and they had some pretty nice really large orandas but they were $29.99 each. ::)

I just bought one today. I guess I'll see what happens.
Kay

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 12:09:32 PM »
I stopped in our Petsmart last night to get dog food. They had the Orandas and Ryunkins on clearance for $3.50 and $3.75.
I didn't see any that I really liked. I don't like to buy fish from our Petsmart as their tanks are such a mess and the fish
look bad the biggest end of the time.
Shanna

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 06:23:39 PM »
I didn't find any bargains but the fish looked healthy and cared for at the one I was in.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 10:55:24 AM »
Keep in mind that they aren't the best pond fish and are prone to swim bladder problems.  They don't swim very well so they are easy marks for predators too. They are best in a tank. Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but figure most of us have indoor fishies too.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »
Most of my fantails, including orandas and ryunkins, etc., have come from PetSmart.  In my neighborhood store, the tanks are kept VERY clean, and they even feed their fish "extras" like zucchini and oranges. 

My goldfish LOVE my pond, and have really grown.  Some of my sarassas must be more than 7-10 years old.  My oldest fantails are about 3yrs, maybe, and about 3"-4".  I do worry about those fat, wobbly fish not being able to evade a predator (that's why I didn't buy any with the sacks around the eyes - way too slow), but so far, the 'coons and cats don't bother the koi pond too much, and seem content to pillage the turtle pond and eat my cull fish - that pond is shallow and has sloping sides and is easy to get into.

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 10:43:10 AM »
Keep in mind that they aren't the best pond fish and are prone to swim bladder problems.  They don't swim very well so they are easy marks for predators too. They are best in a tank. Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but figure most of us have indoor fishies too.

Yep, my fancies stay inside in the 55. I don't even try to keep them in the watergardens.
Shanna

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 11:24:35 AM »
Me too, I have them in the house and in the lilie tank inside the greenhouse.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"