Author Topic: Weird Leak - Coulda Drained My Pond  (Read 978 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Weird Leak - Coulda Drained My Pond
« on: April 15, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »

Since my new pond is long and skinny, and it's a pain to walk all the way around it, I've laid a board across it, so you simply walk over the "bridge" to the other side.  You all will get a chance to see that, once I figure out how to post pictures.

Well, the other day, I had the board a little too close to the waterfall.  Small amounts of water splashed onto the board.  Since the ground is not level, one end of the board is lower than the other.  Meaning, water was able to run down the length of the board and out onto the ground. 

Luckily, when I came out in the morning, I noticed the "wet spot"  {:-P;; and realized how that board was siphoning water slooowly out of the pond.  I moved it away from the waterfall, and all is well.  Only about 5-10 gallons had gotten away.

Lesson:  Water can seep out in weird ways.

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Leak - Coulda Drained My Pond
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 07:38:36 PM »
Julles, Glad you have found your leak. Water can get out of our ponds in weird ways. Would love to see pictures of your pond. I had trouble at first posting pictures but there is an excellent tutorial on posting pictures in the tutorial section. Give it a try.  O0
http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1444.0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 07:44:40 PM »
This it the truth!  Our new waterfall for example.  I had that pre-filter on the pump, the foamy one that clogs up in about 15 minutes after you put it in the pond.  It wasclogged up, so I took off the foam and came back upstairs to look for plans to make a different prefilter.  When I went back out, the water level was ever-so-slightly lower.  I checked it in another hour or so...yup.  Lower.  I started poking around in the rocks in the waterfall.  Apparently when I took off the pre-filter I increased the water pressure just enough for one of the sprays to squirt beneath the rocks and out of the range of the liner beneath the waterfall.  So yeah...definitely something to watch!!!!

So tomorrow I have to rearrange rocks and stuff....and add more water to the pond.

I'd love to see pics of your pond!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 04:23:57 AM »
Wrong lesson learned!!!!!!!!!! Or incomplete lesson. HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU??? Do I sound like your mother? Where is your security feature on your pond? Look at the potential for fish loss. Those who have to buy your water, look at the cost of the water lost. Look at the potential for pump burnup when your pond level gets too low. Think it can't happen to you? In 6 years of ponding, I've had at least 3 near disasters. But I've always had a pump with a built in shut off float and there have been no disasters. Yes the pumps with a float cost more than those without floats but it has paid for itself over and over. Right now I have a leach/leak in the sides of the waterfall and sure enough, DH was adding water to the pond when I got up. Said the pump was off when he got up. So anyway, there are floats that can be connected to your pump that will protect it from a low water problem. And there are floats that add water when it gets down below a certain point.

There was a windy day and a plastic shopping bag blew in the pond. The pull of the intake pulled the bag over the intake of the skimmer and blocked the water enough that the pump shut down. Another time I had put some filter media in a basket where the water enters the waterfall in the Skippy. The media got clogged and was blocking the exit so the Skippy filled up and was running over. DH discovered it when he got up in the morning. There's just two examples and every spring and summer I read several stories of near disasters or disasters that occur when there's no security on ponds.

Anyway, Julles and Ruthie, now that my rant is over, glad your problems had such a simple fix.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 04:29:51 AM by Esther »

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 06:05:05 PM »
Esther...I have been looking for this, actually.  But the only shut off equipment I have seen is a float that goes in the skimmer.  I don't have a skimmer though.  Are there floats work independant of a skimmer?  (I've been googling and still found nothing.  I must be looking in the wrong places.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:23:02 PM by Ruthie »

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 06:57:02 PM »
Well said Esther!  :2thumbs: Ruthie. The ones you buy separet and plug your pump into only need to be secured to a pvc pip and attached to tour pump with a strap or 100 mph tape. Trust me it's well worth the effort to do it.Like Esther said it has saved my pump more than once.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:49:03 AM »
Ruthie, you just have to know what to call 'em. I stumbled around a bit before I found it at Drs. Foster and Smith. I don't buy much from them but sometimes they're the only place I can find what I'm looking for. Here's a page for both the refill float and the shut off switch. Scroll down for the second one.  http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5607&rel=1

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 11:56:43 AM »
ok...this is the one I saw.  Thank you!  And it works by being attached to a length of PVC?  I am trying to visualize the way I need to set it up...it is connceted to the pump?  By any chance does anyone have photos of theirs in use in the pond? 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"