Author Topic: Keeping track of lilies  (Read 1100 times)

Offline suzy-q

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Keeping track of lilies
« on: May 15, 2008, 06:17:42 AM »
Okay - all you experienced Ponders - how the heck do you keep your lilies labeled?  :D Each year I try something new, and after a year or two - the tag is unreadable.  :( Then when I have to divide - I can't tell what is what.  >:(-

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping track of lilies
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 06:58:14 AM »
Put a label in the bottom of your pot and put dirt on top of it. That way if you loose your other tag, you still have a back up when you go to repot.

Offline lucas.alderson469

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:22:31 AM »
I have always used mini-blind blades cut to 8 inches long.  I write the name of the lily on the top of the "tag" on one side and at the bottom on the other so one is always under the dirt and will resist fading.  The key to making sure the name will stay on the label is to use a Wishy-Washy Sharpie laundry marker.  In my experience, these work much better than a regular Sharpies...  Most likely because they are formulated to withstand being washed in a washer.  Hope this has helped some!  Oh, and I always put two tags per pot.  In case one gets lost, the other will hopefully still be there...

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:59:28 AM »
Put a label in the bottom of your pot and put dirt on top of it. That way if you loose your other tag, you still have a back up when you go to repot.
Ditto--another thing I do it is cut the mini blind long enough that I can bend it onto the bottom of the pot and still have it long enough to read the name sticking out of the pot...write the name of the lily on both ends...bend it...so that the label is shaped as an L going up on side of the pot...put in dirt, lily, gravel....the koi can't pull out the label...and if the top part becomes unreadable the bottom will not...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"