Author Topic: My Lily Pond is going, going, going......  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My Lily Pond is going, going, going......
« on: March 07, 2008, 06:30:42 PM »
It looks like the lily pond is gonna be tore down or it's gonna fall down. >:(-

We built it on the edge of our property which the side is a hill... well it is now lopsided, there's a small landslide happening.

We've lived here for 21 years now and have NEVER had problems.   
It's probably 100 feet from the road and the road has been slipping for the past several years on the opposite side so I'd just bet it's affecting our property now.

Just hopefully it doesn't go further north on our property because then it will affect my filters for the big pond, etc.

(this pix was from 2006 after we built it)

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My Lily Pond is going, going, going......
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 06:33:48 PM »
Still looks good to me mine is about gone too. Its about to bust wide open. I wished I had just bought a few galvanized stock tanks.

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 08:07:43 PM »
Hi Sweetie! :hug:
Sorry to hear about your lilypond.. what do you mean by 'bust wide open'?

The pix that I posted isn't how it looks now... right now the top right hand corner is sunken way down. 
Hopefully it doesn't sink anymore until we can do something about it.   Have a few goldies in there, hope they don't take a ride down the hill. o( o( o( o( o(

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:12:12 PM »
Probably from the ground being so wet.  Just kind of washing away.  I know the ground here is like a giant  WET sponge.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline justme

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:38:10 PM »
Bonnie I just did not put in enough posts in the ground the weight of the water is tearing it apart. I am talking about the above ground I built it wrong.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:44:26 PM by justme »

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:17:10 AM »
Sorry about the lily ponds you two.  Will you be rebuilding/relocating them?
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 10:35:25 AM »
Hey Bonnie:

You can use jacks with fill to jack up the pond again or above ground ponds are pretty easy to dissassemble and reassemble.  Looks like you have landscape ties with Spikes? 

Justme next time you build the above ground use screws or spikes and you won't have troubles.  Nails tend to give way.   The posts in the ground are really to prevent settling similar to Bonnie not really support.  Usually you want to pour footers below the frost level for your area and then use posts to anchor the pond and keep it level.  Note in Miami (no frost level no inground posts were needed and some of the ponds have been at our old nursery since 1982!!

Gary

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 10:49:26 AM »
 Justme, I forgot about that lily pond.. thought you were meaning your other one by your pond.

Gary, the boards are 4x4's with spikes and yes it's definately is going to be moved BUT hopefully it doesn't move itself more before it's relocated.

One corner of our pergola is affected so DH said he was going to have to jack it up and fill and put more concrete,etc around the posts.

We need more LAND! (that just MIGHT be happening in the future)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 01:14:50 PM »
woohoo.. more land , more ponds.. Sure hope it holds together for ya till you can do what ya need.. we are due another big front in here next week to with more rain, not sure if IN is getting to or not but we are so flooded right now.

tinkster

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 07:38:39 PM »
Bonnie ,
That was the pond we went "fishing" in last year .... {:-P;; ...we got all nice & smelly too.... lol
I hate to hear it's falling in on ya . Hopefully it'll hold until Spring get's here or until U can get relocated .

bonnie

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 07:57:15 AM »
Well the lily pond is officially a below ground structure. :-\
My Pergola is going too.....

DH turned off the pond electric from our main box in the house because our electric box is attached to the pergola and it's pulling out of the conduit.

Now our main concern is the koi pond/filtration which luckily is on the furthest end but it is being affected, just hopefully not enough to do damage.
Our concrete filter bay was built into the side of the hill to help hide it and if that gives way, we are in BIG trouble! >:(-

I called the insurance company today to start a claim... it's pouring rain so I'll get pix of the damage when it stops.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:05:35 AM by Bonnie »

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 10:24:03 AM »
What a mess! :'(

As much as I hate that my lilypond and Pergola have to be moved, I'll really concerned about the big pond... if the landslide moves more in that area, we are going to be in a world of hurt.

Looking on the bright side as far as the lilypond, at least all of the ground around it collapsed so the whole thing went down so the lilies and fish that are in there are okay for the moment..

I've contacted our insurance company and a rep is supposed to call me to come out but with the rain and soggy conditions there's nothing that can be done now.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »
Oh, Bonnie.....Oh, man.  That is so sad, I know it is heart breaking to you.  Seeing all your beautiful, hardwork just go down hill.  :hug:  Crossing my fingers your big pond stays safe.

If you need any help let me know, my hours will be cut down and I'm willing to come help you if you need me.   :hug:

Besides the lily pond, how are you all doing with all this rain.  Everything is flooding, heard its going to be worse than 97.  I believe you all have gotten more rain than us, and its a mess here.

Kim
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:00:35 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 12:34:02 PM »
Oh my word!!! It really did move!!!  :'(
How awful and frustrating for you.
Not good that your soil is eroding away like that.
You're going to have to do some work there to stop it.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 01:55:18 PM »
How scary.  I can't believe how much it has collapsed.  I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope something good comes out of this. 
Alfonso

Offline justme

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 03:52:59 PM »
WE got eight inches of rain yesterday. I pulled the hose out of the lily pond and drained it all day and it barely stayed ahead of the rain I sure thought it would burst wide open yesterday. I did not have time to do anymore as we were trying to keep the water out of dads house. we vacuumed water every hour until 3 this morning to keep it out of the living room where it would have ruined his new laminate floors. It did keep flooding the kitchen and bathroom.the water was coming down so fast it was seeping in the bricks where they had cracks in them from being froze. His house was built years ago and  you step down to get in the house. Just one step but that is enough to put the whole house six inches or so underground level.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 07:52:34 AM »
OH Bonnie you poor girl....who would have thought it would do that  :(.....hope your able to come up with a solution to restore everything...your pond area is gorgeous.....

Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 05:14:35 PM »
How sad and horrible for this to happen to you and others in all the rain you are receiving!  I hope the process of clearing the destruction you will be able to rebuild on sturdier grounds.  It's really sad to see all your beautiful work destroyed.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 05:30:59 PM »
Oh, it's heartbreaking.  It was so beautiful.  I know you will make it beautiful again but how difficult to have this happen.  I'm so sorry.

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »
Bonnie, so sorry about your ponds.  Bet it was prettyt hing on top of hill like that
tho.  Loved your pergola too.  Good luck with them.

Marie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"