Author Topic: My fish are prudes  (Read 932 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My fish are prudes
« on: April 17, 2008, 09:34:11 AM »
I've had a pond for about 6-7 years now and two of the 9-10 Koi were purchased at the very beginning. Is there a chance I have all males or all females? They haven't ever seemed to spawn or have babies. When I had fantails and Wakin and goldfish, I had babies but never the Koi.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My fish are prudes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:37:31 AM »
I have the same experience Esther.  I think my koi are all male.  But they do not join the chase when the Shubs and Wakins and Goldies are doing the Spring fling-thing.  :D

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 10:09:08 AM »
It is more likely that they eat all of the eggs & babies. Koi start later in life than goldies usually, I have one koi that started at one year but for the most part they do not start spawning until 3 or older.   And a female becomes very fat with eggs so you should notice, if you do have all boys consider yourself lucky, spawning is messy.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 08:06:40 PM »
My older 3 koi I've had for about 5 years and the younger 2 about 3 and 4 years.  I've watched them every year, no playing.  I've watched for growing bellies, no go.  Either they are boys or something in the water not to their liking.  I have 4 wakins, only one is male, but the many other shubs are mostly males and the many goldies, only 2 females. 

Having more koi is not what I'm wishing for anymore.  I feel so sorry for the few females in my pond  :(

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 07:14:50 AM »
I hae a lot of koi, but only 3 (now only 2, 'cause one jumped out and died) are females.  I guess I just like the colors on the males.  So, it is possible to end up with all the same sex.

If yours were spawning, I doubt you'd miss it... they get so fat for the days prior, and spawning takes about the entire day, you would surely notice SOMEthing was up.  Sounds like you simply have all the same sex.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 07:35:56 AM »
Yup, I certainly noticed it when the goldfish, fantails, and Wakins were spawning. The Koi have never much joined in. I only have Koi left as I have either had the others taken by the heron or I gave the rest away. Almost all the Koi are well over 3 years.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"