Author Topic: Use of excess stone  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Cypress Point Pond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Use of excess stone
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:42:07 PM »
With the reconstruction of our pond we now find ourselfs with about 1,000+ pounds of excess stone in assorted sizes, shapes, colors, textures and types. Right at this moment I don't have a clue as to what to do with them so I'm asking my friends here at American Ponders for ideas.

You know me, I'm never short on pictures so if needed I can provide phpto's of our property and of the pile of stone.

Thanks,
louisp
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 01:26:47 PM by cypress point »
Louisp

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I need your suggestions regarding the use of excess stone.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 07:47:56 PM »
You have over 1,000 PONDS  or PoUNDS? :o

Can you give us more information about what type of pond you are building and how big?

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Use of excess stone
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:00:51 PM »
yes yes photos please.. I love stone and cant wait to see what you could do with them.

tinkster

Offline casey

• Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:30:55 PM »
If you don't want it you should check out Freecycle.  It is a worldwide website on which everything MUST be free.  You can post things you want to get rid of (offers)  @O@ or you can post for things you want (wanteds)  :D .  I have gotten a wetsuit for my winter pond immersions, rubber boots for winter wandering in my bio filter, numerous 5 gallon buckets for ponding, etc.  We have given many things we just didn't need anymore.  It was created by a great man in Tucson, AZ to help keep things out of landfills.  It was such a hit that it has spread worldwide.  If you go to the freecycle site it will ask for your zip code so it can direct you to the site closest to you.  Obviously you wouldn't want to try to freecycle something to someone in CA if you lived in MN. lol

Casey in Tucson

Offline Argos5

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:40:55 PM »
A dry creek bed is a good option.

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline enzo

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Members
  • Entrepreneur, marketer, and more...
  • With us since: 15/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Lorenzo Orlando Caum
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »
Hello, perhaps a garden path or you could place on craig's list for cash. then reinvest that money into another pond.
--
Lorenzo
Buy tropical water lilies — Utopia Aquatic
An Enzo12 LLC venture

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:08:59 AM »
I like the garden path mentioned above by others.  Also can the excess rocks be used to build a low wall...for a raised garden, like the one Jerry wants.  ;D

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 06:11:52 AM »
I was going to mention a wall, too.  Here in Houston, "seating walls" are a big landscape feature.  Just a low wall that is wide enough for you to plop your rear on, and sit and enjoy the pond.

Other ideas:

retaining wall to hold back earth, so you can have two levels in your yard

waterfall  (but then, I suppose you already have one of those    ;)   )

Here is the link to my neighobrhood FreeCycle.  You can go to "search forother groups" to find one in your area.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/heightsmontrosefreecycle/

I just redid my own pond, and, like you, was left with extra stuff (gravel).  I'm going to offer it up on FreeCycle.  Also, like Casey, I got things I needed for my redo - air pumps and covers to keep my fish safe while in their temporary quarters during the redo.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 09:02:37 AM »
Wish I could have it. I never have enough stone or rocks.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 10:20:18 AM »
It would help to see the stones, are they field rocks or flat?  If I had some extra stones (and this works with stones of ALL sizes, even small rocks) is to make a stone bed in a smallish area with a bird bath in the center, and amongst the stones are sea shells collected from visits to the beach.  I eventually want to do this--a very old lady who loved flowers and her yard passed away a few years ago and I had noticed it in her yard when I drove by.   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Cypress Point Pond

• Members
  • With us since: 04/11/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 01:28:08 PM »
Here is a picture of the excess stone.

louisp
Louisp

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 03:21:28 PM »
EEEK! You gotta goldmine there!  A little bit of everything, all sizes and shapes.  The flat ones you could lay a pathway or a secluded area for a bench; a wall, a flower bed.  All that rock and it's only 6 days into spring!  :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 03:58:18 PM »
After seeing all that rock I think the best thing to do is send it to me  :D ;D  That's some colorful palette.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"