Author Topic: Photos...frogs, frogs and more frogs...  (Read 781 times)

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Photos...frogs, frogs and more frogs...
« on: May 23, 2008, 02:18:46 PM »
The other evening I realized after dark that I had forgotten my cell phone out by the pond so I went back to retrieve it.  While I knew we had lots of frogs around the pond during the day, I wasn't aware that the party really gets started at the pond after dark.  I got my phone and then just stood back and watched...the frogs and toads hopped in in droves from all over the back yard.  The pond....the neighborhood amphibian hotspot ;D 

The next morning, both ponds had eggs everywhere.  I already had some tadpoles in the shallows behind the irises. @O@  I have never seen so many frog and toad eggs though.

Anyway... I took some photos the next day.

Frog on a wire.  There are several more hidden in the shadows.

three more

Little grey tree frog. 

Just a view of the pond...dwarf hibisicus in bloom and my old faithful yellow unnamed lily.  It just blooms and blooms and blooms o(:-)  The pickerel was blooming, too, but I accidently decapitated them when I took off the predator net. :P

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Photos...frogs, frogs and more frogs...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 02:22:59 PM »
Great pics.  Your pond is lovely.  I'm jealous; wish I had more frogs. 

I did discover that this year, now I have some kind of tree frog, I believe, that makes a LOUD call, about dusk, and into the evening.  I can almost pinpoint his voice, but have not yet seen him.  I hope he has a mate somewhere, and they do the egg thing in my pond. 

Around the yard, I also hear other smaller-voiced tree frogs, that do more of a peeping.  Haven't seen many toads this year, but did get some eggs after a spring rain.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 03:34:48 PM »
I was just out there, 5:pm and hot, and heard another frog begin some tentative calls.  This is another kind.  Will have to listen to my Texas Amphibian CD to identify the calls.

I bet you, I just bet, that having removed the salt from my pond has invited more of the frog / toad critters back into the yard.  I've seen more dragonflies, too.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 03:46:11 PM »
A ponding friend told me that a good frog population in the pond means good water conditions.  Makes sense, though, about the salt.

I love our little froggies.  o(:-) We have a lot of dragonflies and damselflies....I have to let them out of the net every afternoon, though {:-P;;  The get in and can't find their way out.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"