Author Topic: Orchids in bloom today  (Read 1618 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Orchids in bloom today
« on: April 24, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »
Spring time is busy bloom time.  Here are a few pretty orchids that survived winter outdoors (plus lazy gardener) and are blooming now.  I lost all the tags and can't remember what each orchid is until it blooms  :D

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Orchids in bloom today
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:13:02 AM »
 8-)~ 8-)~ 8-)~ 8-)~ 8-)~ 8-)~ 8-)~
I just LOVE Brassias!  o(:-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »
Wow ... you've got a green thumbs especially if you say these were neglected  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 11:41:28 AM »
Sorry Kat, if I take good care of any plant it's sure to die.  If I leave them alone, they survive.  :D

One more orchid I'm not sure of it's name.

Offline sushi

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 02:34:24 AM »
Those are awesome!  I'm starting to get into orchids.  DH bought me one for valentines last year and I'm slowly adding to that one.  I've never seen pretty ones like that around here.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 08:54:30 AM »
There are so many I see in stores around here I have to keep my hands in my pockets to keep from picking up more.  They require the most work of all my plants.  I have to move them around in the yard to keep them in the shade and still keep them in view.  I try to make an arrangement for the ones in bloom.  ;)

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 05:48:12 PM »
That last one you posted is an "epidendrum" orchid - probably the easiest of all orchids.  When I lived in California I grew those in the ground as well as in pots and shared them with anyone who asked.  Taking a cutting of an epi is so easy - just cut below where you see roots on the stalk, stick it in dirt or bark and, voila - new plant.  The most commonly seen color is red or orange; they also come in yellow, white, purple and pink.  For some reason you don't see them in nurseries very often - I found them at orchid club exchanges.  Most of mine came from cuttings from my grandmother. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 06:28:51 PM »
Thanks Lynda!  I've have this epidendrum all over my back yard and in pots in red, orange and yellow.  All of them are from the original 3 pots of colors I collected.  They're sold many places here.  I got mine at Trader Joe's.

Do you know how to plant the seeds in the seed pods?

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 09:24:13 PM »
Annette,

They are very pretty!  I have been looking at them everytime I go to Lowe's, Home Depot, and Walmart.  I want to try one so bad, but seem a little spendy and I am afraid I would kill it.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »
I admire people who can grow orchids.  I've killed so many that I get nervous every time I walk into a post office for fear I'll be on the ten-most-wanted..........

I have a few reed orchids in the ground and they do "okay" and a couple of other orchids outside in pots and they also do "okay" but I can't grown anything fancy....  When I walk into Trader Joes and see the orchids, I swear I can here them whispering, "Oh no, he's back!"
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 08:39:55 AM »
Try Phalenopsis orchids, they are cheap and easy. I'm not into fussing with plants. I just stick them on the kitchen windowsill which faces north and they bloom. I have not fertilized or transplanted them, just occasional water. I bought Bob one at Trader Joe's in Nov 06 and it is still blooming from the same bloom stalk as it had then.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »
I love Orchids, but never tried to grow one.  All are beautiful. The last one doesn't even look like an orchid...but still VERY COOL looking!!! Love it!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"