Author Topic: filters  (Read 925 times)

Offline john k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/10/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
filters
« on: May 30, 2008, 07:58:19 PM »
hello everyone, I have a 2000 gallon pond and a skimmer on it. I am running a skippy filter but the pump is in the skimmer, is that going to be a problem with circulating and cleaning the water from the bottom of the pond?

Offline Birdman

• Members
  • With us since: 18/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: filters
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 06:47:25 AM »
Yes, A skimmer only draws water from the top of the pond.  The heavier than water solids settle out on the bottom of the pond and the skimmer won't remove them.  this is why we put bottom drains in ponds to remove and filter out the heavier than water solids that sink to the bottom.
Steve Joneli
High desert Koi Ponds
541-408-3317
www.highdesertkoi.com

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 06:57:30 AM »
John, I assume you do not have a bottom drain, you can always add a retro-bottom drain if you wanted. However I think there are many members here that do not have bottom drains at all, maybe if you post your question over in the "construction and filtration" topics area, more people without bottom drains can give you some direction with regards to circulation and how they handle their sediment on the pond floor. Pictures are always a good idea as well! Good luck.

Greg

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 06:05:49 PM »
Hey there.. I dont have a bottom drain on mine and although I do wish I did, I make out good.. I just have to vacuum the bottom of mine but not very much.. surprising I get very little on the bottom and so far I dont have any green water, never have, not even spring start up.. not sure why I dont, I just know some day I will wake up and experience it.  I have two biological skippies which I have yet to touch, this will be there 3rd year.  just trying out the method of not ever cleaning it will see how it goes as it ages.    I also have a DIY filter on my pumps before they hit the skippy. 

tinkster

Offline john k

• Members
  • With us since: 01/10/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 03:58:04 PM »
thanks for everones help, I had the owner of skippy filters come over my house, there shop is a mile away, thinking about adding a mini filter to the bigger one . thanks

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"