Author Topic: Snakes! (No photos)  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Snakes! (No photos)
« on: May 24, 2008, 10:46:43 AM »
Roark found a really big rat snake near the concrete pond in town yesterday. Well colored, about three feet long and maybe 3 inches in diameter - big fat female.
He promptly named her "Sybil", and left instructions that she was a protected and beloved pet.  :D

So today, I was working in the lily pond, up to my knees in the water, clearing out hydrilla, and something slithers past my ankle.

You know, I'm kewl about snakes. I'd rather have a fat garter snake than a thousand baby toads squishing beneath my feet... but when something hidden slithers past - your first reaction isLOCH NESS MONSTER.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Snakes! (No photos)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 11:00:13 AM »
 lolOMG!! I think my first reaction would have been walking on water out of the pond then changing my underwear! {:-P;;

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »
lolOMG!! I think my first reaction would have been walking on water out of the pond then changing my underwear! {:-P;;
Me too Tracey.... a few years ago I was fiddling around in the little pond in the gh...and something touched my hand....I freaked out and started emptying the pond...it was a frog  lol....I don't sweat the snakes....I just don't want them touching any part of me  :o
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 12:21:04 PM »
Hmmm...I don't think I will be able to stand still in the pond after feeling it slithering by.  But then again I'm deadly afraid of snakes so I would high tail out of the water for sure.  When I first moved into the house back in 2000, a bull snake (not 100% sure) was under the tap out in the yard and since I didn't notice it there, I went and turned it on to water the flowers.  It slithered off quickly and I sweared I was the fastest running woman in the world for the 2 seconds I ran back into the house!! ;D

Kuan

Offline Loritx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 06:58:44 PM »
 :D  My biggest fear living in Texas is Snakes!!!   

Today while working on the stream bed, planting some of the edges, my only thought while pulling out the gravel is "SNAKE"!!!  :D   Then I get ready to plant the last spot and something 'wiggled'!  :-\   It was only a Catapiller!!!  Whew!!  But it was a BIG one!!!! ::)

I am always finding garden snakes under pots that I have sunk into the flowerbeds, when I pull them out for the winter. And snake skins here and there.  But so far nothing too big!
Lori TX

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 07:25:21 PM »
Snake's don't bother me much either . Usally after the frist "surprise" that one is there , I'm ok with it & by then it's slithered off some where else. I don't think I'd like to have one rub against my leg's while in the pond tho....kinda creepy....LOL ...

bonnie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 08:05:29 PM »
Thanks Sunbeam for not posting that photo.  I don't really care to see photos of the creatures in too true to life shots.  Gives me the willies!  If I had a snake like the one in your situation everyone in a 5 block radius would have heard a blood curdling scream!!!

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »
I would crap myself if a snake swam past me even 10 feet away!  There was an 18" garter snake just near the pond a couple years ago and I couldn't get within 10 feet of the pond for two days then later I found it away from the pond so I managed to get the nerve up to scoop it into a pail and relocate it a mile away to a bigger, natural, body of water.  They just freak me out and it's all I can do not to scream like a little girl and/or beat it to death with the nearest shovel.

Bart

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"