Author Topic: Tonight I loaded my basket  (Read 941 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tonight I loaded my basket
« on: May 08, 2008, 06:45:51 PM »
with 9 dozen cookies and some fingertip towels. I went door to door asking for donations for Make a Wish. AAAAAAAAAAAAND I went to 12 houses. I told them I'd give them cookies or a fingertip towel made to order if they gave a donation. If they would have given me a dollar, I would have given them like I said. Anyway, no one was home at 5 and out of the 7 that were home, I collected $85. Plus two said they'd like to give and would do it over the internet. The one guy has a little girl about 2 and I think it hit home for him, how devastating it would be for him if something like this hit his child. Besides he was in school with Pete's son Ken so we made a connection. I am so excited. Also, I left some cookies off at my dentist's office and the hygienist and the dentist said they wanted to give and would put the brochure I had made in the lunch room.

There has been $100 collected from a pond forum friend too. That about blew me away. Truly amazing.

Another lady in this neighborhood asked me if I wanted to do a garage sale, which I didn't, but I offered to sit with her sale when she couldn't be there. Then I got the idea of making up brownies, dinner rolls, and cookies to sell and the proceeds would go to Make A Wish. So that will be fun too.

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight I loaded my basket
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »
Good for you, Esther.
Years ago my daughter and I made baked goods and pins for a church sale. The church made more from our home made items than anything else. We had to race home and make up some more. Good luck to you.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:35:07 PM »
Thats wonderful! I hope more continue to give!

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:37:31 PM »
Walmart always lets people set things up.  Maybe contact them and you would be able to set up a table on their sidewalk.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 05:54:56 PM »
AAAAAAND, I'm ashamed of myself. There is a family down the street that when they moved in about 7-8 years ago, they had a pool put in. Something was wrong and the wife came down here because we have a pool to ask Pete if he would help them out getting it going. So we both go down there and work on it. All the time we were working, there was no sign of a husband, yet just as we were leaving, he wanders in to the garage where the equipment was and made some offhand comment that he'd been on the phone. So we leave and Pete won't ask for money and the husband doesn't offer any. Later though we got a GC to a local restaruant from the wife. Also found out later that the husband is a doctor.

So last night when I went to that house, the same guy comes to the door with an ornery look (probably the same look I have when people are asking for money) he holds the storm door open just about wide enough for me to talk through and says some offhand thing about "giving at the office" so I jam the brochure through the crack and sweetly mention that if he wants to donate later, the website address is on the bottom. I leave snarling in my head because I remember I didn't like him from before either.

Tonight, Smokey goes barking to the door. I didn't even hear the doorbell. Guess who was there with a check in his hand. He did a nice donation too and wouldn't even take the cookies. So now I have collected $110 from 12 houses. That's pretty good I think. My goal was $175 so whatever I collect over that I'll list on Pete's list.

Speaking of Pete. I sent two packages of cookies to work and had made up a giving envelope for him with brochures and a pen, figuring he could at least hit on his boss and one other person he would meet today. Tonight he comes home and he doesn't bring any cookie packages in, so I ask him how his collecting went today. Says he has one package left. So I assume he got a donation. Good for you Pete!!! Turns out his work partner and he ate most of one package and his partner probably didn't even make the connection when Pete told him what I was doing that Pete wanted a donation. LOL. I asked Pete if he told him he wanted a donation. "UM, maybe not."

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"