Author Topic: New take on illegal imigration  (Read 1851 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New take on illegal imigration
« on: September 21, 2006, 07:06:03 PM »

Breaking Into Your House

Large demonstrations are taking place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house)."

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because he too is hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part).

If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there. It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hard-working and honest, um, except for well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being an anti-housebreaker.

Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me.  Only in America... if you agree, pass it on (in English). If not blow it off along with your future Social Security funds!

zone 5b

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New take on illegal imigration
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 07:14:32 PM »
That's frightening!

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 07:29:41 PM »
That's good Cath, I was going to post the same article last week.

Thanks,
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 08:00:34 PM »
I have lived in this country (legally I hasten to add) for about 30 years. I just do not get the "oh well" attitude as the borders are penetrated. New Zealand also has some sort of "if they are from the South Sea islands, then let them in" type policy.

I was not born here, nor am I a US citizen, but I am beyond outraged about illegal immigration. Not to be a hypocrite, I have hired my share of "day labourers" (in fact, they dug my pond), but when they rally by the hundreds of thousands downtown demanding a reform of immigration policy, my answer is - It should be reformed - you all should be arrested - and now.

The huge numbers of university educated people, with cash, who are (figuratively) lined up outside US consultes worldwide, playing by the rules, and being turned away, while those who flaunt the rules are demanding we change the rules for them - well, choose wisely this coming election.

Every illegal I have dealt with has been a very hard working, upright, honest, just sending money to my family, type person. Better, and harder working than I can ever claim to have been - but the rallies, and the demands, have turned me completely against them.

Get in line you a**holes, and fill out the forms like everybody else. I will learn to mow my lawn until you qualify to come back as a tax paying, medical insurance buying, welcome addition to this country.

I'll just hop off my soapbox now.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 10:29:46 AM »
Some are honest, some are not, same as legal citizens.  We had our driveway paved and irrigation installed under our garage two summers ago, and the workers were all immigrants.  Legal or illegal, I don't know, they didn't speak English, but they stole every one of my tomatoes off the vines their last day of work.   lol 

I think immigrants should come into this country legally, period. 

Offline Argos5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 11:58:45 AM »
Our country's failure to protect our borders is a prime example of political correctness and the desire for votes taking precedence over common sense and national security.

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 05:50:56 PM »
Being in Florida, I've had to deal with those who were stowed away in a truck and those who have floated over on make shift rafts. For those who come in legally from Spanish speaking countries, I say,"Welcome, now learn our language which is English." I am learning Spanish because I do work with Spanish speaking people but their English isn't very good. I even buy lunch on Thursday and Friday from a guy from Mexico. He makes a heck of a sub sandwich. His English is bad but if I set and explain something to him patiently, he understands.

In case anyone didn't know, some of them from Mexico go to Peurto Rico so they get in the states semi legal.

My wife is from England and she is having a hard time getting her status changed to unconditional permanant resident alien and she speaks English. I think that if anyone from any country that doesn't speak English wants in this country, they must prove it by learning English and speak only English when in public.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 07:26:38 PM »
Scott, I want to say 'AMEN' to your post. Learn AND speak English. I am impressed when someone is able to speak 2 languages. We have very good frineds of which the wife is German. She has taught both of their kids German as well as English when they were old enough to start speaking. I have always thought that was so neat.
I am also all for anyone who wants to better theirselves by coming to our country. What a compliment for us Americans that others want to live in our country. But like everyone has said "Do it legally and be willing to make sacrifices not make us make them".
My mom was in the hospital for the last 5 weeks of her life. She and my dad worked all their lives and were never on any kind of aid. However, once she was on Social Security and medicare when she retired it was so frustrating when we had to fight for so many things that she was entitled to. The S.S. decided she probably wasn't going to get any better so decided to move her to a nursing home because it would be cheaper than a hospital. She had suffered a stroke and was unable to eat solid foods at that time. I spent 6 hours on the phone one particular day begging for anyone to get the picture that she had no way of getting anything in her body as far as food went because she was on an IV and none of the nursing homes would let her keep an IV. They were going to totally remove her from any food and basically just let her die from starvation just because 'it was cheaper'. I called her doctor, the hospital administator, SS administration, the nursing home administrator and even a city councilman when all else failed. I asked several of these people why it was that my mom, born and raised here and who had never asked or accepted any aid her entire life had to fight for humane treatment when many were getting it just by walking across our border. I finally threatened to take this matter to the media or an attorney before they finally gave in and let her live out her final days in the hospital where she was at least given fluids and IV food supplements.
So, as you can see, this is a touchy subject for me. If funds are so tight that a citizen has to fight for basic daily needs that they've earned to finish out thier life comfortably why are illegals getting those same things for free, never having made any contributions towards them?
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 11:15:20 PM »
My new Drivers License
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Celia

• Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 12:45:13 PM »
Jerry, I hope you don't mind, but I had to copy that Mexifornia drivers license and sent a copy to my sister in San Diego area, she will fall off her chair on that one. 
She may share it too, with some few thousand friends.  Thanks
Celia

Offline kaz

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 01:48:18 PM »
My sister is married to a Turkish Cypriot (AKA Creep)... anyway, I'm telling you this story with mixed feelings:

6 months ago his sister came over from Cyprus to seek medical help after discovering a lump in her breast.  His sister is a darling with a 4 years old son and her hubby is in the Turkish army.  The local hospital confirmed that she had an aggressive cancer, so she had a mastectomy.  Post op she is having chemo and radiotherapy.  The hospital is also treating her with a VERY expensive drug... she is getting all this FREE.

My cousin has the same condition and her local NHS trust won't give her the drug because of the expense... how fair is that! 

In the UK all workers have to pay into the NHS (national health service)... the amount is earnings related e.g. between 9 and 15% of a salary.  It really makes me mad when people come from overseas to take advantage of what I'm paying for. 

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 05:35:03 PM »
Kaz, my wife told me about NHS. I wish we had it here. Health insurance is way over priced. Employees can't afford family coverage.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"