Author Topic: Anyone want a blue wakin?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Anyone want a blue wakin?
« on: June 12, 2008, 11:27:56 AM »
Jim

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want a blue wakin?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »
I saw that but I don't like the olive patches on it. I think it would rather fade into the pond liner because of the color. The blue/black one is kind of pretty though. I just ordered a pair of Tosakins and a pretty calico mostly blue Oranda for that amount of money. Sure wish I'd gotten to that black Oranda he had first. That is one beautiful fish.
Kay
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:06:30 PM by Kay »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 05:04:36 PM »
 :o :o :o  Starting Bid = $100 !!?!!  Holy Shimokes!  Can't afford to feed 10 cent feeders to my turtles.....

I have great appreciation for ponders who take the chance on $$$ fish!

Offline Sonny

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
I think it's a special fish.   O0  I've dreamed of having a fish like that ever since I saw a big, beautiful blue wakin a few years ago.  From what I've heard, the coloration is very rare.

I'm pretty sure it will find a good home.   ::)
Jim

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 06:12:55 PM »
I started with goldfish. King Richard I was with me for all of college and graduate school. He was solid "red" - which is orange.
Then I learned about koi, and pursued that art for nearly thirty years.

So now, my appreciation for goldfish is heavily influenced by my appreciation of koi. I have a hard time with the goldfish that are not bilaterally symmetrical - and most of them are not. And I have a hard time with wakins - which look like common carp to me. :(

I'm going to have to rethink it.

King Richard II, and Friday - my current orandas - are both from Tommy.
But I gotta warn anyone in the field - expensive goldfish die just as easily as cheap ones.  :(

Offline Sonny

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
Sunbeam... I understand where you're coming from.  A good Wakin is hard to find.  I've got a half dozen or so and there is only one that I think is really good looking.  Their symmetry is probably more difficult to attain (compared to koi) due to the split tail.  But here's a picture of Darlene's original blue Wakin that caused my heart to flutter.  It's hard to discern the symmetry but its color and conformation are impressive.

Jim

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:55:28 PM »
[So now, my appreciation for goldfish is heavily influenced by my appreciation of koi. I have a hard time with the goldfish that are not bilaterally symmetrical - and most of them are not. And I have a hard time with wakins - which look like common carp to me. :(

For me conformation and symmetry are outweighed by the wakins personality and the way they move through the water, but yes they do remind me of common carp with personality and pretty markings.
      Sonny,
         I think the blue color on Darlene's fish was enhanced. Every other blue wakin I've seen are more like the one Tommy has listed and they have had the olive patches. Darlene's fish were fed only the best and fed frequently from what I have read in the past on other forums. Those fish had some serious size on them and were spoiled rotten.  ;D
Kay

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:59:44 PM »
with the goldfish that are not bilaterally symmetrical

OK, I know very little about koi so that's a start.  I was confused by your use of bilateral symmetry above and in saying that koi are and some goldfish aren't.  I even went and looked it up just in case I was missing some part of the definition.  So, as far as I know almost all fish are considered bilaterally symmetrical in that they have a spine and a meaningful left and right side that are fairly identical.  With Koi, the pictures I see show spots and such on one side or the other so I don't see symmetry.  In fact, I see the same markings on some Wakin and other goldfish.  If I look at shape, it seems that they both have a fairly even set of fins and such divided by a backbone.  So, what exactly is it you mean?  Is it some Koi specific definition or commonly used phrase in koi-dom? 

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 08:02:35 PM »
I don't know the people involved at all but I have a really hard time thinking that really blue wakin isn't photoshopped or somehow altered.........
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"