Author Topic: outdoor electrical outlets not working  (Read 2013 times)

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
outdoor electrical outlets not working
« on: April 12, 2008, 09:04:09 PM »
We have 3 outdoor ground-falult electrical outlets including the one that I plug the pond pump into.  They were installed by an electrician about 4 years ago.  A few days ago they all stopped working, fine one day, dead the next.  The breaker switch on the electrical panel did not appear to have been tripped but I re-set it (several times) just in case.

I will have to get an electrician over but I know that I will be lucky to get anyone to show up in the next 2 or 3 weeks.  In the meantime does anyone have any thoughts as to what may have gone wrong? 

Thanks,
emm

Offline kc8pny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: outdoor electrical outlets not working
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 09:20:40 PM »
Try the reset button on the GFCI itself.
It sounds like that may be what is wrong.
Hoe that helps

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 09:58:30 PM »
Good advice thats what I would try first. I have one that if it trips the others will not work. Let us know what you find out. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline emm

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 08:53:10 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions.  These outlets do not have a reset button on them.  I run my pond pump all year long so I know they worked through all the rain and snow of winter.  Last week our snow melted very quickly, we lost about 2 feet in a week so the ground was probably wetter than usual.  Two of the outlets are attached to the side of the house and the snow did not at any time cover them.  The outlet for the pond is mounted on the side of the deck near the pond and did have snow up around it although there had been no snow around it for at least a week when it failed.  All the outlets have 2 sealed covers but of course the outlet that the pump was plugged into had it's cover open to accommodate the plug.  I wondered if it had got damp and tripped something but without a reset button on the outlet I had assumed it would be the breaker on the electrical panel on the basement that tripped.  This does not seem to be the case. 

I appreciate your suggestions.  emm

Offline kc8pny

• Members
  • With us since: 08/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 09:08:14 AM »
If you have a voltmeter I would see what kind of voltage if any you are getting from your receptacles.
Usually something like that would trip your breaker in the panel box. But I have seen where sometimes where it would not.
It sounds like it is a bad receptacle and which it is not shorting out to trip your breaker in the panel box. If you feel comfortable with electricity you could switch out your receptacle, But if not you need to call a Electrician.
If it was not so far I would come and get it fixed up for you as I am Electrician by trade :)
Hope that helps, Let us know what you find out

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »
If you replace the receptacle use a GFCI outlet.  Definitely worth it safety wise for you and your pets.

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 11:24:25 AM »
If an electrician installed them you'd think there would be at least a GFCI somewhere on the circuit. Are you sure there isn't one before the plugs somewhere?

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »
First try what kcpny recommends.  I'm sure kc is more aware of this type of situation.  However, I had this problem and this is my advice. 

All it takes is for the wires to get somewhat wet for them to corrode.  That outlet is part of a circuit.  You should have another outlet that leads to your pond outlet.  Turn your breaker off, open the outlet that leads to your pond outlet, disconnect the wires that lead to the pond.  After disconnecting the wires that lead to the pond outlet, your lead outlet should work.  If not, all the wires are corroded and you can call an electrician.
Alfonso

Offline emm

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 04:05:17 PM »
Thank you all. 

kc8pny - Thanks for your offer to help if you lived closer.  We are so short of trades people that a small job like this will not be a priority for any electrician around here.  I will try to persuade someone to come though because I don't like working around electricity and don't know what I'm doing.
If you have a voltmeter...
  I first read that as "if you have a VOLUNTEER..."  :o  Okay so it really said voltmeter.  I don't have one but I can probably borrow one from a neighbour.  That's a good place to start.

Annette - these are supposed to be GFCI outlets and were installed by a qualified electrician when he wired our new addition.  I sure hope they are but I'll be inquiring!

Missa - I can't find the GFCI.  I looked between the panel and where the wires go through the foundation in the basement and didn't see anything.  Don't know exactly what I'm looking for though but they all looked like just plain wires leaving the control panel.

landey1230 - thanks for your thoughts.  That makes sense to me.

emm

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 04:12:32 PM »
A GFCI looks like this .... they make them with just the buttons, no outlets or switches as well.

Unless he didn't put one in anywhere.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 04:20:23 PM »
Emm,

I assume that since you indicated that the circuits are "ground-fault" and since there are no reset buttons on the receptacles, that it is the circuit breaker in the power distribution box that is a GFCI breaker. [This type of breaker will have an extra white wire coming out of it going to the neutral bar.] While some codes may require that kind of protection, generally you are better off with GFCI receptacles at each location needing protection.  One reason is that the circuit breaker type of GFCI is prone to "overtripping" and often fail completely.  Another big reason is that a problem with one GFCI receptacle will only cost you $10 and you can fix it yourself, but circuit breaker box GFCI's are $60 to $100, plus, if you are not capable of replacing it yourself, you have the additional cost of an electrician.  My advice: replace all your outdoor receptacles with GFCI receptacles and replace the GFCI circuit breaker in your distribution box with an ordinary circuit breaker (Assuming this would not be against local code.)

Here's another tip: for ANY outdoor receptacle that will be used in any manner not temporary, you MUST have a weatherproof receptacle cover such as the Carlon products.  That is USA NEC. I bet the same applies in Canada.

Here is a picture of what one looks like in use:

PS a circuit breaker type GFCI will look like one of these: http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-340-circuit-breakers-gfci.aspx

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »
Rat chewed through a wire somewhere?

Offline emm

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
Thank you John for your very clear reply complete with links and photos, they're a great help.  I will look in the panel to see what the circuit breaker for the outdoor outlets looks like.

I don't remember having seen a truly weather-proof cover on anyone's outdoor receptacles.  I am going to look into that because it makes complete sense, I've often wondered about the other set-up.  It didn't seem particularly water proof to me.  Thank you very much for that tip.

If I can manage to get an electrician to come over I will be asking about the points you've raised.  I've called 4 electricians this morning and all are too booked to even consider trying to fit me in.  I'll keep trying.

Julles - I most certainly hope it is not a rat or a squirrel but it's not impossible.  The wire conduit for the pond outlet is in a 2 foot deep trench that runs from the corner of the house to the outlet.

Fortunately it is not warm here yet and my fish load is very low so nothing is really suffering because of a lack of circulation.

emm

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 10:06:02 AM »
Here are my Outside outlets.

First set is outlets/GFCI outlet,plus on/off switch(for entire bank of outlets), Second set is regular outlet/ sensor for day/night on top which controls the last 3 sets(for lighting).   So I have a total of 5 plugs for pumps and 6 for lighting.

It also hides behind my Papyrus that is on that corner, which is good as the cords hide in the back of the Papyrus.

Lori TX

Offline emm

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
Thanks Lori.  I really like the look of those.  I'm going to be looking to see what is available here.  So far I've had no luck with persuading an electrician to visit.  We may have to give it a go ourselves.  I'm the kind of electrician who turns the power off to the entire house before changing a light fixture.  ::)  I like the conveniences provided by electricity but I sure don't like to work with it.   emm

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 12:38:13 PM »
I am just lucky that DH knows what he is doing???  Most of the time anyway!!!  But I am also a "Turn off the entire house to change anything other than a lightbulb"!!!  Its nice to have the on/off switch out there, especialy when working on the pumps or moving lighting arround.

All parts can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.  Print off the photo and take it with you and they should have all the parts. Make sure you tell them its for outdoors, these seal pretty good, the cords come out the bottom when the lid is closed.  The light sensor is found by the outdoor lighting stuff.

The light sensor works really well. You can get 2 types, one that stays on when dark and one that runs for 4-5 hours and shuts off.  I really dont use the lighting much, only when enjoying an evening outside. As it gets too warm here in TX and I dont want to cook the fish with the lighting on alot.

Lori TX

Offline emm

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 06:10:19 PM »
I stopped in at Canadian Tire on the way home tonight.  I saw a receptacle that looks very much like the one in John's photo.  I'm going to look into these a little further and see if I can figure out how to do it or ask my neighbour for his help.  I need to find out where our GFCI circuit breaker is first though.  Haven't had much time this week.  Thanks again for your help.  emm

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »
You're also supposed to run the wire through conduit (PVC pipe).

When I ran wiring from my outlet to the yard, to set up an outdoor box with 4 plug places, I think I just laid the wire along the ground.  It's covered by a deck, but rats and water and the like can get to it.  I'm just waiting for someone to chew through it, and then I'll loose power to everything out there. 

Luckily, I now have two pumps, and each is hooked up to a different electrical box, on different circuits.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"