Author Topic: Mouth to mouth to a Koi ...  (Read 777 times)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Mouth to mouth to a Koi ...
« on: April 07, 2008, 09:43:14 AM »
My cousin Mike cleaned out his pond yesterday . He put his shubbies & 4 koi
in a kiddie pool overnight. He looked out the window the next morning & saw the 4 koi on the ground.
Well it was too late for 3 of them . He noticed his favorite koi was still breathing sooooo he thought he would try giveing it mouth to mouth ....ok face turnning green just thinking about it....& it seem's to have worked .
So far today the koi is still liveing . He keep's checking on it & It's staying in one spot . So maybe it'll make it .

bonnie

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Mouth to mouth to a Koi ...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 12:41:34 PM »
Bonnie tell cousin to save the mouth to mouth for humans next time...Its sooo much easier to put them in front of a power head....and let the air go thru the mouth and out the gills....or if he doesn't have one of them handy....just hold it up under where the water falls back into the pond...and let all the air bubbles go into its mouth...I have brought several back from the brink of death both ways....saved one stupid asagi baby 4 times doing that....she wasn't soo lucky the 5th time she decided to bail out....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:48:16 PM »
Lawanna, I'll tell him that .

thx
bonnie

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:11:59 PM »
Great advice about the powerhead or waterfall.  I ALWAYS will cover any temporary pond as koi & goldfish will jump out.  Another reason is it helps keep predators out, too.  Sorry to hear about his koi.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 07:44:12 PM »
I'll third Lawanna's advice. I have done CPR on a koi by swishing it back and forth through the water, making sure the mouth opens and the water flows through the gills. That's the manual way; believe me, Lawanna's way is much easier! And there is a better success rate.

Koi will always want to go back where they came from. Using pond water would have helped, but not by much. As Kat said, a net cover is usually required to keep them from jumping out.  Ditto on the predator thing.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"