Author Topic: Status of Greenhouse  (Read 1006 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Status of Greenhouse
« on: March 05, 2008, 08:18:19 AM »
I had big plans for DH to weatherise the greenhouse. Even purchased reflective bubble wrap and weather stripping. However, it didn't happen. He did run an electric cord out there and the ceramic heater kept most of the plants alive while warming half the block I'm sure since there are gaping holes in spots in the frame that weren't sealed.

The pond wasn't finished either. I guess I'm really going to have to learn to use tools and to cut and measure straight but dang it. I have so many other chores to do and I'm artistic not logical.

Didn't have money to buy lights so......the lovely papyrus sent by MikeW looks like heck, weak and spindly and leaning way over. The dwarf umbrella grass and smaller papyrus sent by Lawanna (I think) was right in the front window and looks better. The Mexican petunias are almost dead. The water lettuce is dead. I believe the tropical waterlilies are all dead too. They certainly did not stay green or bloom. I'm going to have to drain the pond to get all the rotten vegetation out.

Many of the tropical land plants I bought are alive though infested with aphids and spider mites. Many have lost a lot of foliage and don't look good at all though. My lemon tree looks like heck but is covered with buds. I'm looking forward to that smell. My dwarf gardenia bloomed much of the summer so that was nice.

I'm bummed that Mikey and Bev had to see it this way.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Status of Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:32:56 AM »
They will perk up as soon as you get some higher temps and sunshine.  Don't despair.
I assure you Mikey has had failures too.  Don't we all?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 08:55:02 AM »
Hang in there LeeAnne, hopefully it will get complete by next year.
Maybe you need to hire Bob for a job or two ?  ;)

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 09:59:52 AM »
LeeAnn ever wonder why I don't post pics of my gh around this time of year  {:-P;;.....by this time most of my tropical fruit trees, tropical hibiscus, and many of my house plants are bald....lots of brown foliage....and there is a lovely mat of green algae growing on top of the water where the tropical lilies are....since I started bringing in spiders and praying mantis and cutting back a lot of the plants my bug problem is almost non existent...but, my first 3 years I fought aphids like mad.....start fertilizing  and cut back any brown or  bug infested plants----I bet you by April you will not believe they are the same plants....oh and lettuce and hyacinth are tuff to winter over---I sell to several gh's locally because they can't get it to winter over....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:03:59 PM »
Don't give up on your plants just yet. As soon as it warms up a bit they will take off again. Mine have been under lights and warm in the basement sunroom and they still look like heck and are covered in aphids also. That all clears up as soon as I get them back outside. Can't wait to throw them all out into the garden again. Hope it warms up out there soon though. It's still so cold at night.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »
I'm bummed that Mikey and Bev had to see it this way.
Quite to the contrary.  I was impressed.   O0  Most of my attention was focused on the lemon tree and I was surprised at how well it looked.  Yes, some things looked a little raggedy but that happens down here every winter with my outdoor plants but I know that come March they will snap out of it. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 10:49:11 AM »
Heck your doing good. My 8x16 fiberglass green house have never gotten insolated or heated and it's basicly storage in the winter. I want to move it up bu the pond this year and get electricity hooked to it.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 05:42:32 PM »
Hey LeeAnne , my plant's don't look all that great during the winter either . The Taro's , Umbrella & water Canna looked awful . The Taro is starting to get green on it ....the other two plant's haven't even started to come back up .

Now my tropical waterlilies are doing Great , but then I put a 800 watt titanium heater in the pond .
It kept the tropical .w.lilies alive & growing . I haven't figured out why the other plant's don't do as good as the waterlilies .... :thinking:..oooh well , one of life's mystries (sp) I guess .

bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"