Author Topic: Clogged Bottom Drain.... Photos Added. Problem Fixed!  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Clogged Bottom Drain.... Photos Added. Problem Fixed!
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »
This afternoon we returned home from a very pleasant 7-day cruise to the Mexican Riviera only to learn that the bottom drain to the pond was apparently clogged, probably with hornwort, and our son had turned off the pump when he was unable to clear the clog.  I have a Tetra bottom drain with a large mushroom shaped cap over the drain.  I've been struggling with green water and could not see the bottom.  I took a pole and fished around near the drain and pulled out quite a bit of hornwort.  I turned on the pump and there still wasn't any water flow.  I poked around again with the pole and realized I had dislodged the mushroom cap.  So I donned a swimsuit and took a dive.....  The drain is at the 3' depth and it was too deep for me to work on without going all the way under.... >:(-  I quickly learned why divers wear weight belts as it was very difficult staying on the bottom.  To make matters worse, I was working blind because my eyes were closed because of the pea-soup water....  I cleared out some more hornwort and then with great difficulty managed to line up the three posts/holes that hold the mushroom cap to the drain.  After I got out I again turned on the pump and again there was no water flow....  >:(-

I'm now looking at my apparent options:
1. Run a sewer snake down the bottom drain and hope to snag the hornwort
2. Lower the water level about 8" and attack it from the leaf basket area in my pump vault by wrapping a rag around a garden hose to make a snug fit and then shoving a hose into the hole, turning on the water and attempt to back-flush the blockage back up the bottom drain.  I'll need to purchase a small pump to lower the water because I don't think a siphon will work.

Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:31:48 PM by Mikey »
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
Re: Clogged Bottom Drain.... Suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:43:16 PM »
Mike, is your bottom drain aerated? If so, when you turn on the air pump, do bubbles come up, or is that clogged as well? Regardless, could you blow some air through the inlet of the leaf basket back through the bottom drain, either via a air compressor or a shop vac on blow. The snake sounds like a good idea as well, could you disconnect your current pump, and temporarily hook it up with some spare pvc and use that to pump out some of your water?

Greg

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:58:45 PM »
Greg: Thanks for the suggestions.  The drain is not aerated.  I also thought about using air and thought I would try the hose first. 

Actually, I like the shop vac suggestion even better because if it works I won't have to go diving again to replace the mushroom cap over the drain.  My leaf basket is several inches below the water level of my pond (I know, bad move...) but I have a ball valve that I can use to stop the flow of water once the line clears.

Offline karen J

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 09:35:04 PM »
I was also thinking Shop Vac. We recently used ours for similar applications and it worked perfectly. The hose idea may work better, if your water pressure is good. Does  the mushroom cap on the bottom drain have enough clearance?

We had a problem once when our plastic nubbies on the home made bottom drain broke off, and there wasn't enough water going through the opening.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 12:09:24 PM »
What a welcome home   :-\ .  You must have had too much fun on your cruise  :D  Can't help you with the toilet problem but you say hornwort may have gotten in there?  DO you remember my asking if hornwort was good?  ;D  I felt bad asking since you had so many large specimens of it in your pond.  But now I feel confident that I asked  {:-P;;

Hope you find out what caused the problem and that your fish are fine.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 02:04:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's hornwort that got sucked up into the drain.  I usually thin it out but because I'm struggling with green water this year I left it alone....  I should have given you MUCH more  ;D

I tried the shop vac method without success.  :(   Tomorrow I will try plan 'B' and use air to see if I can blow it out.  That means I'll have to get wet and remove the mushroom cap from the drain in order to allow the debris to come out.....

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 02:29:57 PM »
Hope you don't find anything fishy  :o  :D

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Clogged Bottom Drain.... Photos added - Problem fixed!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 02:13:26 PM »
When I awoke this morning my fish were in distress.  They were very lethargic and gasping for air.  A few weren't moving at all....  I really felt bad....  It was 92 yesterday and fortunately it was MUCH cooler today, in the low 70's.  Even so, I needed to take immediate action.  My fish had never suffered like this before due to good aeration from a venturi and waterfall.  I put my plan to clear my clogged drain on hold while I figured out a way to oxygenate the water.  My son suggested rigging up something and using his air compressor.  I took a section of left-over vinyl tubing from my drip irrigation system, crimped one end, poked a lot of small holes in it and then attached two heavy lead weights to hold it down.  The air nozzle was a nice snug fit into the open end of the vinyl tubing and black electrical tape held it in place. 

He set the pressure to 18lbs and that put out a lot of air bubbles.  After about 15 minutes the fish started to show significant improvement.

Now to clear the clogged bottom drain.  My first attempt yesterday with the shop vac didn't work.  My attempt this morning was to take the garden hose and use water pressure to blow the clog back out through the bottom drain.  I disconnected a section of pipe just in from of my leaf basket in order to place the hose inside the pipe.  I wrapped the hose with a rag to make for a snug fit and then jammed it into the pipe and wrapped some electrical tape around it to hold it in place.  I then got into the pond and removed the mushroom shaped cap over the bottom drain in order to allow the clog to be blown out without interference from the cap.

I opened up the ball valve leading to the bottom drain and while I held the hose tightly against the pipe I had my son turn on the water.  My son said he saw air bubbles and debris coming out of the area of the bottom drain.  I felt great relief.

Next I had to replace the mushroom cap to the bottom drain and that required me taking another dive.  Having learned from yesterday's experience my son rigged up a 5lb lead weight which I wore around my neck to counter my buoyancy and enable me to stay submerged near the bottom enough in order to line up the three pegs of the mushroom cap with the three sleeves in the bottom drain.  I also borrowed my son's swimming mask this time so I could see what I was doing....  That's the 5lb lead weight in my hand.  I wonder if this is how Jimmy Hoffa felt? :D  The pond is about 3' deep here and I'm on my knees.

After several attempts I finally got the posts of the mushroom cap aligned into the sleeves of the bottom drain.

In the ten+ years I've had the pond I have never had a complete blockage to the bottom drain necessitating me to take the actions described above and I didn't particularly want to repeat this diving experience.  I had a black plastic crate that just fit over the mushroom cap of the bottom drain.  I felt that if I put this over the drain, large floating plant material such as my hornwort would not be able to get sucked into the drain.  I took the 5lb lead weight and attached it to the top of the crate to hold it in place and then placed it over the bottom drain. 

After reconnecting my bottom drain pipe to the leaf basket and opening the ball valves I turned on the pump and was VERY pleased to see I once again had water flow @O@ @O@

Hopefully I will never have to repeat this experience again.  However, my lack of aeration equipment did bring to my attention the need to be prepared for emergencies....  And yes, I immediately took a shower....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:24:20 PM by Mikey »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Clogged Bottom Drain.... Photos Added. Problem Fixed!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »
 @O@ I'm glad you saved the day.  Great job MacGyver...errr Mikey!  Photos say it all!  I see your very pretty red and white comet.

With a little more aeration you can have a natural cold spring!   :D

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 05:16:52 PM »
Good job.  But I have one question, where was your snorkel?

Glad to hear that you cleared your clog and your fish are happy.

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 06:00:34 PM »
Glad tht's over, and nice you have a handy son around.
I have no bottom drain.  At the time I knew nothing about one.  My Skippy works well and I have clear water.  Now I am wondering if I am better off NOT having a bottom drain???
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 09:06:08 PM »
LOL, Mikey, you look a little unhappy in those photos!   ;)

I'm glad you got your drain cleared finally.  Are those baby fishies I see swimming over your bare back in the second picture (of your dive, that is), or are they something else?  I don't envy you your dive...I'd hate to have to go underwater in my pond right now.   :P

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »
Kim: I didn't like the thought of constantly blowing out pond water through the snorkel.... Was bad enough having that stuff in my ears & hair....  :D

Jerry:  I caused the problem by having lots and lots of hornwort in the pond.  I believe hornwort is one of Roark's favorite pond plants  {:-P;;  If I had removed about a foot of water I wouldn't have had to go diving but I didn't have another pump to pump out the water  ::)  What I like about the bottom drain is that I don't have to vacuum the bottom.  I guess one dive in ten years is okay.  At the least the water temp was nice.....albeit dirty.....  I was glad the turtles didn't nip at my toes  :D

Yes Sandye, I was less than pleased about having to swim with the fishes.....  :P  Those small fish are mosquito fish.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 09:35:31 AM »
I was glad the turtles didn't nip at my toes  Cheesy

lol They know who the big fish is!!  lol  I wouldn't have braved it without a diving suit from head to toe.  Just wading in my pond during clean up I need to wear thick thigh high socks because the nibbling from the fish freak me out  ?)(?.  Now if the turtles were in the pond...I'd have to borrow Jerry's Turtle Motel.  :D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"