Author Topic: Gave away all my orange comets!  (Read 969 times)

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Gave away all my orange comets!
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:42:02 AM »
I just finished giving away all of my plain orange comets.  I thought about it over the winter and decided I only wanted shubunkins and sarassa/white comets.

I caught all of the plain orange comets, put them in a 100-gallon stock tank and put an ad in two of the supermarkets for free pond goldfish.  One lady took most of the small ones and a large (8") one.

A guy stopped by this afternoon and took the rest (2 massive 12" ones, 2 8" ones and a few small ones).  He has a 300'x400' mud-bottom on his industrial business property, stocked with koi and goldfish. 

I gave away around around a dozen and a half.  Now my pond isn't overstocked.   8)

Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Gave away all my orange comets!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »
You did better than I getting rid of the extra fish. One winter I pulled about a dozen out of the pond and put them in a preform, intending to turn them loose in a swamp on the farm of a friend. I waited too long and cold weather set in and they all died. Naughty me.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 07:12:30 PM »
I'm glad they found good homes.

After one of Esther's famous rants, this time about overstocking, I went and caught a couple of koi, and took them out of the koi pond and put them in the turtle pond.  I advertised on FreeCycle.com, but no one wanted them.  No problem, they could live just fine in the turtle pond, even if it gets a little dirty before weekly cleanings.

Until... the damned 'coons and / or cats came and ate ALL but two goldfish.  That's five fish in one night - not eaten, but just bitten or partially chewed.  Naughty me.

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 07:57:22 PM »
I've been trying to do the same thing with all my oranges.  But I can't catch them   :(

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:22:47 PM »
Hey , that's GREAT !
I usally can get new home's for my extra goldies or koi .

bonnie

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
I removed all of the lily pots in order to make netting them easier.  I figured it would be easier when the water was still pretty cold.  I got pretty good at netting them - herded them to one end corner and when the double-backed I was able to scoop them up.

I wanted to catch all of them before the spring spawning, since I really didn't want another generation of plain comets.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 06:22:53 AM »
I have 10 water gardens. And in some of them are just goldfish. Three of the others and koi and gold fish. I have had the goldfish a long time. But I still like them too.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 08:10:04 AM »
last year we gave away about 30 in varing sizes... our local pond dealer took quite a few, told him to give them away with his  new pond setups.  DH wants just the long finned goldfish/sarrassas and I'd like to get some more shubunkins, the heron got 2 of our 3 last year.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 08:47:42 AM »
 :'( I need more plain ol' fish for my lily pools.  Raccoons may have eaten most of mine.  Either that or they jumped out and finned their way to the creek.   :D  Oh well. 

You did good, Reedman.  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"