Author Topic: Pond visitors  (Read 1481 times)

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Pond visitors
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:26:04 PM »
These exotic animals have become regular visitors lately. They live two doors down but often escape their  enclosure and seem to enjoy our garden. They are very curious and come to within a few feet of us even though Ginger barks at them. Today they were very brave and spent the entire morning wandering through the garden areas, following us around like puppies. The baby would hide behind mom and peek out at us. Quite cute really.

Here we have Dad

This is the whole family watching the cars go by on the road

The family at the pond

The baby peeking out from behind mom. They were only a few feet from me at this point but I only had a prime lens on the camera and no time to change it. It was a very busy, crazy day here with lots happening so I was surprised that they stayed around so long. They are a very friendly family and seem to enjoy our yard. I hope they come back on a quieter day so I can get some better photos.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond visitors
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 04:23:59 AM »
Great shots! Are they Lamas or alpacas? I can't tell how big the are.I don't know if comming around during growing season would be to much fun. Munch Munch! Your place looks lovley and secluded!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:31:42 AM »
What neat visitors...hope they aren't anything like a goat or comes spring you'll have nothing but nubs where the flowers should be...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Krista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:40:31 AM »
how neat!! like having a private showing :) do their owners notice the disappearing trio eventually or do you call?
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 11:10:48 AM »
Nice looking animals.  Hope they don't like wading in water......
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 11:27:53 AM »
Yes, nice visitors.  Like the others said, hope they don't like spring/summer flowers.  Espically water lily's, couldn't imagine walking out and seeing one in you pond chomping away.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 02:00:33 PM »
Don't they spit? Really icky spit?
Tammie

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 06:49:46 PM »
Pretty animals but I'm not real sure if I would want them tromping through my gardens, sure do hope they don't go wading.... and who picks up the poo?  I think I'd be asking the neighbors to secure the pen a bit more.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »
they are so adorable!  We have quiet a few lama farms in our area and they are very friendly, make nice pets.  Are those lamas or alpacas?  kind of look a bit different than the lamas here.

tinkster

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 12:17:09 AM »
I don't know any thing about these animals. I think they are lamas, but not sure. I've heard that they spit when they feel threatened. These guys are pretty calm and friendly but I still keep my distance. They belong to a property two doors down the street. There are horses there as well in the same pen. The owners of the animals don't live there. When the animals get out they come and get the horses back but the Lamas seem to go back on their own. Sometimes we have all of the animals in our field out back. So far they haven't gone into the water or eaten anything in the gardens but eat the grass in the field out back. I plan to talk to the people who live there some time soon and get more information on the animals. They are well cared for but for some reason they manage to escape. My biggest concern is the animals getting out onto the road and getting hurt but so far they go out back and we are fenced on the front of our property.

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 07:54:28 AM »
They are llamas. Tons of them around here. Alpacas have much more wool and different shaped heads.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »
Thanks LeeAnne! We have both here too but I wasn't quite sure which was which, so now I know.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"