Author Topic: Golden Koi with Bent tail  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Sassy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Golden Koi with Bent tail
« on: September 19, 2006, 07:57:04 PM »
We have a golden koi which we've had since we first build the pond.  Anyway, it has had a bent tail the past 9 months.  Has been able to eat by swimming in circles and finally getting food.  It is about 15 inches long.  Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas as to what we could do?  We truely do not want to put one of our first fish to sleep.
Heart Broken

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Koi with Bent tail
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 09:49:54 PM »
curous to know that when it got the bent tail had there been a thunderstorm?  Or was there any electrical problems?  It sounds like what happens when a fish gets shocked somehow.

If the fish is functioning ok, eating ok and you don't mind seeing it doing it's circles, I'd leave it alone.
Mary

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 07:15:08 PM »
I have one that has a bent tail.  He was trapped in a coconut netting that a lill came in.  I thought he would die but he didnt.. he had something that almost look like a ulcer on the tail.  He has long since mended now but has a bent tail.  Not as bad as your fish as he can still swim pretty normal.

tnkster

Offline Sassy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 05:51:27 PM »
froloplady

Our golden koi was near the pump when it had an electric short, this happened last summer.  She/He has been doing fine till the past couple months.  I was getting worried because of how the koi has to go in circles to eat.  But is able to get food evenually. 
 I do want to thank you for your help and reply.  I have felt bad for the koi but could not think of having it put to sleep.  As mentioned this is my first koi when we build the pond ourselves about 7 years ago.
Thank you again for your imput.

Offline Sassy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 06:17:21 PM »
tinkster,

My koi did not have any type of ulcer on its tail.  The bent tail has been there and I feel so bad for him/her.  We keep hoping each winter that it will make it thru the season.  I do feel bad when it tries to eat, but to my surprise it evenually gets some food.  It even comes over when it is feeding time.
Thank you for sharing your fish story as well.
Sassy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"