Author Topic: Joyce, tell me how  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Joyce, tell me how
« on: April 03, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »
you go about mounting an epiphitic (sp) orchid on the outside of those coconut fiber pots.  I was reading about Johns' cymbidium and am fascinated in learning to grow different types of orchids.  I have been to garden centers and have seen some gorgeous orchids (and they are literally growing out of their pots) and I would also like to get a staghorn fern ( I have made a wooden hanger with chicken wire and moss) to put one in but nobody sells these ferns around here.  And nobody acts like they know how to grown them or orchids  :-\  Any help and suggestions are welcome!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Joyce, tell me how
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 05:51:06 PM »
Hi Kittyzee!

If the orchid is already mounted, I simply hang them off the metal parts of the hanging planter.
(Most mounted orchids have a built in hook for hanging)

If it's not mounted yet, I use sheets of coco fiber, and cut them into approx. 6 x 6" squares.
Then I cut an X into the center of the squares. (the cuts should be about 2-3" long)
Then I gently guide the roots of the orchid through the X opening, spread the roots out,
and slide the twosome between the metal planter and the existing coco liner.
Here's a typical hanging pot I found on eBay to use as an example...

Then I gently ease the foliage and crown through the metal lattice.
You can do this even when the planter is already planted, a bit more tedious to do, but best to do when repotting and mounting a few orchids.
Sometimes, when all is said and done, the mounted orchids are still a bit floppy, so I use twist ties, hemp twine, hair clips and even rubber bands to keep them firmly in place while they are getting themselves rooted in. Hemp twine looks the best, and you can just leave it there. I also throw a wisp of spanish moss over the top of each mounted orchid, cuz not only does it look nice, but it conceals any twist ties, rubber bands, hairclips, etc. And the spanish moss helps retain some moisture/humidity when you hose down the orchids.
I have one hanging planter that has at least 6 orchids in it...3 inside the planter and 3 on the outside.
It can EASILY accomodate at least a dozen more orchids...I just need to find MORE.  8-)~
I am just cutting WAYYYY back on buying more plants because we will be moving at the end of May.
It's getting harder and harder not to! :o

By the way, the best place to put these hanging orchid pots in the summer is outside, hanging from a tree.
The tree will shade the orchid just right, and when it rains, your orchids will LOVE the rainwater.
What your orchid will NOT like is being hung some place where it wont get any rain.
And if you can get a pitcher of pond water and pour that over the orchid, it will love it too! o(:-)

Oh, and about these types of hanging pots, the big heavy ornate expensive ones really aren't worth it cuz the orchids obscure all the pretty stuff.
What you do need to look for are sturdy ones, with nice big chains (not wimpy that wont be able to handle a heavy load when or will rust and then break)
or even better, no chain but a rigid hanging wire frame.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 06:33:47 PM »
Thanks for the info....I know where I can get cheap coconut fiber pots and I can make witht he help of DH--good strong hanging supports.  Now, if I can just get back to that garden center and hopefully a couple of those orchids will still be there! 8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:15:29 AM »
Good info Joyce, thank you.  What do you think of this idea?  I will have a narrow, long pond inside in a long hallway of the new house.  It will be open to the sky so filtered light because of the height and a bug net on the roof.  The wall behind the pond will be cut chunks of limestone rock, dug out of the yard for the outside pond.  I want to wire orchids onto that limestone wall over the pond.  They will get a little rain in the rainy season and humidity is naturally high here but more so over a pond.  Do you think they will like it there?  Any suggestions for how to attach them to the rock wall?  Oh, it is never cold, our all time low of the year was in the 50's.  We have a rainy and a dry season instead of winter and summer.

There are many epiphitic orchids and bromeliads that are native to this area, they live in the trees.  In addition, there is an orchid club and lots of specialty nurseries so getting some won't be a problem.   Also, lots of coconut palms so coco husks are not a problem either :)

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 04:34:24 PM »
Sounds good Jonna!  I think they will LOVE it there! O0
Wish I could come and help. Or move there and retire.  :D

Isn't limestone rather pourous?  :thinking:
I would think that a masonry bit would be able to drill into it.
That way you could screw in a few horizontal mounting branches cut from trees,
or deadwood branches dragged from the woods.
Even a few boards, cuz eventually they will get covered with orchids and such.
 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 12:30:13 AM »
Sounds like they need the wood in some way, perhaps they get nourishment from the decaying wood?  In the wild, I usually see them attached near the crotch of a tree with some dead leaves and stuff around and under them.   Yes, the limestone is very soft and porous so I could drill into it and attach maybe a long dead branch that looks interesting.  Then wire the orchids to that. 

It's a plan, I just can't wait until we get past the piles of rubble and dust and concrete stage.  It's kind of depressing over there right now.  We went by with some friends who just bought a beautifully remodeled home here and it came with all the furniture and everything.  They bought it, closed on Tuesday and moved in that night.  I'm happy for them but it was a little depressing to take them over to our pile of rubble and construction debris and realize we are months from moving in.   

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 05:38:53 AM »
Maybe find an entire (smallish) tree and screw it into the wall in an upright, natural growing position.  (8:-)

Yes, orchids will grow in the crotches of tree branches and other nooks and crannies of the trees.
Orchids reproduce by both seed and offsets, many make baby plants on the bloom spike,
and the spike eventually falls off, and hopefully lands in a place where the roots can anchor.
Seeds do the same thing, and rainwater will wash the seeds into the crotches, nooks and crannies.
(although I am sure lots of seeds get washed into the ground where they can not grow,
that is why orchids produce such tiny seeds in such profusion)
Often the seeds and baby orchid plants land in the crotches, nooks and crannies that catch debris as it falls from the canopy and higher parts of the trees.
And that debris around the orchids rots, creating compost, and nutrients to feed the orchid.  8)

Maybe one day I'll have the time and $$$ to come down there on an orchid photo expedition,
and help you renovate! :D

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"