Author Topic: Snakes in the pond  (Read 2566 times)

Offline gulfcoastgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Snakes in the pond
« on: April 25, 2008, 09:38:44 PM »
Last fall we bought a house with a 17 x 24 koi pond it's about 3.5 ft deep.  We thought the pond had a mud bottom which made it difficult to see our frequent visitors, snakes.  We spent two days in the pond doing a spring clean that revealed a rock bottom it was just buried under 12" of sludge  :o While we were sitting back admiring our beautiful pond as the sun was setting a snake pokes his head out and swims across the pond   :-\  Now normally I'm a live and let live person but these snakes are poisonous: water moccasin and copper head.... when it comes to the safety of my two boys its move on snake or face the shovel  >:(-  I'm a little scared to get out there and start separating my plants do I also have to worry about the snakes eating my fish?  I've heard you can put moth balls around the perimeter of your yard and because they do not care for the fumes they will avoid the area.  My thought of course is other wild life eating the moth balls and dying but I could put them in the cloth laundry bags. Has anyone every tried this? Does it work?

Thanks,
Nikki

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Snakes in the pond
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 08:05:52 AM »
I sure hope someone knows if that is effective.. I have a huge snake problem to the point that I dont even have any frogs anymore.  I killed a bunch last year.  Would rather find some way to just distract them from my property . I think they love the big rocks up around myfalls.  Would hate to have to take them out but I am afriad to work in my garden also and let me daughter out there alone.

I have never had a problem with them eating my fish but frogs are high on their list in my pond. see picture

tinkster

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:08:40 AM »
whether they are poisonous or not---I'm sure with young children you don't want them to make themselves at home....I heard lots of people say they net the pond and the snakes will get caught up on the nets and then can be re homed else where.....There are lots of old wives tales out there---not sure any of them really work....I've learned along time ago not to sweat the small ones and I don't bother the big ones unless they have tried to make themselves tooo comfy and at home and eating my babies.....of course I don't have kids....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 09:16:22 AM »
My husband is afraid of snakes. Well of course we have way too many. He killed 26 in 2 years not counting the ones that got away. I do not like killing things but I don't want 50 snakes in my yard either. I whish he could catch and let them go in the woods, but that will never happen.

Offline Double S

• Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 09:46:50 AM »
My DS is a HUGE reptile lover. I don't mind them either...actually love some reptiles too, but snakes are not at the top of the list.  So killing isn't an option for us. Not when he's around that is.

Anyway -- the snakes here, I have SEEN eat my fish!!!  I got 3 koi last year, 2 longfins and a beautiful blue and yellow one. Very unusual.....just a  pond mutt, but was the prettiest I've seen.  Just a few days after we got them....I saw a snake eat my new blue/yellow koi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I was MAD!  But catching them is really hard when they are in the water.  Even DS can't catch them.  But he can catch black snakes and garters all day long.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »
Depends on the snake. Do you have a positive id?

Water Moccasins are one of the few snakes that gets hot and chases humans. Most of the others will run away as soon as they see you. If you have kids, I would kill or relocate them for sure.
Copperheads are almost invisible unless you are careful. The problem is accidentally stepping on them.

I encourage an assortment of snakes around the pond because I prefer to hear the occasional slither, than to step on hundreds of baby toads everytime I'm working around the garden. Most of them are the striped garden snakes, but I have a few big rat snakes too.
In my experience, the snake population is self limiting - only a certain number will tolerate each other's company.

And last year, we had a speckled king snake show up.  @O@  They eat other snakes.

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 10:20:11 AM »
We had a huge snake problem last year.  We live in the middle of the swamp and I put the pond in a place that the snakes had been inhabiting for years.  Finally, I netted the pond with a fine mesh net.  I actually have two nets...the one on the above ground pond had 1/2 inch or maybe 3/4 inch mesh.  The one on the in ground pond has 1/4 inch mesh.  The snakes would slither on top, but could not get through.  I would then catch them with a skimmer net...they would try to dive, but the net would stop them...and then I would relocate them.   They do eat  fish (they ate several of mine) and they chase the frogs away.  

Of course, I never had copperheads or moccasins in the pond.  We have lots of those bad boys around (all of my dogs have been bitten by moccasins, and thankfully, recovered) but usually hubby dispatches them with a shovel or a shotgun if they are near the house.    Mostly near the pond I get mud snakes, water snakes, king snakes (I moved those to my veggie garden...they are welcome there) and garter snakes  (I just leave those alone.)

The good thing about snakes is that they really are more afraid of us then we are of them.  One way that we have battled the snakes this year is to make sure they had no place that was a welcoming habitat for them around the pond.  Before, the back of the garden was an overgrown cattle pen (we used to have cows when I was a kid) and so no matter how many I removed, more seemed to invade.  This year, the area is all garden or mowed and tilled.  I have only seen one snake.  I caught him trying to eat the eggs out of the mockingbird nest, so I caught him and took him to the bayou.   I hope our luck continues.  

These are from last year.  I was catching snakes every single day for a while.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 09:56:38 PM »
 You could try one of the products here:
http://www.provenrepellents.com/products.php?catID=9

Offline gulfcoastgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 06:30:04 AM »
Thank you all for responding. Ruthie - those pictures of you holding the snakes.... WOW that's just not me. If I netted the pond and snakes got caught in it I'd have to keep calling some one to get them out, but at least I'd know where they were. I've read mixed reviews on all the remedies so I don't know if any one thing works. I have not lost any fish yet I think the snake is feasting on tree frogs. Right now I try to make a lot of noise and use a hoe to lift any rocks in hopes they will slither away from where I'm working.

Offline kc8pny

• Members
  • With us since: 08/04/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 07:03:40 AM »
Snakes are the DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am glad Johns posted that info, I am ordering some to sprinkle all around my yard.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 06:19:11 AM »
I loved Johns' link, too.  I'm gonna order something, and maybe I can FINALLY keep the neighbors' @(#&*!! cats out of my yard.  Yesterday, I found cat poop right next to my turtles' feeding station.

Offline models916

• Members
  • With us since: 22/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 07:14:51 AM »
Get yourself an Eagle. They eat snakes.

Offline gulfcoastgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 07:47:26 AM »
Yes, Thank you Johns! The link is very helpful I plan on making a purchase and I'm sure it will be much cheaper and safer than purchasing an eagle, lol!

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »
Wow, no snakes here yet.  Although last year we had a small garter snake next to the pond, tussling with a leopard frog.  I guess they called it a draw, both slithered/hopped away after a few moments.

Julles, was the poop buried under dirt/mulch?  Cats are very careful to bury their poop.  Other animals will just leave it lying around wherever the urge took them.   :P

Offline gulfcoastgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 05:14:54 PM »
I'm happy to report I worked up enough courage to work on my pond yesterday and today!  :) I'll post pictures tonight after dinner.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 07:17:42 PM »
I'm afraid if I found snakes in my pond that would be the end of it for me. I am just to fearful of them. I don't think the rattlers or Bull snakes swim but it wouldn't matter if it were even a garder snake. With no DDH around I just couldn't deal with them.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline gulfcoastgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 09:01:11 PM »
I used garden tools to lift the rocks, just in case   ;) So many projects to finish before it gets too hot!

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 03:43:01 PM »
The pond look great! The water is so clear!

Where would one purchase an eagle i wonder? ;D
Kathy

Offline gulfcoastgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »
Thanks Kathy! The water is still clear but now I have sick fish!! Doing the spring clean stressed them  :( they have a white/gray coating all over their bodies. Not sure what it is.....I have three bio filters so  I know they are getting enough oxygen.... I have 9200 gph pond so catching them is almost impossible They are very lethargic and tend to drift on their side, they also float down to the bottom of the pond and lie on the rocks... the water tested fine even double checked myself by taking it to the pond store and had them check it. The pond store said it sounded like bacteria and recommended Melafix.  I'm really hoping I don't lose any.... :'(

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 05:15:25 PM »
Wow, that's scary, Gulf Coast.  I hope they recover.

We had a similar post here, from a gal who moved a pond and fish from another location, and immediately thereafter, she did loose a lot of fish.  Stress is what it probably was.

I hope yours come out OK.

Offline gulfcoastgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 05:10:29 AM »
Thanks Julles! I checked on them this morning most of them are swimming better not resting on their side but still have the gray/white patches. Two don't seem any better a junior koi and a coment. I plan on treating the pond daily for seven days with the Melafix but if this doesn't get rid of the patches I will have to try something else.  I wish I could catch one to scrape and scope.

Offline Cypress Point Pond

• Members
  • With us since: 04/11/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 05:31:00 AM »
Although I grew up learning about all creatures great and small in the stunningly beautiful deep country and swamp lands of South Alabama I HATE snakes!  I don't even like the word snake.  Admittedly, snakes have an important place in the eco system I am of the belief that a family garden pond is no place for snakes.  Lowes sells Dr. J's Snake-A-Way so pop over and pick some up.  Here is like to the Lowes web site so you can read more about the product.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=28928-1321-364

Here in North Texas we have snakes but not to the extend that are found in the beautiful southern states.

louisp

PS.  GulfCoastGirl, my wife is from St. Landry Parish.

Louisp

Offline gulfcoastgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 08:26:54 PM »
Thanks Louisp. I'm here in the panhandle of FL. My house is built on an old peanut farm. We get snakes all the time I'm just not warming up to it.

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 09:00:54 AM »
Eeeek- I don't like snakes.... :no:  Thankfully that is one problem I don't have, and hope I never do!  Your pond is stunning though!  I hope your fish are okay, and you don't lose any! 
Joey

Offline gulfcoastgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 11:42:45 AM »
Thank you Joeyb5980, unfortunately the two fish that did not seem any better died last night.  :'( Today one of my larger koi is starting to sit at the bottom of the pond. The other fish still have the white patches but are no longer drifting to the side. 

Offline gulfcoastgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 10:38:50 AM »
My larger koi and a gold fish died yesterday and thats a total of 4  :( Today the remaining fish are doing fine  o( Wether its the truth or not I'm sure it was the snakes fault..  lol

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 10:52:05 AM »
Hate it that you lost more fish, but glad the rest seem okay.  Hopefully you won't lose any more.  Yep, blame the snake  ;)
Joey

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 04:22:25 PM »
Beautiful pond, Gulfcoastgirl!  Sorry you're losing fish from stress.  Guess they don't like the snake either. 

I hope we don't have snakes near my suburban pond.  Watching snakes behind glass or on TV is fabulous but in person right in front of me, forget it!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"