Author Topic: 30 Minute Meals?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
30 Minute Meals?
« on: May 10, 2008, 06:37:50 PM »
Over the last few years I've started taking cooking more seriously.  I've gone to some classes, learned 'knife skills', subscribed to lots of magazines and upgraded my cooking equipment.  So why can't I cook a 30 minute meal in 30 minutes?  I'm beginning to wonder about the time estimates on these recipes.  Does anyone else have trouble fixing a meal in the time it's supposed to take?
Jim

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: 30 Minute Meals?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 07:07:20 PM »
  I'm not sure what you want to cook in 30 min or less, but most meals I make are 30 min prep or less. The cooking time may be another 30 min, but all I have to do is set the timer on the oven or toss the hubby outside to do the grilling! LOL
  I enjoy using fresh herbs and veges with most of my meals. I pick fresh herbs and mix and match them for grilling (spring and summer) and broiling/GF grilling (fall and winter)
  You might want to look into the reluctant gourmet cooking forum
  http://reluctantgourmet.com/forum/  and look into those kind of meals, or ask about them.
  The people there are just as wonderful as the people here!
    Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 06:08:03 AM »
I think that after you have some practice and dicing and cutting becomes second nature, you'll find it takes less time. Also as you learn and practice, you'll learn shortcuts that will speed things up.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 06:19:46 AM »
Well first of all, I love watching Rachael make those 30 min meals. o(:-) o(:-)
and I do make variations of some of them, and NEVER worry about how long it takes. I have a cocktail while cooking and relax and get very creative. I have discoverd that it always takes me longer to do things, so I quit worrying about it years ago.
I think that the 30 min meal thing is just to show that it doesn't have to take forever to make something. And some very simple meals are easy and very good.

Have fun,
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 11:53:35 AM »
I love cooking and have been at for close to 30 years.  You need to be organized and experience helps.  Simply know what you want to make, be prepared and don't get worked up over small stuff.  I like dishes that only require throwing everything into one pot.  Slow cooked and the aroma in the house is inviting.  30 minutes dinners involve simple but nutritious dinners.  That's my style!
Stir fry is another fav.  Slice and dice, simple.  Use high heat if your attentive or less heat if you're busy with other dishes to prevent burning.  Best advice?  I keep my husband out of the kitchen, he also loves to cook.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 08:59:25 PM »
Well first of all, I love watching Rachael make those 30 min meals. o(:-) o(:-)
and I do make variations of some of them, and NEVER worry about how long it takes. I have a cocktail while cooking and relax and get very creative. I have discoverd that it always takes me longer to do things, so I quit worrying about it years ago.
I think that the 30 min meal thing is just to show that it doesn't have to take forever to make something. And some very simple meals are easy and very good.

Have fun,
Steve

Steve, I hate Rachael whatever, her voice is just intolerable.  Although ;D I love to have a cocktail while cooking. In fact, I'm having one now.  ;)  Rachael should have a few more...  {:-P;; Maybe it will tone down that shrill voice.

Step one: Sprinkle some Montreal Steak Seasoning on the big steak. Maybe rub it in with some "Was dis here sauce".  Step two: grill steak. Step three: Let the grilled steak rest for a few minutes. Step four: Serve with salad. A sprig of parsley will do.

Step five: Dinner is done! Serve with a nice Cabernet... :) Half an hour, dude!  :) All ya need is steak.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
I think my knife skills are pretty good but I find the prep work is often understated.  And for me it's not just chopping/slicing/dicing that is prep.  Washing the veggies, getting out the pots and pans, honing the knife.  (Washing mixed salad greens can take a while.)  It all adds up.  I generally do as you Steve and Karen and take as long as it takes, enjoying an adult beverage all along the way.  (Wonder if that could be part of the problem.    :thinking: :teehee: )  But I have also become very committed to making everything from scratch.  No prepared foods for me.  :)  And I have been tending to make meals with a full compliment of sides.  A starch, veggie, salad, etc.

BTW, I'm not really referring to Rachel Rae here.  I realize she has a show about 30 minute meals but I don't watch her either.  She is to frenetic for me.  I received a complimentary copy of Cook's Country and it had a bunch of recipes that were supposed to take 30 minutes and they all seemed over ambitious to me.
Jim

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"