Author Topic: Native orchids  (Read 936 times)

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Native orchids
« on: May 26, 2008, 09:44:39 AM »
I found these growing in a soggy meadow near our crawfish pond.  This is my photo, taken with my primitve digital camera.  I walked back out into the swamp this morning (90 degrees by ten in the morning, sauna like humidity :P) with a bucket and a shovel.  I took a few plants and potted them. 

This photo is by a real photographer, from google images.

I've never seen them here before and it took some googling to find out what they are.  They are a fairly common native orchid called ladies tresses (spiranthes sp.)  They like moist conditions, so I think they will like the soggy areas around the berm of the pond once they get established.  They are quite beautiful. o(:-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Native orchids
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:07:02 AM »
Very nice!  Great find in your own backyard.  What kind of roots do they have?

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 02:20:14 PM »
It has fleshy tubers.

I have been trying to get out to the back of our place...the real wilderness parts...there are all kinds of boggy/aquatic treasures out there. 

About five years ago we had a massive bloom of american lotus in some natural ponds.  It was amazing!  It was before i dug the pond, so I didn't even think about grabbing seed pods!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 11:03:57 PM »
Wow, make s me want to take a wlak down to the creek to see if there is anything I can find for my pond  {:-P;;  I've only picked watercress.

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:05:56 AM »
What a nice find!   O0  One word of caution- be careful to hose off all dirt really well from any plants dug in the wild... I dug up some cattails growing wild in a ditch along the road and potted them up dirt and all and put in the pond, and very soon after, had a terrible bout with anchor worms on my fish... Perhaps it was a coincidence, but that was the only time it ever happened and I believe I brought them to my pond from the ditch....It is a good idea to at least rinse well, if not sterilize... Just a little advice  {:-P;;
Joey

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 05:17:16 PM »
Those are pretty neat.  O0
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"