Author Topic: Question about Bloody Dock Plant (Updated from last year) Mar 31 08  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I see its zoned from 6a plus, which I fall in this zone.  It normally sits on a shelf with about 2 inches of water.  I've started a couple times to take it into the greenhouse, then I've thought about lowering it into the water.  I'm torn on what to do with it.  What would you do?

Kim
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:52:46 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Bloody Dock Plant
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 06:14:25 PM »
Hi Kim, I had it two years ago but mine died in the winter... but we get just a tad colder than you at times.

I think if you lowered it that it would be just fine.

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 06:44:10 PM »
Hi Kim
If you are referring to Bloody Sorrel or Rumex sanguineus ssp. sanguineus, then I personally would plant some as a bedding plant and save seed for future uses.  Thompson and Morgan sells packets of three hundred seeds this year (I think).  I have found that many of my aquatic plants do much better if I pot them up as I would a bedding plant for the greenhouse.  Bloody sorrel has been hardy here for us (zone 7a) the last seven years as a bedding plant.  This year a Lowes is the first time I've seen it sold as an aquatic plant.  Anyway I hope this is the plant you are referring to.

Paul   :)

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 06:59:49 PM »
Yes that is it, I bought mine at Lowes.  Just a different name, Bloody Dock is what was on the container.

Kim

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »
Paul do you find that it is VERY invasive when planted as a terrestrial plant?

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 07:21:50 PM »
When I looked it up Bonnie, I checked out several different sites and it said invasive as a land plant.  Right now I have all 3 plopped down in the water.  I might take one in the greenhouse just to mess with during the winter.  Trial and error.

Kim

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 07:33:01 AM »
In my experience, BD really isn't very happy in the pond.  I doubt it would survive being submerged all winter.  It will occasionally survive zone 4 as a terrestrial plant, so I bet it will be just fine planted in the garden for the winter.  Don't let it bloom if you are worried about it becoming invasive.
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 09:31:42 AM »
Hi Bonnie,
I've never had a problem with Rumex being invasive but then I'm always gathering seeds even if I don't use all of them, plus if anything pops up around here, my wife will have it in a 3 or 4 inch pot as soon as it can be transplanted.  She doesn't let many volunteers escape her....ching-ching....ching-ching!  As a complement to what JoshS posted....I have found that some plants sold for use in the margin or bog aren't really aquatic plants.....they just tolerate water in the warm season and may not be as robust in growth habit as it would have been as a bedding plant.

Paul   :)

Offline tizzylizzy

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 01:21:12 PM »
I had bloody dock too Ky Kim, a couple of years ago, as a land plant near the edge of my pond....love the plant! I never found it to be invasive and kinda wish it was now for me. It grew nice , then the bunnies would eat it up, it would come back then the following year it just died off for me, but I really do like that plant.
tizzylizzy

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 08:16:24 PM »
I liked it too for it's color and leaf shape. I was told it was hardy here. I planted it about a foot from the pond and it seemed to do well that first summer. I didn't make it to the second.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 09:37:36 AM »
I have some planted in the ground just outside of the pond.  It looked great at first and then after getting regular misting from a nearby micro-sprinkler it developed powdery mildew.  Then when the heat of August/September came it died down to the ground and I gave it up as dead.  I noticed a few days ago that a bunch of new growth is coming up O0

While writing this I remembered I also stuck some between rocks at the base of my little waterfall.  It's feet were constantly wet and it did quite well but it also died back this summer during the heat.  I just now realized that when I was doing some cleanup around the waterfall last week I remember pulling up a clump from between the rocks and believing it was crud I tossed it in the trash....  I now realize that it was my Bloody Dock plant.....  :'(  It probably would have sprung back to life as well...... :P
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 09:52:05 AM »
Remember this........I never did put it in the greenhouse for the winter, just left it sunk down in the pond.  I actually forgot about it, well today I see two of them sticking out of the water.  They made the winter.

Kim

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Bloody Dock Plant (Updated from last year) Mar 31 08
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 12:37:47 PM »
hey kim... went out to take a picture of mine but the battery was dead but  mine dont even die back in the winter. .its just as green now as it was last fall. I have one in part shade in the garden and then I have one right on the berm of the bog where it gets just wet wet dirt. Will see how invasive it is.. The one in the bog gets full sun and it got ratty looking till the black eears shaded it.

tinkster

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 02:24:56 PM »
Hey Kim , I  planted  mine in a boggy area last year & it came back ... @O@
I bought it from Lowe's .

bonnie

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 06:01:59 AM »
Pretty plant...I've never grown bog plants having stock tanks instead...but GD has outgrown her pool...it would make a perfect bog area... {:-P;; {:-P;; {:-P;;

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"